Chapter 10: Roots
128 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A special thanks to Uta for drawing this story's first illustration! 

If you are interested in more of his work or commissioning him, please go to his artstation portfolio and email him!

artstation.com/uta
[email protected]
Discord: Uta#3171

Idyia of Tribe Tethys - 5th Level Dark Elven Assassin


I ripped up the bedsheets and used them to perform basic first-aid on my attacker then bound her with my bowstring. Her wounds were deep, but I made sure not to hit anything vital when I shot her, so they weren’t lethal unless I just let her bleed out. The makeshift gauze would hold until I got her proper medical treatment. The real issue was an infection. I had no way to sterilize those wounds. Strong alcohol might work, but I didn’t have any on hand and this was an inn, not a tavern. I dragged my prisoner to a chair and used what was left of my bowstring to bind her arms to the backrest. Then I pulled up a chair right in front of hers.

“Don’t speak too loudly,” I warned. The woman glared fiercely but didn’t answer. I sighed and pulled the pillow sheet out of her mouth.

“You speak Elvish. Are you a Half-Elf?” She asked as soon as she was ungagged.

Now I’m speaking a different language? How the hell does Comprehend Languages even work? I need to figure out how to control it as soon as possible. Or I could end up saying something that fucks me over down the road.

“No, I’m 100% human. Now it’s my turn: who are you and why are you here?”

The woman remained silent and I clicked my tongue.

“Listen, if you give me information now, I’ll let you go.”

That got her attention.

“If you don’t, I’ll drag you to Princess Renalis. She’s far more draconian than I am if you catch my drift.”

“I worked for the late Lord Cedric Hasting. You slew him tonight, I sought to kill you to mend my reputation among the other nobles.”

I leaned back in my own chair.

“So you’re a mercenary.”

She spat at my cheek. “I am an Assassin.”

“And who were you supposed to assassinate? The Princess? You fucked that one up. Royally,” I quipped and thumbed off her saliva.

“No, Lord Hasting needed the Princess alive to access the royal treasury. I was hired to kill all of King Folad’s supporters within the courts. I have been acting as a bodyguard since.”

This explained why King Folad had no supporters when the coup occurred. She killed them all.

“Why are you being so open about this, now?”

“My benefactor is slain. There is no point in keeping his secrets. You shall release me, correct?”

“I could be lying.”

“You do not have the face of one. Some men are natural liars, others are trained, you are neither.”

I grunted but didn’t argue. “How do you know I killed Hasting?”

“I was standing guard from atop the castle. I heard your Spell too late, but I traced the direction of the echo and saw you fleeing into the streets.”

“What makes you so sure Hasting is dead?”

“A Spell was cast upon his person that informs me of his Health. I felt it vanish in an instant and the Spell shattered after, which would only happen upon his death.”

“How did you avoid the Alliance quota?” It was obvious she wasn’t Classless.

“The Dark Elves are a fringe race of nomads. We are not part of the Alliance.”

“If I let you go, will you bring harm to me or my friends?”

“I will try to avoid it, in return for your mercy.”

“What will you do after I let you go?”

“I shall return to my tribe and find new work. Hasting only paid me half of what was promised and the other half would be after he accessed the royal treasury.”

“So that means you are looking for employment, now?”

The dark elf tilted her head.

“I’m a champion, so I’ll be heading to the frontlines soon.”

“You wish for a partner?”

“Our skill sets are similar and you’re pretty strong. I want someone who won’t slow me down.”

Lydia and Anna were beautiful people, but Lydia would stay in Renalis to lead her kingdom and Anna would remain beside her. I couldn’t ask either of them to fight against the demon hordes. I needed to plan for the future.

She paused, then spoke firmly. “If you can provide my tribe with enough Magic Crystals to last one human lifetime, then I shall join you.”

I really hope that wasn’t as much as she’s implying.

I stood up and unbound her. She rubbed her wrists but otherwise didn’t make any dangerous moves.

“Deal. The name’s Levin.”

“I am Idyia of Tribe Tethys.”

With Idyia’s foot mangled, I had to carry her out of the inn and through the streets in a potato sack to avoid suspicion. She put up no argument, but I could tell by the glare in her eyes she was pissed off. I didn’t return her items or weapons yet. Money didn’t exchange hands, so that meant her services were still vaporous. To be honest, I wasn’t entirely sure Idyia would actually follow me. But her diligent attitude toward her own reputation spoke volumes about how dedicated she was to her work once she was paid. She didn’t need to chase after a Hero like me; once Hasting died, there was no way she was going to get paid the other half she was owed. Cutting her losses and running was definitely the safer of the two options, but she hounded me anyway.

Lydia was livid when I finally returned with the injured dark elf the next morning. After introducing her, Idyia knelt before the Princess despite her foot wounds. Anna’s lips were drawn back in thin lines while Lydia unleashed a torrent of heat from every part of her body.

“Pay her for me and I’ll take it as an apology for turning me into your personal hitman.”

“There are better options! I can find you a more honorable and trustworthy partner!”

“I am a 5th Level Assassin,” Idyia spoke up for the first time and Lydia snapped at her.

“Silence, cur!”

“There won’t be anyone else as strong as she is in Renalis, Lydia. You said it yourself. Please.” I stepped in front of both women and held my ground. Though I said please, it wasn’t voiced as a request.

“With all due respect, Princess,” Anna interrupted. “Place your trust in Levin, not in the Dark Elf. He has done much and with Lord Hasting slain, the throne is yours to claim. Surely, the kingdom can spare the Magic Crystals.”

“She’s a Dark Elf!” Lydia motioned wildly at Idyia and I was floored at the open show of racism.

“If the Kingdom of Renalis is willing to fund my whole tribe for a single human lifetime, then I shall enter into a geas with Ranger Levin.”

That cooled Lydia down if the falling temperature was any indication of her mood. “A geas? Very well, I shall be the one to cast it then.” She snatched my hand and then grabbed Idyia by the scalp. I could smell her flesh burning and saw strands of hair fall from her head. I read enough mythology and watched enough anime to understand what a geas was. A part of me wanted to stop this from happening, but I opted to remain silent. Lydia and I had no idea how truly trustworthy Idyia was. This would ensure Idyia’s compliance and satisfy Lydia’s ire. I needed a powerful ally if I wanted any chance of seeing Rebecca again. But how many more times would I compromise on my ideals to do so?

“In the name of Dragon-King Bahamut, God of Righteous Dragons, I seal your fate:

Idyia of Tribe Tethys, you are bound, soul and body, to obey any and all words, thoughts, and intentions of your master, Joseph ‘Levin’ Barnett. Upon breaking this taboo, your body and soul shall be burnt to oblivion by the Dragon-King’s everlasting fire.”

“I accept this geas.” I saw a glowing draconic symbol appear over Idyia’s heart and it melted beneath her leather armor out of sight. For the first time since I met her, I saw Idyia wince in pain but the twisted expression was soon replaced by a familiar look of apathy.

“It is done,” Lydia marched back to her chair. “Anna, arrange a room for our new guest.” The maid nodded once and moved to assist Idyia out of the room. I made to follow them.

“Levin, you stay.”

Anna shut the door on me and it felt like a noose was being wrapped around my neck. I turned to face Lydia.

“I am hurt and betrayed. You promised my kingdom’s support without even consulting me first. It is fully within my right as a ruler to execute you for your hubris.”

I had no excuse. This was a purely selfish move. I had no money, so I mooched off of Lydia’s future wealth. But I needed to take every opportunity I could to improve my chances of returning to Rebecca. From all that Lydia implied, reaching 4th Level was a rarity, even among an entire kingdom. Idyia was too much of an asset to my goal to just ignore.

“You know I won’t hurt you, Levin. But I will have you make it up to me.”

“Was killing your ex-fiance not enough?” I couldn’t help but jab. She shook her head, as she took the joke seriously.

“No. I am now free to court, which means nobles will try to arrange a marriage with me. But most of those Houses are traitors, and I have no real desire to marry any spawn born of the Houses that turned on my family. So that leaves me with one option.” She eyed me expectantly.

“You can’t be serious.”

“Will you condemn me to a loveless marriage, Levin?”

“We’ve known each other for a week-and-a-half!”

“And that was enough for me to choose you, even if it wasn’t enough for you to choose me.”

“Then what about my opinion?!”

“You ignored mine, so I will ignore yours.”

“I could just leave, right now. No one here can stop me.”

“Then you will condemn Idyia to die by dragonfire and I will lose the only legitimate reason anyone would support my claim to the throne.”

I sighed. She had me cornered. I wouldn’t leave her alone like that. I wouldn’t abandon Lydia and Anna.

“Even if you don’t return my feelings, at least wear my House name and give me children I want to raise. I won’t interfere with any of your plans, otherwise.”

“Lydia, I’m not going to stay! I’m going back to Earth! I have no intention of putting up roots here!”

“What if you cannot return, Levin?”

“W-what?”

“What if you cannot return to Earth? Killing a Demon God - I’ve never read or heard of that happening. Can you kill Goddess Seras?”

“I-I don’t know.”

Kill Seras? She could crossover between universes and pluck my soul straight out of my dying body. If there was anyone worthy of the word god, then it would be Seras.

“That is the scale of the task you must accomplish, Levin. Rather than stake your hopes on an unattainable wish, stay here with Anna and me. We will love you enough to make up for your loss, I promise.”

“I can’t just abandon Rebecca! She was in her sophomore year at Stanford! Jesus Christ, I’m not even sure if she knows how to do her own taxes! I never taught her-”

“Levin!” Lydia’s cry brought me out of my spiral of anxiety and depression.

“I can’t leave my daughter. I’m sorry. I’m either going to return to her or die trying.”

Lydia sulked for a moment then glided over to me and cupped my cheeks with her hands. Tears rimmed her eyes.

“Then at least pretend to love me, for just one night. I want to choose my first lover, at least.”

I cringed at the look of longing in her eyes. But this was what she wanted most, so I leaned forward and drew her into a gentle kiss. She returned my conservative lips with passion that burnt white hot. I peeled away her clothes and carried her to the bed to make love to her. I brought her pleasure. I moaned her name. I worshiped her body. I mated with her all night and into the late morning. I tried to pretend I was going to stay by her side, forever. I tried to pretend I wasn’t going to leave. We both basked in the comfort of false love. The shared intimacy was hot, ardent, and full of unspoken lust. We convinced each other wholly under this lie for just one night.

She eventually fell asleep on my chest while I stared at the ceiling. Warm tears fell from her cheeks and onto my shoulder. Was it joy or sadness? I hugged Lydia tightly to my body and was overwhelmed by a wave of soul-crushing guilt for the emotions that I suddenly felt.

Was it because part of me wanted to stay? Or was it because part of me wanted to leave?

6