2. Do You Want To Rewrite Your Past?
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a letter from her old man to her. The handwriting was a bit messy because Heisuke couldn't hold anything without his hand shaking. Yet, he still courteously penned a full-page letter.

The last love letter he left behind to her.

Hisaki started to read it.

'My sweet pea, my sweetheart, Hisaki,

Forgive me for the cheesy intro. I really hope I could say that thousands of times to make up for the time I'm not there with you anymore. I think when you find this letter, I might already leave you.

My love, I know that my time is almost up. Instead of fearing death, I'm so afraid to leave you behind. I really wish that we could be together longer but, I know it's impossible.

My sweetheart, I dearly cherish the days we're together, whether in happiness or sorrow. At the very least, I know that both of us feel the same. Didn't you often say our hearts are one?

My light, if there's one thing that I really regret, it's the absence of a child between us. If not for me, we might have a child that could accompany you in my stead, the one who would look after you and care for you the same I do. Please forgive me.

My sweet pea, meeting you and being with you are something I won't ever trade even with the golds and glitters. You're always, always so beautiful and radiant to me.

My wife, I love everything about you. I'll wait until we meet again. Tell me the new things you experience while I'm away, okay? I'll listen to you.

Yours forever dear husband,

Heisuke'

"...hic... huu... huu..."

Hisaki put the letter away. Her tears burst as if dams were broken. Deep sadness, grief and regret overwhelmed her little old heart.

Before, whenever she cried, there was someone holding her close and gently coaxing her.

Once her cries subsided, Heisuke would pick her up and bring her to the kitchen. He would prepare a glass of warm milk for her.

As he got older and weaker, he could only hold her hand as he led her to the kitchen. Yet, he didn't forget the milk.

Now, she could only cry alone.

Hisaki carefully folded the letter and put it back inside the envelope. With the letter in her hand, she walked out of the bedroom. Her feet brought her to the living room where she could see the flower beds in the yard.

Once Hisaki opened the sliding door, a cold gust of wind caressed her face. Her eyes fell on the swaying petals and leaves as the breeze blew past them.

As she sat alone on the porch, memories of the past surged from the depth of her mind.

Hisaki escaped to this port city after her successful divorce from her abusive ex-husband. Her patriarchal grandfather sold her off to the man because of money.

Although he was handsome, young and rich, the scum man never managed to snatch Hisaki's heart. He could only forcefully ravage her body to vent his anger and frustrations.

Because of him, Hisaki miscarried twice. That man also damaged her right wrist during his final act of abuse.

Her younger brother and her best friend managed to get her out of the hell hole. They also fought against the rich man's legal team. With concrete evidence as other criminal charges fell on him, Hisaki could finally escape.

Despite being freed from the man's clutches, Hisaki's mind and heart were gravely wounded.

Hisaki met Heisuke through the man's sickly mother, Mrs. Saeki Yasumi. She was able to secure a job at the local nursing home through her best friend's connection. The old lady stayed there.

Through the woman, Hisaki knew that her only son was imprisoned. She also got to know Shuuya and Aino who often came to visit Heisuke's mother.

The couple didn't force her to not doubt Heisuke but, they explained the matters that led to his imprisonment.

After three years, Heisuke was released from prison. They met shortly after when the man came to the nursing home. Heisuke was cold yet he thanked her for taking care of his mother.

Starting from that, their friendship developed from just being mere acquaintances. In three years, they got married after passing through the hurdles in their lives.

"Darling, I miss you."

Hisaki whispered to the wind as she continued reminiscing the past.

To be honest, Hisaki never expected that she would remarry after the torment she had to endure from her previous husband. Yet, Heisuke always made her feel safe despite his face rarely showing a warm expression.

Heisuke opened a small convenience shop to sustain their livelihood. They were far from rich but, they still didn't have to worry about not having food or shelter.

Hisaki slowly got up from the wooden porch. She wore her slippers before she made her way to one of the flower beds.

"The flowers would wilt soon," murmured Hisaki.

She lightly touched the petals of the daffodils. Under the bright moonlight, the daffodils appeared as if they were dancing in the wind.

"Darling..."

Hisaki closed her eyes.

"I really, really miss you."

Whoosh!

Hisaki abruptly opened her eyes.

In shock, she saw the daffodils swayed vigorously as if they were blown by a harsh wind. Gradually, they parted in two sides, revealing a path in front of her.

"...what's happening?"

The tiny balls of lights rose from the path. They floated above the path while a few surrounded Hisaki, bathing her in their glow.

'Do you want to rewrite your past?'

Hisaki was stunned. An unfamiliar voice echoed in the quiet yard.

"Who are you? Show yourself!"

Hisaki looked at her left and right yet, she found no one.

The voice chuckled softly.

'Follow the path. You may have the happier path that you desire.'

Hisaki pursed her lips. What she experienced right now was something far from what a human could imagine.

In more than six decades of her life, Hisaki never thought she would face such a situation. Her heavily pounding heart rang in her ears. The balls of lights were still dancing around her.

'Isn't that what you wish for?'

Hisaki let out a breath. She made up her mind.

Whether this was a trick by someone or not, she won't lose anything.

"I'll go," said Hisaki in determination.

Hisaki clutched the envelope in her hands. She lifted up her right foot.

Once she entered the path of the flower bed, a huge bright light appeared right in front of her, almost blinding her eyes. Cold wind surrounded her body before it vanished instantly.

When Hisaki opened her eyes, she didn't see the flower bed and starry night sky anymore. Instead, she was greeted by a familiar yet nostalgic view.

"...what... really?"

Hisaki found that she was lying on a futon. Her eyes widened the moment she recognized where she was.

This was her childhood bedroom!

The walls that were stained with rust-colored spillages, the old study desk that often creaked whenever she used it, the brown curtains hanging at the window and a closet that lost one of its doors...

This was really her childhood bedroom!

Hisaki looked at her hands. The wrinkly and blotched skin of her hands was changed into a pair of skinny yet young ones.

Despite the bizarre occurrence, she still had the envelope!

Hisaki frantically opened the envelope. She didn't realize her entire body was trembling.

"...thank goodness."

The letter written by Heisuke was still the same. No word had been changed nor did the condition appear off.

Hisaki put the letter under the futon. She got up and walked to the mirror hanging on the wall.

Yes, she had indeed returned to the past.

Instead of seeing her face weathered down by decades of harsh years, she saw a face of a young lady who was at the peak of her youth.

A pair of bright and clear eyes stared back at Hisaki through the reflection. Her plump lips with a pinkish hue added more charm to her palm-sized face. Her dark long hair cascaded behind her, almost reaching her waist.

'What had really happened?'

Hisaki took a couple of deep breaths, trying to clear her mind. She looked around the room. A mobile phone lay on the study desk, appeared quite old.

Once again, she was shocked.

She returned forty years to the past?!

--------

Author's Note: I teared up re-reading the last love letter when editing this chapter :'(

0