Vol. 1 Chapter 039: Relationship with Russia
185 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In March 1891, Archbishop Kliment became lively upon his return from St. Petersburg. It was clear that the trip to Russia had gone well, and he was in a good mood.

Three days later, he was pushing the idea of the merits of United Russia. Now the cabinet members had to go around when they saw him. They didn't have the guts to decide without Ferdinand's nod.

After seeing that the official route did not work, Kliment now set his sights on Ferdinand. He was no longer content to ease relations with Russia merely. Instead, he wanted to make relations between Russia and Bulgaria go further, at best to establish a strong alliance.

"Your Highness, Russia is Bulgaria's natural ally. We have been helped by Russia since the War of Independence. Although there have been some shortcomings, those were issues during the Stambolov's cabinet. For the sake of Bulgaria's better future, an alliance with Russia is a must! Believe me, I can swear on God's name!" Kliment spoke with great passion, trying to infect Ferdinand with words.

They can see that Kliment does not grasp politics. If not, he would not have brought it up in such a big way at the ministerial meeting.

The conflict between Bulgaria and Russia during Stambolov's time gave rise to Ferdinand's rise to power. Anyone with a bit of political sense would have chosen to avoid it not to embarrass Ferdinand.

Although he spoke with great passion, but the crowd did not have much reaction. It was too vague, and there was no real substance to it. Of course, it's important for Russia, but what about the actual benefits for Bulgaria? How to get the support of the crowd if you can't see this!

Ferdinand took over and said, "You're right, Your Eminence. It' s true that relations with Russia are important! The problem is the relations between Russia and Bulgaria, which involve both us and Russia, and are not decided solely by us!"

"At the same time, we must consider international ties in full, as well as the attitudes of the other great powers! At least the stance of Britain and Austria-Hungary will have to be taken into account!"

It turned out that Kliment really did not know much about politics and was a mere pro-Russian, which was too much for him in terms of international relations.

His position in the cabinet was given only by Ferdinand to ease relations with Russia and show the sincerity of Bulgaria on his visits, with almost no specific powers.

At this time, the knock on the door "thump thump... thump thump " sounded.

"Come in!" Ferdinand said, aware that no one would disturb a cabinet meeting unless something big happened.

The Chamberlain, Karl, hurried in, went to Ferdinand and said, "Your Highness, the international situation is about to change radically! News has just arrived from Berlin that on March 17, the Russian ambassador to Germany, Pavel Shuvalov, offered Berlin a six-year extension of the German-Russian Reinsurance Treaty, which was rejected by the German government!"

The crowd was shocked that the German-Russian alliance was just about to end. The international situation was about to face a major shakeup.

Even the apolitical Kliment knew that Bulgaria's foreign policy would have to be revised.

Ferdinand thought about it and said, "It was expected, but I just didn't expect it to come so quickly! Some saw it coming from the start of the German-Russian trade conflict, and then the dissolution of the Three Emperors League. No one expected that Bismarck made another reinsurance treaty. Now that the old chancellor has stepped down, Wilhelm II, who desperately needs to prove himself, naturally can't wait!"

It's preaching to the cabinet about international issues. For a long time, they messed up Bulgaria's foreign relations. The main thing is that the eyes were limited to the Balkans and failed to understand the international situation clearly.

"Your Highness, so what should we do next to adjust our foreign policy?" Metev, who is in charge of foreign affairs, asked tensely.

Ferdinand asked in return, "What do you all think?"

Konstantin thought about it and said, "Your Highness, until the international situation is calmed down, it is not proper for us to get directly involved. Bulgaria is only a small country and does not have the ability to influence the international crisis, so it is better to improvise!"

Ferdinand nodded in approval. Ferdinand would have made the same choice if he hadn't known where it headed in history next.

After all, Bulgaria is only a small country. One wrong step, there is a risk of disaster; even if you win the bet, the harvest is limited. So it is better to make the right move.

Historically, from the beginning of Konstantin's policy, Bulgaria has flexibly exploited international conflicts to the left and right. It worked well at first and got pulled in by various countries.

But in the later years, when the two major blocks of the international arena founded, Bulgaria, which attempted to play left and right, paid a terrible price.

In the Second Balkan War, Russia, discontent with Bulgaria's indecision, choose the more committed Serbia. Likewise, Austria-Hungary had doubts about Bulgaria's position and left Bulgaria behind in the end.

Kliment was anxious. He also knew that the next international foreign affairs would be very difficult for Russia. The value of the Russian-Bulgarian alliance, too, would be greatly reduced, which was difficult for him to accept.

After a few moments of silence, Ferdinand knew that the cabinet should take note that it is too difficult for them. After all, they are suddenly promoted in a hurry and have no experience in this area.

"Now the international situation has changed greatly, it''s not for us to meddle in where it goes next. Hence the general policy is to maintain stability and continue to keep relations with Britain and Austria stable. At the same time, we must pay close to Russian relations and continue to promote relations between the two countries. We also need to ease relations with the Balkan countries as much as possible to lay the foundation for the next economic development!" Ferdinand made a surprising decision.

Although Kliment's politics were not mature enough, his political side was a bit stunned that Ferdinand, who had previously opposed the alliance with Russia, had now turned to support it.

Konstantin was the first to react. He smiled faintly, followed by the crowd who understood and nodded in content.

Bulgaria is poor in mineral resources. Therefore, to complete industrialization, it is necessary to bring things in from abroad. In terms of cost, Russia is the best choice.

The mineral-rich, poorly developed Ukrainian region and the Black Sea coast can provide Bulgaria with resources and a vast market. Therefore, Russian-Bulgarian relations will become the next most crucial diplomatic task for Bulgaria.

By now, Ferdinand still had some headaches. Moreover, the foreign affairs of the Balkan countries were quite shocking and a mess.

Initially, Serbia was pro-Austro-Hungarian, Greece and Romania were pro-German, and Bulgaria was pro-Russian. After the outbreak of Great War, Bulgaria, which was pro-Entente, joined the Central, and the pro-Central countries joined the Entente one after another.

"I think you'll have to make another trip to St. Petersburg, Your Eminence. We will strengthen the mutual relations between the two countries in the name of cultural and religious affairs. Is there any problem?" Ferdinand asked in a manner that one could not deny.

Kliment said at once, "No, no problem!" Although he did not figure out Ferdinand's foreign policy, the result is what he wants on the line.

4