Vol. 1 Chapter 051: Nikolai’s Visit
166 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since its crushing defeat in the Crimean War in 1856, Russia was dealt a heavy blow in the international struggle for control, forcing it to shift its focus of expansion to the Far East and the Pacific.

While Britain, the United States, Germany, and other countries also hoped to lure Russia to the Far East pastures and pushed on the other side.

Before the Sino-Japanese War broke out, the Great Powers did not see the weakness of the Qing Dynasty. They hoped that Qing Dynasty could take advantage of its geographical superiority and stall the expansion of Russia.

At that time, there was a trend of chauvinistic reverses in Russia. The Orientalists in the academic and cultural circles advocated: "Russian culture is more closely related to the East than it is to European culture. And they felt that it was Russia's historical mission to merge the East into the Russian Empire."

Motivated by his student, the Orientalist Ukhtomsky, Nikolai, at that time Crown Prince, traveled from 1890 to 1891 to Greece, Egypt, India, China, Japan, and other Eastern countries.

Probably because Russian-Bulgarian relations have eased, or perhaps because of the change in German policies on the continent, Russia has become more isolated than ever in Europe. Desperately in need of allies and intending to strengthen relations with Bulgaria, Nikolai added Bulgaria to the list of countries visited.

Since Russia threw an olive branch, Ferdinand stated without any hesitation by saying that he does not care.

Oh, that's all pure joy. Ferdinand immediately stopped what he was doing and hurried back to Sofia for fear of missing the time.

The above is purely based on a hobby.

Mainly Ferdinand had high expectations for Nikolai's visit. Geopolitically speaking, Russia is still the first diplomatic target of Bulgaria. Ferdinand could not afford not to pay attention and had to be prepared in advance.

In the capacity of the Crown Prince of Russia, Nikolai's visit is certainly not just a simple tour. As for what purpose, Ferdinand is still roughly clear.

There are only two points, and you can say one point, to further improve Russian-Bulgarian relations. It depends on the price given by Russia whether they will form the alliance or not.

'Once you enter the political arena as deep as the sea, from now on, the modesty becomes the road!'

Ferdinand ended his three-month national tour early and repurposed a train, which served as the monarch's special train, and returned to Sofia.

Sitting on the bumpy train, Ferdinand is leisurely sipping tea while looking into the distance through the window, with a pleased look on his face.

It is now April. Spring has returned to the earth. Everything is revived, another year of green grass and a spring flower red. In the wilderness, the grass has changed into bright green clothes. The earth is full of life.

Alisa came over gently, seemed to feel Ferdinand's good mood, and said with a smile, "Your Highness, just now Sofia sent a call that Crown Prince Nikolai has arrived in Ukraine. He will arrive in Burgas in three days and then take the railroad to Sofia!"

Ferdinand spewed out a mouthful of tea and asked in surprise, "What the hell? Didn't he say he was going to Greece first? Why did he suddenly change his route?"

Alisa threw a wink at Ferdinand and said with a smile, "The telegram said that it was the work of Archbishop Kliment. After hearing about the opening of the Sobu Railroad, he convinced Crown Prince Nikolai to change the first stop to Bulgaria!"

Ferdinand returned to his senses, realizing that he had lost his temper, and immediately regained his usual calm. He glared at Alisa, who was snickering on the side, and covering up his anxiety, said, "Oh! Archbishop Kliment is anxious to show Nikolai the results of the modernization of Bulgaria."

Alisa looked at Ferdinand will smile as if to say that you are at liberty, of course, no outsider here.

Ferdinand knew that he had no deterrent effect in front of Alisa. With that, his left hand pulled Alisa into his arms, and his right hand began to roam her body again, looking at Alisa with a bad smile.

Alisa was frightened. She was still very conservative. Although she had fallen into Ferdinand's clutches, she still did not intend to have daytime sex with him.

Seeing that she couldn't break free, Alisa said, "Your Highness, please stop it. I have work to do, and Sofia is waiting for a reply."

To Ferdinand's sense of decency, Alisa is not convinced, especially in beauty. The pile of dancing girls in the royal palace is proof.

Ferdinand smiled smugly and said, "Am I that scary? It's not like I'm going to eat you!"

Alisa was quick to say, "Your Highness, what is the next step of our journey? Should we continue back to Sofia or return directly to Burgas?"

He thought, 'You won't. If I had been a little more relaxed, I would have been by now ~~.'

Ferdinand let go of Alisa, pondered for a moment, and said, "The route remains the same, continue to Sofia!"

As soon as the words left his mouth, Alisa fled. Only Ferdinand was left there alone to lament, "Am I that scary? No, Alice must have been too stupid and wrongly understood what I meant. It must be!"

Bulgaria is a small country, and by the early morning departure into the late afternoon, Ferdinand had made it back to Sofia from Burgas.

Despite Ferdinand's exhaustion from the train ride for most of the day, he held a meeting at the royal palace at the temporary ministerial level.

Time is running out before Nikolai's arrival and what position Bulgaria should take towards him or how to face the ensuing Bulgarian-Russian relations.

Chekhov and Konstantin were at the Sofia Palace and smiled at each other when they met by chance. Chekhov looked at Konstantin and said, "Konstantin, how do you think we should face Russia next? Should we ally with them?"

Konstantin said calmly: "I'm afraid it depends on the sincerity of St. Petersburg, brought by Crown Prince Nikolai!"

Chekhov nodded with some concern. Now in Bulgaria, the pro-Russian faction has taken control of the majority. At the top of government, only he and Yakov, who slowly faded out of the government, are left as the anti-Russian faction.

Chekhov has always been deeply wary of Russia. He felt that Russia was not kind to Bulgaria and that even if they were allied, they would merely be used and not trusted! But he had little power, a view that had few supporters in the government.

Ferdinand, who dragged his somewhat tired body, concluded, "Well, everyone has agreed to strengthen relations with Russia! Then the next step is to leave the talks to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs!"

"The specific projects involved, which need to be decided by the government in the last few days, are in principle based on economic growth, such as importing mineral resources from Ukraine, introducing labor, etc.!"

"Today's meeting is classified as S-class confidential. No one is allowed to leak it to the outside world! I will punish violators for treason!"

3