Vol. 1 Chapter 055: Russian Secret Treaty
167 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Good! Russia can support Bulgaria's expansion in the Balkans to the extent that it holds back the other great powers. We will not send troops directly!" Nikolai had calmed down. Despite Ferdinand's tempting promises, the success rate was low, and he did not intend to invest too much.

Despite knowing Nikolai's plans, Ferdinand didn't care. He had already achieved his real goal!

For the sake of secrecy, the secret alliance with Russia must be a secret treaty, and the diplomatic impact will not be too great. Bulgaria can obtain plenty of mining and human resources from Russia and complete industrialization in the short term.

The international situation in the future has changed. Russia lost badly in the Russo-Japanese War and had just restored its strength and caught up with the Great War. Russia had even less chance to fulfill this strategy, and the plan would forever be the plan!

Historically Bulgaria was isolated in the Balkan Wars and will cease to exist. Of course, it is not yet clear, although the pro-Russian faction in Serbia came to power, now they are still the little minions of Austria-Hungary. Russia has no choice of allies at this moment.

Note: In 1891, Greece became the British domain, and Romania had already signed a treaty with Germany and Austria.

...

Having reached a preliminary agreement with Nikolai, Ferdinand breathed a deep sense of relief.

With the biggest problem of Bulgaria's development solved, the next step is an all-out development. It is crucial to seize the time and quickly leave behind the Balkan countries in terms of national power.

The negotiations that followed did not require Ferdinand's personal presence. Bulgaria had a lavish version of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, headed by Konstantin and Chekhov. Minister Ukhtomsky represented Russia.

It could be good news for Bulgaria. Does Minister Ukhtomsky look familiar to him? He is the "civil diplomat" who is active in St. Petersburg, Beijing, Shanghai, and Vladivostok.

He was a leader of the Russian Orientalists who advocated a strategic retreat in Europe and expansion into the Far East to create a 'Yellow Russia'.

Since Ferdinand and Nikolai have already had a showdown, the two sides have no major issues of disagreement in principle. Thus, the negotiations are advancing smoothly, and there are still some specific details to be negotiated.

Nikolai spent more than a month in Bulgaria and saw that negotiations were still out of reach. Ukhtomsky was again the main figure in the entourage and could not be left behind, which seriously affected his plans for his trip east.

"Mr. Ukhtomsky, can you speed up the progress some more? It's been over a month, and it's only half-finished!" Nikolai routinely urged.

"Your Imperial Highness, we are already making fast progress. We are just stuck on the details!" Ukhtomsky explained

Nikolai looked pale when he heard this and said with some anger, "It's stuck? Could it be that something has changed on the Bulgarian side, and they want to make a huge demand!"

"Oh, that's not it! Just some ordinary business talks, normal bargain?" Ukhtomsky was busy explaining that he didn't want anything to go wrong as the eastern faction's vanguard and affect the empire's eastern strategy.

Nikolai's face eased slightly, and he asked somewhat glumly, "So about how long will it take to finish?"

Ukhtomsky fumbled, "It's hard to say! Normal trade negotiations are very tricky. There are too many industries involved, and you can only talk one by one, and you have to find all kinds of information. So it's hard to say how long it will take to finish!"

Nikolai was startled and understood at once. A bold idea popped up in his head, "Since it is a normal trade agreement, why don't we just sign a draft first? The specific details will be taken over by someone from the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs later."

He said, "Mr. Ukhtomsky, why don't you sign the peace treaty first and leave the later talks to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?"

"Your Imperial Highness, that's not good! If we hand over like this, it will be difficult for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to do the work behind us. They can hardly grasp that degree!" said Minister Ukhtomsky, who was already in a state of duty.

Nikolai said briskly, "It does not matter. You can explain to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to release some goodwill properly. Anyway, as long as the zero-tariff agreement is signed, the Bulgarian market has been fully opened to us. A few details are not crucial at all!"

"All right then!" Ukhtomsky thought about this reasoning. It is more important to have an eastward strategy. The little interests in the Balkans are not worth mentioning compared to this aspect.

Nikolai does not yet know how much damage this hasty decision will bring to Russia in the future. He probably knows and does not know to care.

Before his departure, Ferdinand sent a hefty gift that also included a huge cheque for half a million pounds.

It is sort of soothing Nikolai's wounded heart, and one by one points up and down. He takes the shorthand. Hence, Nikolai's answer to release some goodwill is infinitely magnified.

Then with a lot of laughter, Nikolai left Bulgaria and embarked on his next stop in Greece.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs official who came from St. Petersburg to take over - Pavel Shuvalov - was a bit baffled. St. Petersburg asked for the best possible benefits for the Empire, and the Crown Prince's orders were just the reverse!

Pavel Shuvalov is now in a difficult position. He was initially the ambassador to Germany but had bad luck. It coincided with the tearing up of the German-Russian Reinsurance Treaty by Wilhelm II, then was removed from his post and is now relegated to Bulgaria.

He can not ignore the orders of St. Petersburg. The Crown Prince can not be offended by his current position or chance to stumble upon it. It happens to be to pull Bulgaria together and need a person of sufficient status to serve as ambassador.

At this time, a surprise guest to solve the problem for him, Nikolai's close adviser, Smit Viki, came. He had previously received a favor sent by Ferdinand and stayed behind faking illness.

...

Pavel Shuvalov asked in disbelief, "Mr. Smit, did His Imperial Highness really say that?"

"Of course! You can send a telegram and ask. Is this something I dare to lie about it? Mr. Pavel Shuvalov, the initial talks were between His Imperial Highness himself and the Knyaz of Bulgaria. Some of these pacts were secret. It included in the kind of compromises that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was not aware of at all!" Smit Viki said with great certainty.

Pavel Shuvalov was shocked. He was in a cold sweat. How did this unlucky thing happen to him again? 'Secrecy' is not even clear to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. How can he ask?

As for the truth of the matter, he did not doubt it! Nikolai's telegram to him clearly asked for the release of goodwill. It was clear, but he didn't expect such a big compromise!

After thinking about it, Pavel Shuvalov finally decided to do as he told him. Having just been pitted by the Germans, he was now afraid. Anyway, at best damage to national interests, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs side can deliver using Nikolai's telegram.

"Well, I understand what to do, Mr. Smit. Thank you for your advice. Otherwise, it would be a problem to disrupt the layout of His Imperial Highness!"

2