3 – Exort
144 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

People often wonder what the 4 elements mean. Most believe there has to be more to the concept than just fantasy.

I never thought much of it. Believing them to be conclusions made from backward beliefs and fantasies of ages long gone, born because people were unable to explain the phenomena in the world through logic and science.

But when the fire was born of me, I realized I had been wrong. At least about this element. Fire was much more than just an element, it was alive; I could barely sense it. It wished to eat, it was hungry, and everything nearby was consumed by it.

Science is born of the logical explanation of what we see and understand, and we do not see or understand most of existence. So how could our science explain everything?

How was I reborn? How was I in a fictional world? How was I on fire yet not burning? No explanation came to mind. Science failed me and so I stopped caring about logic anymore...

I stood up, all cold gone from my being. I felt light as a feather, my previous hazy mind sharp as a razor. The fire that had saved my life slowly faded away, losing strength... Everything around me was scorched, except me and my clothes.

I had no time to think about it at the moment for a fierce battle was raging around me. I had to do something, I had to survive. There was no time for hesitation.

I observed my surroundings, shocked by my senses.

I could see far away, better than I had ever seen before, every detail, every movement, nothing escaped my eyes.

I listened and every sound, even the breathing of orcs and elves, reached me. I could pinpoint the location at a moment's notice. I was aware of where everything was and what was happening around me even if I closed my eyes.

I could smell the blood of fallen beings, even the foul breath of orcs far away.

I felt the movement of the air, born of swinging blades. At that moment, I felt something approaching fast towards my head, I moved my head slightly and an arrow zipped past beside my ear.

The world seemed to slow down a little as I focused, that's how great my reflexes were. I was stunned. 'This body...'

But that was not all, for there was an extra feeling I had never experienced before. It was almost like seeing with eyes closed, feeling without touching, it was strange... Indescribable.

There was warmth within me, a sinister and ominous feeling scattered around me, unexplainable things. Almost as if I felt emotions from the type of energy around me.

There was a cold and evil presence when I focused on a faraway orc. When I focused on a nearby elf, there was sereneness and calm.

I took a deep breath and ignored this feeling for the moment, instead, I ran towards the corpse of the elf that had been beheaded before.

I took the sword that lay on the ground without hesitation for orcs were approaching.

For a moment, I stood wavering, staring at the coming enemies.

'How can I possibly face them? I have never held a sword before this...' I had no confidence. Fear took root in my heart. If I had seen such a creature so close in my past life, I would have had a heart attack right away. It was already a miracle that I stood there, sword in hand.

I was nervous, but there was no turning back.

The orcs seemed to sense everything as they laughed and charged at me. An army was behind them.

I didn't know who to attack for they came from all directions, I didn't know which sword to parry and which to dodge for there were too many. I felt overwhelmed.

I stood there, just watching.

And the moment they reached too close to me, someone jumped from above and cleaved through them like a knife through butter.

It was Fingolfin. He charged ahead fearlessly, no hesitation in his eyes. Skill unparalleled. He hunted them down as he danced between them, a dance of death.

This was the second time he had saved my life.

I felt ashamed of myself, of my fear.

'I have to overcome all weakness...' I thought as my hatred of weakness reared its head again.

So I charged forth, not caring for anything, I had to conquer this fear.

From my left came a tall orc, greater than any I had seen before, wielding a black greatsword, he swung at my head.

Yet I saw it coming, and easily evaded it, and sliced with my sword at the orc's leg. The orc dodged and I retreated.

The reason for my ability to evade was my enhanced senses, as a human, I could not have even imagined this before. But now, it seemed far too easy.

At that moment, I felt all my fear vanish, 'I can do this.' I thought as confidence appeared in my heart.

If I could survive the attack of such a great orc, then I had no reason to fear. If I could see it, I could survive it.

So I charged recklessly, the orc didn't expect that but he thrust his greatsword towards me. I jumped to the side seeing it coming and slashed at its arm since its head was out of my reach.

The orc smirked as he moved his arm out of the way and kicked his leg, snow splashing towards my face, I moved my head in time for it to miss my eyes, only to be met by the coming edge of the greatsword.

I had enough time to move away, a part of my hair was cut and fell to the ground, I noticed it was a bright golden color.

I quickly fell back, 'They make it sound so easy in the stories, and show it in the movies like it's nothing. It is so hard!' I thought with frustration.

Whatever I did, the orc seemed to already know and expect it.

I had never faced such a problem before.

'I am not skilled enough to fight with a sword against these orcs, I have to do something unexpected and then strike...' I thought and dodged, again and again.

As I evaded a swing towards my head, my eyes caught sight of some residual fire where I had laid before and an idea came to mind.

'If I can use that fire to burn the orc or distract it, it will be great. But I don't know if I can control this power...'

I had no other choice so I decided to bet on it.

I suddenly advanced when I saw an opening, taking the orc by surprise, I slashed, and he naturally blocked it. That was what I wanted.

Remembering the word that had reached me when the fire first came, I turned my free hand into a claw, willing a fireball to form in it as I muttered, "Exort."

And true enough, it answered me. A fireball formed in the blink of an eye. I felt the heat in my palm, excitement in my heart, and a confident smile on my lips.

The orc's face changed into one conveying fear, I threw the ball of fire at its face.

He retreated and cried out in fear as his eyes and lips began melting, he dropped his greatsword and grabbed at his face, trying to put out the fire.

I didn't give it a chance to recover for this was my chance.

I jumped high as I could, which was higher than I had ever jumped, and I thrust my sword at its throat. I felt no resistance on the blade as it cut deeply, coming out from the other side of the orc's neck.

I used all my strength and moved the sword to the side. The blade cut through everything, It felt strangely satisfying to me.

The head of the orc flew, black blood splattering in a shower and drenching my clothes.

I stood there, basking in the euphoric feeling of victory.

'I slayed this orc! I did it!' I thought with joy.

I had overcome the 1st step to conquer fear and weakness.

Yet the battle was far from over.

8