8 – Journey to Hithlum (1)
121 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I took a deep breath to calm myself and started sharing my thoughts.

"The enemy has no leader, so I don't think they are retreating in an organized manner through the mountains. The most probable situation is that they are scattered about in small groups, and chasing after them is not the best way, there might be traps waiting for us. Even if we chase them now, recovering all our kin will be hard since they probably move in small groups with some of our kin hostage in each one. This might even be a great trap as the last strategy left behind by the leader. If as I predicted, they move randomly scattered about, a small group of great fighters should make haste to Ard-Galen and hunt them down, group by group."

Fingon said thoughtfully, "That is possible but I recall they fled together in one big army, what then?"

The others also nodded in agreement.

I walked to the middle of the tent, feeling more confident as thoughts just rushed to my head, "If they move in one big group, they will be slow so we can intercept them easily in Ard-Galen before they reach Dor Daedeloth. The green plains of Ard-Galen do not provide them with any protection, we can see them even if they are far away. So we should go to Hithlum and a capable army should chase them from there, I think."

Turgon stepped ahead, "I agree with Elion. This entire war might just be the scheme of Morgoth to get us there and ambush us from all directions. The Noldor cannot fall here. We should under no circumstance enter the mountains."

Argon angrily said, "You want to forsake our people to the mercy of the orcs on the off chance that there might be a trap?!"

Whispers rose as the two brothers began quarreling.

Fingolfin raised his hand, "Enough. I have decided."

Everyone looked at the leader of elves, he stood up and confidently ordered, "We shall do both."

He looked at Fingon, "Choose 15 of our best warriors and make haste to Ard-Galen. Scout for any orcs, do not engage if they outnumber you but strike if they are few in number. If you see a unified army, send people to Hithlum, they shall find us there to report. We can then decide."

He turned to Argon, "Take 5 good archers and scouts with you and chase the orcs in the mountains, do not fight them, keep your distance and track their movements, if you see an opportunity, strike. Send a report about their movements to us."

He then looked at everyone else, "We will not forsake our kind, but we can't be reckless for we have just entered these lands. Many enemies lurk in the shadows, we must be cautious. Let us go to Hithlum, and from there, we shall march to the north and end the evil of Morgoth once and for all. That is all."

Every elf bowed and left, I was the same until I heard Fingolfin say, "Elion and Finrod, stay behind."

I turned around and looked puzzled, he waited till the tent was empty with only us remaining, he then approached me. "Your sister was gravely wounded in battle, she won't survive till we reach Hithlum and we have no medicine... She has 5 days at most, it takes 7 days for us to reach Hithlum."

I felt a small pain in my chest, he continued, "To save her you must hurry ahead and find the elves that arrived here before us, the host of Feanor. We need their help to help the wounded quickly, and for many other matters as well. They should reside in Hithlum since it is the only land that is close to Losgar where they landed and is protected by mountains from the north."

He looked at Finrod, "The two of you must make way to the east as fast as possible, go without rest and return with medicine and help. You must not fail."

Fingolfin quickly left, I heard Finrod say beside me, "Let us go, there is no time."

I nodded while feeling conflicted, on one hand, I wasn't really her brother, but on the other, she was the one who helped me in the cold before. I had to repay the favor at least. I had to save her.

Finrod dragged me and without wasting, he restocked on basic supplies and we ran. There was no horse so we could only go on foot.

We left behind the main group and made our way east, my body was strong since I was an elf so I didn't get tired easily.

We had to get there quickly, that was why we chose the shortest yet harshest path. Leaving behind the cold land of Lammoth, we found ourselves in front of the mountains of Ered Lomin.

As we entered the mountains, I noticed a dark and evil presence around, something lurked in these mountains. And I knew our journey was not going to be easy...

6