13 – March of the Elves (1)
108 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As far as the eye could see were elves, proud and tall, led by Fingolfin as they marched ahead. The new world before them, the newly born sun rising from behind, its light more intense than ever, burning and banishing all darkness from the lands. And flowers and life sprang with them as they entered the land of Hithlum and marched to the southern shore of Lake Mithrim.

And thus began the 1st age of Arda. By the rise of the moon, and the coming of the sun, and those of the Noldor into the lands across the sea.

...

The newly born sun in the sky was especially bright today as if our coming had changed the world in a way, the wind blew with cheer and the lake seemed welcoming and happy. I would not have noticed such things as a human, but being an elf came with interesting benefits.

Nildendil chatted with our elder brothers happily. Telemnion was the eldest, and Varandion was the 2nd brother. Both were similar to me in appearance but one was more warrior-like and the other scholarly.

I smiled as Nilendil was accompanied by them, I felt no great emotion for they were strangers in my eyes but yet it filled me with warmth seeing their care. They had greeted me warmly and wished to talk to me but Finrod had dragged me away before they could.

"So what is it?" I asked, at last, seeing him stop.

He smirked and gestured in a direction, "Your friend came here to greet you."

I turned my attention there and saw Fingolfin and Turgon, speaking with Maglor and his three brothers.

Maglor was a very interesting person, he was calm but very emotional underneath. He appeared soft-hearted and gentle but was actually very strong of heart. He spoke little, but when he did all ears would listen for his voice was magical, and his words even more so.

His three brothers on the other hand, well, let's just say they weren't the friendliest of people, nor were they the most generous type, actually, they were just hostile on various levels underneath the fake smiles.

They took notice of me quickly, Maglor put on a thin smile as he approached and briefly hugged me, as it was custom among friends in elven culture.

"We meet again, friend. Care for another battle of poems?" He said with concealed excitement. The main reason he had befriended me was due to my poem, and Maglor was the type of person who enjoyed activities such as exchanging poems, songs, and thoughts a lot. That was what I had learned the last time we met.

Fingolfin and Turgon exchanged confused looks, they had yet to learn of the manner with which we had acquired help. Many things occupied their thoughts and kept them busy, as the leader and his son they had a lot to deal with so how could they have time to listen to gossip?

Finrod was quick to say, "I wish to join in this time, I had especially prepared myself."

Maglor turned to him and smiled, "The more, the better."

Turgon asked as he eyed us, "What is this about a battle?"

Curufin, one of the sons of Feanor, noticed they were ignorant of the happenings, a gleam flashed in his eyes as he answered with a sneer, "Of course, it was a battle. What other way was there for us to reclaim our honor when he insulted us?"

Turgon frowned, Fingolfin who had remained silent saw the gleam in Curufin's eye. It resembled the gleam he had seen in Feanor's eyes many times, one which he disliked. Inwardly he was sad about his half-brother's passing, and also regretted not being able to get answers from him. He had wished to confront him for his betrayal but Feanor had died before he could.

He also did not feel great love for the house of Feanor as they had betrayed them also, even if under their father's orders. They had sent help when he had asked for it and for that he had been willing to change his opinion but it seemed the circumstances of the help they got were complicated and not so benevolent as he had thought.

"Whatever it is, it can wait."

He said resolutely to Feanor's sons, "I thank you for welcoming us." There was a hidden meaning in his words, they were not welcome here anymore. Fingolfin did not wish to see conflict just as they had arrived, and he had to know what to learn of what had happened But more important things had to be done first.

He spoke to everyone else, "Gather all the elves."

Tension seemed to rise between him and the sons of Feanor; They and those who had followed them quickly left seeing they were not welcome. Curufin had especially a cold face. Maglor sighed with a last nod towards me and Finrod as he left alongside them.

We left as well. Finrod began talking quietly, "There seems to be tension on the matter of betrayal and succession. With the high-king of Noldor Finwe dead at the hands of Morgoth and his 1st son Feanor following suit soon after, and Maedhros captured, it is indeed unclear."

I nodded, "The elves here do not like the house of Feanor for they betrayed us all by burning the ships, they won't acknowledge someone of that house becoming the high-king and their ruler."

Finrod gravely nodded, "As much as it pains me to say, I agree with that statement. Even if it is Maglor whom we are friends with. This matter is very complicated and could even lead to war..."

We turned silent the rest of the way, each in their own thoughts. The future did not seem bright but I was not that worried, Fingon was nowhere to be seen and that was a good sign for me.

'I just hope my presence hasn't changed the matter of him saving Maedhros... Otherwise, we are in deep trouble.'

All the elves came to a great clearing. I was accompanied by Finrod to my left and stood close to the high stage prepared for the speech.

Somehow, I had become an important member of the host of elves here. But It wasn't surprising to me, with the power I had, I expected it.

Finrod nudged me on my arm, I turned to look at him quizzically.

He gestured to his other side, "My sister has come..." I turned my sight there and my eyes widened. I had never seen such beauty before.

The elf was tall and fair, fairer than any elf I had seen; Her golden hair had a light of its own, especially glowing brightly under the sunlight, it cascaded down her back in ringlets, two strands falling towards the front; She seemed like a star among other elves. From her radiated a powerful force of good and wisdom, and from how she carried herself, I felt she had great pride.

I felt quite shocked. 'So she is Galadriel, Finrod's sister. But she looks so different than what I had seen on Earth... How could any woman ever compare? How will Luthien look like then? That is something I look forward to seeing...'

She nodded her head in greeting, I did the same but didn't stop looking. Finrod's elbow to my side made me turn to him with a frown as I whispered, "What was that for?"

He looked ahead, "Look."

I turned and saw Fingolfin in armor walking up followed by Turgon and another elf I had only seen from afar behind him. She carried a bow and had dark hair, she had a wild beauty and yet seemed gentle in nature. I recognized her, she was Aredhel, Fingolfin's only daughter.

'So Argon has not come back yet...' I thought. It made sense, he had gone far to the mountains so it would take time for him to return. He would have been present here if he had.

My thoughts were interrupted as the speech began.

"Through the bitter cold we journeyed, and many of us were lost. Yet finally we have reached our destination. Many hardships we endured, but not in vain. A great age of prosperity and lands of our own await us. But it is not the time for resting yet."

His voice wasn't loud yet it magically reached all who were present, "With the rise of the light, all the evil of Morgoth has retreated to the North. Now is our chance to advance, for the plains of Ard-Galen are empty and his fortress of darkness is laid bare. We have suffered greatly at the hands of the great enemy. We must avenge our fallen!"

Loud cries of elves echoed in the clearing, "Rest today, for we march Tomorrow!"

8