Chapter 13 – Rules Avoidance Specialist
301 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lydia curled up on her side, enveloped in a bright white light. I didn’t know what to do. Given her injuries, I was worried touching her might somehow make it worse. Eventually, the sheen faded and Lydia turned flat on her back, panting from exhaustion.

“So, did you pop?"

“I came close. Although my leg certainly feels like it did.” She tried to rise into a sitting position but failed. “Just give me a minute, and I’m sure I’ll be fine. ”

“Alright… what level are you now?”

“32. If there was ever a time to be unable to jump up and down… I wonder if I’m the first person to jump 12 levels in a single fight.”

“You are not.”

“Who… oh right. You.” The last word was practically dripping with frustration. “By the way. What the hell was that?”

“What?”

“What do you mean ‘What?’ You started shooting lightning and then were consumed by darkness.”

“Oh… that... I… evolved.” I paused waiting for another outburst.

“Oooooh. Cool. I’ve never seen one before. Had you been putting it off?”

“You seem very calm about this.”

“Should I not be?”

“I just told you that I evolved.”

“Yeah, so what?”

“This is a normal thing then?”

“Way more normal than everything else about you. People are eligible for an evolution every 60 levels. Not something you did back home?”

“Definitely not”

“Which evolution did you pick?”

“You get to pick?”

“Of course. The options are all on your interface…”

‘She knows about the interface… Okay, I guess this isn’t my deep dark secret. Wait, my interface is a fucking video game menu. How would that make any sense in a world without video games…”

“I was forced into my selection when I tore my mana core.”

“And there is the insane thing. I knew I just had to wait for it.”

“So, that was a bad thing?”

“It’s a 'you explode into a ball of fire while your cells combust from magical oversaturation thing.' Everything I’ve ever been taught says you should be dead. Goddess, you're such a cheater.”

“Cheating is a harsh word. I prefer rules avoidance specialist. Anyway, you mentioned the interface. I kind of assumed I was the only one who had it. Does everyone have one?”

“Yes, but it's always different. Different layouts, different features, different quirks. They are reflections of an individual's psyche.”

“What does yours look like?”

Lydia grimaced. “You need to learn to not ask questions like that.”

I raised my eyebrow quizzically.

“Stats, abilities, interfaces, and things of that nature are all deeply personal. Asking about them is like trying to read someone's diary, which is to say, incredibly rude. Why do you think I have been trying my best to not ask you about the completely insane things you do on a regular basis? Admittedly, I’ve slipped a few times because you're a damn cheater.”

“Rules avoidance specialist.”

“Whatever. Just know that you can’t walk around asking people questions like that. Anyway, what evolution did you get?”

“I guess I’d expect an unwashed street urchin like you to be so rude as to ask that.”

“Very funny, but I need to know in order to make sure that you don’t get me killed or chased out of town."

"You're not worried about me getting killed?"

"No. You'll just escape by doing something impossible and act so smug that I'll want to kill you."

"That does sound like me... Fine, I became a Mana Entity.”

“I’ve never heard of that one.”

I grimaced, waiting for the usual response. “Another problem?”

“No idea. It's certainly not a common one, but people who are strong enough to undergo evolutions often don’t talk about them. I needed to make sure it wasn’t a prohibited one like a vampire or a lich.”

“Those are real?”

“Very.”

I paused a moment to think over the implications of that before asking, “are you going to be able to heal yourself?”

“The ribs, yes. My leg, I’m not sure. My healing spell is more for cuts and bruises than breaks and tears. I can cause some significant damage by over extending, so I’m afraid to do it until I know exactly what’s wrong.”

“Let me take a look.”

“Do you know anything about medicine?”

“Not yet.”

“Fucking cheater.”

“Rules. Avoidance. Specialist.”

“Whatever, get to it, ‘My Lord.’”

Despite her tone, I poke, prodded, and made guesses about Lydia’s medical condition until I got the notification that I wanted.

Congratulations, You have unlocked the Skill: Field Medic
Field Medic: Skill governing the ability to diagnose and treat injuries in a non operative setting. Current Rank (1/10).
Skill detected, “Autodidact,” would you like to transfer 100 experience points to level Field medic? Y/N.

‘And max out.’

Quickly, I assessed the problem. Lydia only screamed a few times in the process.

“You have a compound fracture in your leg and bruised ribs. I’m going to need to splint it until you get to a doctor. Let me go get some materials.”

“I’ll be waiting here.”

I went around collecting broken spear shafts for the makeshift splint. Using those and scraps from her cloak, I was able to bandage her well enough to move her. However, before we left, she wanted to rest for a bit, so I went to check out the portal room.

Pushing open the huge stone doors, I saw a marble pedestal with raised markings surrounding a ruby gem. Beyond that was a giant archway in the middle of the room. I walked to the archway, examined it, and stepped through it. Nothing seemed abnormal.

Next thing I knew, I heard… it: a whispering from the pedestal calling to me. I crept towards it. I was close enough to see that the raised markings were, in fact, buttons. A combination appeared in my head, 10 symbols long. It wanted to be entered, needed to be entered. I stretched out my hand towards the board. ‘Stop. What the hell am I doing?’

Your Magical Resistance has provided you with the chance to overcome mind control. Attempt Failed.
Congratulations, You have unlocked the Skill: Mind Control Resistance.
Mind Control Resistance: Skill governing the ability to resist mind control effects of both a physical and magical nature. Current Rank (1/10).
Skill detected, “Autodidact,” would you like to transfer 100 experience points to level Mind Control Resistance? Y/N.

‘MAX MAX MAX’

You have become immune to all forms of mind control.

‘What the hell! Mind control, Seriously?’ I materialized my spear and frantically searched the room, looking for any traces of a person or device. I found none.

‘Everything is a headache, right? Well, I shouldn’t put it off any longer. Let's find out what happened to me now.’

I called up my status screen.

Name: Noah Jackson
Species: Mana Entity - Cosmic
Subtype: Eldritch
Physique: Peak Mana Entity
Magic Affinity: Cosmic
Subtype: Eldritch
Level: 283
Experience to next level (3,300,353,664/17,000,000,000)
Strength: 2830 (Locked at 500)
Agility: 2830 (Locked at 500)
Intelligence: 2830 (Locked at 500)
Magic power: 2830 (Locked at 500)
Physical resistance: 1000 (Locked at 500)
Magical Resistance: 1000 (Locked at 500)

Skills:
Eldritch Infusion: 2/100
Spear Mastery: 10/10
Poison resistance: 100/100
Delian Common Language: 6/10
Abyssal Common Language: 2/10
Total Body Control: 10/10
Acrobatics: 10/10
Battle Tactics: 10/10
Brawler: 1/10
Throwing: 10/10
First Aid: 10/10
Mind Control Resistance (10/10)

Abilities:
Spear Wall 5/10

Traits:
Autodidact (Inherent)
Great Teacher (Inherent)

Primary evolution: Mana Entity: Cosmic
Subtype: Eldritch

Abilities:
Cosmic Energy Infusion
Cell Realignment
Eldritch Cloak

Gulping, I went to the evolution screen.

Mana Entity: Cosmic - Mana has merged with your cells at a molecular level. You are on the path to transcending the mortal coil and becoming a being of Pure Mana.

Racial Features Enhancements

Cosmic Energy Infusion: Your cells are now infused with mana. This acts to both strengthen your body and power your racial abilities. This is separate from normal magical energy.

Cosmic Mana Entity - Cell Realignment: The cosmic mana within you allows you to rearrange your surface level appearance. The system can retain a limited number of patterns. (1/2 patterns stored). Energy Usage: Low.

Cosmic Mana Entity - Teleportation: Your body’s infusion with the cosmic allows you to move through its underlying structure. You may teleport to any location that you can see within a 2 mile radius. Energy Usage: Extreme.

Eldritch Geometry: Attempts to record, observe or measure your underlying status will fail as a result of your soul's unnatural geometry. Repeated attempts may affect the mental state of the observer.

Eldritch Mana Entity - Eldritch Cloak: An upgrade of Eldritch Geometry. The geometry of your being assumes a shape rejected by mortal perception. Energy Usage: Moderate.

“Rejected by mortal perception… what the fuck does that mean?”

I heard Lydia call from the other room. “Okay, I’m ready to move. Let’s get back to civilization.”

8