Chapter 15 – Don’t Punch Him
268 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our first stop was to sell our monster cores. Much as I wanted nothing more than to walk around and take in the sights, Lydia’s leg was broken, and we had no money for treatment. Lydia suggested going to the Mages’ Guild. According to her, they would buy cores in bulk and, so long as we didn’t sell the Adamantium Elemental’s core, nobody would notice or care about the quantity.

Fortunately, the land near the portals was highly desirable, so all the major factions would acquire space there as a status symbol. As such, the Mages’ Guild branch office was only a block from where we exited the station. We did not go far before approaching a square, modestly sized one floor building. The outside architecture was polished marble with onyx and jet adornments. Each corner had a small spire capped with gold. Large glowing green spheres rested in the mouths of stone gargoyles, flanking either side of the simple set of oaken double doors. Words were carved into the door that I could not make out.

“Lydia, any idea what that says?” I asked, pointing to the carving.

“Knowledge is its own reward. It’s the motto of the Mages’ Guild. They have a flair for the dramatic.” She shrugged.

Congratulations, You have unlocked the Skill: Lapris Language.

Lapris Language: Skill governing the ability to read, write and speak Lapris Common Language. Current Rank (1/10).

Skill detected, “Autodidact,” would you like to transfer 100 experience points to level Lapris Common Language? Y/N.

‘And max it.’

My attention returned to the building, and I couldn’t help but be disappointed. “It’s nice, but I think I was expecting something, I don’t know, a bit more grand.”

“Just wait until you go inside,” Lydia said, smiling.

I pushed open the doors and was stunned. The room’s depth and width were easily quadruple the size of the exterior of the building, and there were even doors on the far wall. In the entrance room, robed men and women of all races moved about energetically, as though conducting urgent business. The room itself felt alive. I walked in, mouth agape, slowly spinning around to take it all in.

“The amount of cores required to keep this enchantment operating is astronomical, but it does leave an impression,” Lydia said, musing to no one in particular.

“Have you been here before?”

“Not this branch, but it's the same in most cities. The mages do love their spectacle.”

We walked into the room, Lydia’s arm slung over my shoulder for support. In front of us was a reception counter, with a large crowd lined up before it. From behind the counter, a gnome clerk was arguing with a well dressed young blond man with a slim build. A comically large, bulky human wearing a suit stood at the young man’s side, looking embarrassed.

“...And I’m telling you that I don’t care. Your father could be King Joshua reincarnated and you would still need an appointment to see the branch manager,” said the gnome, on her very last nerve.

“This is completely unacceptable, you insolent little Garden Spak!”

Lydia drew in a short gasp at the last word. The gnome's face turned bright red as she began to sputter incoherently.

A voice cut across the crowd. “Apologize,” said a muscular black haired, brown eyed man with a bone white sword fastened across his back. While the words were not shouted, the authority of his tone was apparent to all around.

The blond man at the counter turned, face contorted with rage at the interruption, searching for the one who intruded.

“Who dares?”

The crowd between them parted, withering under the young man’s glare.

“I do, Allister.” The muscular man declared confidently as he strode forward. At his side, an auburn haired woman wielding a giant staff tipped with a mana core walked with him.

Recognition and contempt registered in the Allister's eyes. “Klein. Of course. I should have recognized the stench of self righteousness and melancholy.”

“Apologize to her.”

“I think not,” He sneered. “Rank has its privileges, and I don’t answer to you.”

“Cowering behind your father’s title, truly noble.” Klein cracked his knuckles.

Alister’s eyes flashed with rage. “Why you-”

The gnome chimed in, “Sir hero, thank you, but I don’t-”

“QUIET FILTH!” Alister cocked his arm to backhand the clerk, but Klein was faster. He kicked Alister in the chest, sending him flying across the room… directly at Lydia and I. My adrenaline rushed and time slowed.

‘Fuck fuck fuck, what do I do, what do I do. Getting involved with the manbaby and the “hero,” whatever the fuck that means, will definately bite me in the ass, but Lydia’s leg is already broken. The speed I need to grab her to dodge would definitely injure her leg more. Ugh, fine!’

I leapt in front of Lydia to stop the impact. Even trying to keep my speed to a minimum, the collision dropped Allister to the ground like a rock. His face slammed into the tile, bouncing slightly against it. After a moment, he pulled himself to his feet, blood trickling out his nose. He stared at me like a cobra ready to strike.

“Who the bloody hell are you!”

There was a soft whisper in the back of my head, urging me to knock him off his perch, urging violence. The rational part of my brain forced it down. You’re trying to not draw attention to yourself. Don’t punch him. Play nice. Don’t punch him. Let's just see if I can talk my way out of this. Don’t punch him. I should appeal to his vanity. Don’t punch him.’

Allister looked at Klein, who had not moved.

“I wouldn’t,” Klein said.

The warning unsteadied the blond. Trying to diffuse the situation, I bowed my head and added, “I’m terribly sorry. My friend is injured, and I feared that a collision with someone as powerful as you may have put her life in danger.”

‘Shit, did I lay that on too thick?’ I wondered.

The young man straightened himself, looking from side to side and glancing back at Klein. “Well, at least someone is demonstrating the proper deference to my station. I suppose I can forgive this slight.”

‘Right, there is no such thing as too thick for the unjustifiably entitled.’ The voice in my head urging violence quieted as the situation resolved itself.

Unfortunately, Allister looked at Lydia and continued, “As for you, knife ears, be happy your friend here is so well mannered.”

“The fuck did you call me?”

I punched him. Our eyes connected for a moment, as the force lifted him off the ground. His look of shock was deeply gratifying, and only ceased when the back of his head cracked against the floor.

I held my breath as his body did not move for an uncomfortable second. ‘Please don’t be dead…’ He twitched slightly, and I let out a deep exhale.

I turned and readied myself to fight his friend, but he had been intercepted by Klein. While their weapons stayed undrawn, they traded fierce punches, kicks, and knees. Klein’s had the better of it, so I turned back to the jackass splayed out of the floor in front of me.

I heard whispers in my ear. “Bullies need to learn. Teach him a lesson. Show him pain.” It was similar to what I heard in the cave, yet I felt no compulsion to act.

The sound of an explosion tore through the room.

“WHAT IS GOING ON!” a new voice shouted. I turned back and saw a dwarf, old and grizzled, with a gigantic gray beard. Orange tendrils extended from his hand to all in the area.

Your Mind Control Resistance has provided you with the chance to overcome mind control. Congratulations, you have resisted mind control.

Everyone in front of the counter came to a dead stop, save myself and Klein. Quickly, I froze, trying to blend in.

“Thank you, Hajim. That got out of hand.” Klein said to the dwarf.

The dwarf scrunched his nose with displeasure. “My original question stands.”

Klein explained what had occured, albeit in a remarkably concise manner. The dwarf turned to his clerk who confirmed Klein's version of events. Hajim then forced everyone to separate before releasing his spell.

“Allister Hawthorne, you are officially banned from this branch of the guild and are hereby ineligible to receive any services provided herein.”

“This absolutely will not stand. My father will not allow it!”

“Oh really,” the dwarf said with some amusement. “And who, pray tell, is your father?”

“Beckett Hawthorne, The Duke of Fargess in the Zeitgeist Imperium.” He finished his sentence in a self important manner and paused to allow it to sink in.

“Well, in that case, I’ll be sure to forward a report of your scandalous behavior to the guild branch in Zeitgeist. Perhaps they’ll care, but I certainly don't. You and your co-conspirator are now kindly invited to leave.”

Allister stood still, enraged but unwilling to do anything.

“Boy, I suggest you go. If you think being asked to leave is beneath your imperial dignity, just imagine if you were seen flying out of this building.”

Allister swallowed hard and gestured for his friend to leave. Staring at Klein, he said, “this isn’t over.” Then as he turned, he looked at me, almost as an afterthought. “Same for you.”

‘I’ve been in the city for about 30 minutes… seems right.’

8