Chapter 2.1 – Before the Storm
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The booking process was mercifully swift, and Caleb and Mason were quickly brought to an old, filthy holding cell. It seemed to be designed for very temporary habitation, as the only sort of amenity provided was the long, rusty metal bench bolted to the back wall. It wouldn’t hold them both, so the two of them took turns on it throughout the night, sleeping in shifts.

Morning came abruptly, thanks to a rude awakening from the officer that Mason had noticed that Caleb seemed to know. He banged on the door of the cell loudly, startling them awake.

“Good morning, sunshine! Time to get up!” The officer announced, yelling at them gleefully.

Mason had bolted upright the moment the banging had started, but Caleb, who had fallen asleep in an awkward position, sitting on the floor with his back leaning against the bench, took a bit longer. His neck was so stiff, and he knew he would have a bruise on his back from where the edge of the metal bench had pressed into it.

The door creaked open and the officer came in, brandishing handcuffs. He cuffed Caleb first, then Mason, and before the two really understood what was happening, they had been transferred to what appeared to be some sort of interview or interrogation room.

“What’s going on?” Mason asked, still trying to blink sleep from his eyes. He wished he could rub them, but his hands were currently being chained to the big metal table they were both now seated at.

“You two have a visitor.” The officer gave them a mean smile as he left.

They were alone for only a moment before the door swung open again and a woman poked her head in.

“Knock, knock,” she said pleasantly as she came in. She had mousey brown, meticulously styled hair and wore what looked like expensive designer clothing. Her heels clacked against the tile, echoing in the big room. Her smile was soft and serene as she sat down, and she placed an unlabeled manila folder on the table in front of her as soon as she was settled.

Mason looked at Caleb questioningly. Caleb just shrugged. He had no clue what was going on either.

“Hello, boys! I hope you’re both well this morning,” the woman said, unrelentingly chipper.

Mason glanced down at where the two of them were cuffed to the table. “Yeah, we’re great.”

The woman either didn’t notice, or fully ignored his sarcasm, opting instead to continue with her introduction. “Wonderful! I have a special opportunity for you.”

Mason froze, the lines of his shoulders becoming tense as he came to an unpleasant realization. There was only one kind of ‘special opportunity’ ever offered to people in their situation. Next to him, a clueless Caleb gave him a confused look.

With no answers forthcoming from his friend, Caleb instead looked back at the woman. “And what kind of opportunity would that be?”

“My name is Tiffany. I’m a casting director and manager with Center Entertainment, the production company behind the Tournament, I’m sure you’re familiar.”

Now it was Caleb’s turn to freeze, staring at her with wide eyes.

Tiffany opened the folder, pulled out two small pieces of paper and placed them on the table. They were Caleb and Mason’s mugshots.

“You two have caught my eye, you both have the kind of visuals we’re on the lookout for this season. When I saw your pictures here, I knew I had to offer you both a slot. It’s the sixtieth season, you know. This year the Tournament will be thirty years old. We want only the best, most attractive, most charming contestants for this special event. You boys should be flattered.” She smiled again, but this time it didn’t look pleasant. It looked predatory, like a cat playing with a mouse before it eats it.

“I’m sure you both know how this works. If you accept the slots, you will be freed in order to compete in this upcoming season. If you don’t… Well, you boys face some very serious charges.”

Tiffany opened the folder on the table and flipped through it. Once she found what she was looking for, she placed the files on the table and spun them around so Caleb and Mason could read them. Neither of them bothered. “Mason Blair and Caleb Suwanrat. Both charged with armed robbery. That’s a serious felony. You’re both looking at twenty to life.” She tsked at them, like she was a mother scolding her sons for doing something naughty. “But if you enter the Tournament, you’ll be off the hook. Not to mention rich and famous. And if you win, you’ll even have a long career ahead of you, if you want it.”

Caleb looked at Mason, trying to make eye contact. But Mason was staring at Tiffany, brow furrowed, thinking. He knew that look and knew Mason well enough to be worried by it.

“You boys obviously need some time. I’ll give you until tomorrow morning to decide. Think about it, talk it over amongst yourselves and with your families.” Tiffany smiled and gathered the files up, put them back into the folder. Then she stood up and smoothed out her skirt. She looked almost comically out of place in the old interrogation room. “I’ll be back to hear your decision.”

She left, and the slam of the door closing echoed long after she was gone.

0