Chapter 1: Shame? What is that? Can you eat it?
437 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Fu*k! You actually stole my Penta!"

"Heh, ks is the kingly way."

"!@#@#."

In an internet cafe, such discussion could be heard on day to day basis. Yet, despite the lively and rowdy exchanges around him, one young man alone was silently using a computer at the corner, making the scene contradictory to his surroundings.

That young man is me, Ren Arth Arcadia, a 21st-century college student.

I'm a transmigrator who got transported after being hit by a bulldozing truck.

Yes, it's cliche, but that's the reality.

For an unknown reason, I transmigrated and started my second life with a cheat.

It's just that the cheat I got is incomprehensible for some people like me who haven't watched much anime aside from the classics; Dragon ball, Naruto, and One Piece.

Well, it's probably much quicker to give you the idea.

[Role Playing System]
Host: Ren Arth Arcadia
Role Play Points: 1
Role Play Gacha: [Gilgamesh Rate UP!]
Synchronization: [Gilgamesh: 5%]
Passives/Skills: 
[Gate of Babylon: E+] 
-Limited access to the king's treasury.
[Divinity: D]
-Imbued all noble phantasm with divinity. (Increase damage by 5%)
Tasks:
[Main Quest] The Majesty of Humanity's Oldest King!
Description:
-His majesty, Gilgamesh, was deemed the most arrogant tyrant who claimed the world as his back garden. It was rumored that he bears the eyes that could see the future and omnipotence that exceeded even the Gods. He is the Wedge of Heaven! The king who wields the sword of rupture, EA! As his inheritor, act befitting to his king's majesty and show the world that only you are worthy of holding the title of a King!

Mission Requirement: Act and fill the synchronization rate to 10%
Mission Reward: [Gate of Babylon: D++]
Remarks: "I will tell you of the beginning! Heaven and Earth split, nothingness congratulated creation, and my sword cleaved the world!"

See? Incredible, right?

I was pretty puzzled about this so-called oldest king. 

That was until I started researching about him.

Although my history is quite inadequate, I still have the basics, such as knowing that there was a king called Gilgamesh in the world. But that's as far as my history can take me. 

Never in my wildest dream that the Gilgamesh I was supposed to role-play was a character from a pit called Fate Series.

I watched videos about him, mainly from FGO, Fate/Zero, and Fate/EXTRA CCC. Thanks to that, I have a clear understanding of his character.

These words are my impression about him, Arrogant, Whimsical, Wise, Tyrant, and the Richest king who have access to all kinds of treasure. 

Frankly speaking, after researching, I somehow felt like I won't be able to replicate even 1/10th of his arrogance.

First, I'm not disdainful enough to greet anyone with the word 'Mongrel.'

Second, I'm not courageous enough to stand above a lamppost, as if I couldn't stand the thought of standing on the same ground with the others.

Lastly, I'm definitely not arrogant enough to claim that everything in the world is my property.

'Well, in a way, it could be said that this is normal.'

Indeed, his majesty is too astonishing for some random stranger to imitate.

I went through countless trials and errors and summarised the rules to follow to increase synchronization.

First, YOU MUST ACT BEFORE AN AUDIENCE! 

Right, so I tried acting by myself and found in exasperation that aside from the increasing proficiency of acting, the synchronization isn't going up even a bit. Hence, I decided to invite my enthusiastic sister on a whim and perform my best before her.

"Rejoice, mongrel. This king has personally blessed you with his presence. This is an honor that an average mongrel could never obtain in their meager life. Raise your head and revel in this glory! Fuhahaha!"

My sister, for some reason, was looking at me with shimmering eyes, I don't know why, but I feel like she was thinking of something rude just now.

"Wow, brother! When did your 2nd-year disease relapse? Also, when did you dye your hair and eye?"

"Don't sweat the details, mongrel! Fuhahaha!"

My sister also started to laugh, which immediately attracted our mother's worried gaze.


Second Rule! NEVER BE ASHAMED!

That's right, do not feel embarrassed, because someone will do it for you. This is what I've learned after watching public stunts online. I could feel the 2nd hand embarrassment that crossed time and space. But the guy in the video remained at ease, which furthers my determination to throw away my shame.

That's right, you must never feel embarrassed even if someone asks you to imitate the invincible poses at JOJO.

Shame? What is that? Can you eat it?

And third but not least, YOU MUST ACT BELIEVING YOU'RE THE REAL DEAL, NOT SOME PIRATED COPY!

Yes, this one is truly a must to increase synchronization.

After all, your audience could discern if you're truly serious about making a fool of yourself or if you're just pretending to be.

And as an actor, it is the basic of the basics to believe that you are the character you're acting!

Hence, most of my practice was about overcoming my shame and the shackle restricting me from fully realizing Gilgamesh to reality.

'Although that's good and all, the only ones who could only witness my performance were my mother and sister. I haven't tried acting before the public yet. Even if I do, I have to plan it well.'

I sighed and dazedly scrolled the search engine.

Although I'm aware that I have to start revealing myself to the public sooner or later, it's still nerve-wracking to think about it regardless.

This is inevitable, especially for someone like me who's an introvert.

There is also one thing that is preventing me from realizing my debut to the public.

The existence of the otherworldly mysteries.

Are you familiar with those weird things that act once their so-called killing rule is triggered? If you do, then good job. If not, I'll explain it briefly.

These otherworldly mysteries are invaders that suddenly appeared in 1999, based on the wikis I found. They are creatures or rule congregates that operate at night. 

They seem harmless so far, right? That was until you activated its so-called killing rule. 

The killing rule; is the core concept of the mysteries that humanity discovered after paying a heavy price. 

The seemingly obvious rule was something that everyone could think of after witnessing countless examples. That was if your mind wasn't tampered by a specific concept rule.

The mysteries came with a rather disturbing thing that can conceal their origin. 

One of the famous examples was the so-called Forget me not Massacre. A city was destroyed overnight by a gigantic mystery. Yet even though there were witnesses and survivors, the world remained oblivious to the matter.

Strange right? Typically, this kind of thing is enough to detonate the entire internet. Based on the wiki, after the disappearance of the giant mystery, they said that it also took the memory of the tragedy.

What happened to those survivors and witnesses? Apparently, they suddenly went insane. The professionals are still arguing about this matter to this day. But they have a unanimous idea about this matter, that the giant mystery has mind control included in its killing rule.

Only the sun is mystery's greatest weakness.

Humanity tried to replicate its properties, but all the attempts remained fruitless before the horror of mysteries.

One more noteworthy thing to mention, the world I transmigrated was the parallel version of Earth. It's just that the name of the countries changed but other than that everything was still the same. 

'Haa... When can I find the opportunity to role-play...'

While I was lamenting, I felt my right shoulder being tapped. Confused, I turned my head and saw an average-looking girl; staring at me with a blank expression.

"Sir, your allotted time has expired; please make a way to the next user."

'Eh, it's already my time?'

I immediately turned my head to the monitor. I saw a prompt at the top left corner, indicating that I still had 24mins before my time expired.

'Is this girl messing with me?'

I was puzzled. Because frankly speaking, I'm pretty sure that there's a system that will forcibly close the computer once the renter uses up his time. Yet, this girl suddenly approached me and told me; that my time was up even though there was no prompt about it on the monitor.

Feeling something amiss, I turned my head again and found that the girl was nowhere to be found. Not only that, the lively and rowdy atmosphere at the cafe was suddenly replaced by an eerie silence.

'Good grief, I actually encountered this thing? But the sun is still up, isn't it?'

I stood up from my seat and turned my gaze to the window, only to find that it was already night.

'Strange, it's definitely daylight earlier. Is this perhaps because of that mystery?'

I contemplated for a moment before realizing I was no longer in the internet cafe.

I'm definitely not dense enough to ignore the changes in my surrounding while briefly contemplating. After all, everything changed after I stood up from my seat.

And the place I was currently in was a dark forest. 

In this God-forsaken place, I could hear every kind of weird stuff that could instantly bottom out an average person's sanity. 

Added to the low visibility of this ghostly place, one couldn't help but imagine terrifying things looking at you from the dark, waiting until you let your guard down. After all, even if you can somehow convince yourself that nothing is wrong, it is inevitable to think of distracting stuff, especially in this creepy environment.

Yet strangely, instead of panicking, I found myself far too calm, which contradicts my personality. Maybe because I'm role-playing as Gilgamesh?

'At least I don't have to shiver at the corner and wait for my death. Still, looking at these drastic changes looks like I triggered its killing rule after standing.'

After all, I still had 24 mins earlier left. But I suddenly stood up, which is probably the condition to drag its victim into this eerie place.

As much as I wanted to contemplate the matter, I had to stop because of my initial findings after surveying my surrounding. Because after searching, I found traces of footsteps walking deep into the center of the forest, indicating that I'm not the only victim.

Or maybe, it's one of the mystery's tricks to fool someone.

'Haa... It would be convenient if I had The Omniscient and Almighty Star. Unfortunately, it's gated by the synchronization rate.'

With that thought, I decided to follow the traces of footprints and took out a helmet from the treasury.

[Hades Helm: E+]
-A noble phantasm to hide one's existence.

To be honest, I'm not exactly clear if this thing would work against the mystery, but I still wore it regardless; to save myself from unnecessary troubles.


Compared to Ren's leisure adventure, a completely different scenario is playing in the outer part near the inner circle of the dark forest.

A girl could be seen shivering behind a tree, constantly scanning her surrounding warily.

'I-I have to escape... I-It's too early for me to die... I h-haven't achieved a thing yet...'

The unfamiliar place and eerie noises around her keep weighing her spirit, nearly suffocating her desire to live.

Soon, after hiding behind the tree for an untold amount of time, she found that her chasers were nowhere to be found. Seemingly assured, the girl heaved a sigh of relief and was about to move when a hand suddenly covered her mouth, preventing her from uttering any noises.

The girl's pupil dilated in horror as she violently tried to free herself from the grasp of her chaser. 

'NO! NO! NO! I DON'T WANT TO DIE!! I STILL HAVEN'T ACHIEVED A THING! I HAVEN't BEEN RECOGNIZED YET!!'

A sudden burst of power emerged from the frail figure of the girl. But unfortunately, before the iron grip of the mystery, it was nothing but a futile attempt, merely a waste of time.

The girl was aware of this, yet still persisted; and desperately moved her body and burst out her potential, only to fall into a deeper stratum of despair.

Soon, a sense of exhaustion and helplessness emerged within the girl, gradually weakening her resistance and will to live.

'Someone... Please... Help... Me...'

"Hmmph, a mere dreg actually dared to assault my subject. Even death is not enough to atone for your sin, mongrel."

Hum!

An unamused voice rang; as countless golden ripples in the air appeared behind the young man, exuding breathtaking light that even profound darkness could never hope to contend with.

The clouded eyes of the girl gradually clarified as she witnessed an awe-spiring scene that she would never forget in her entire life.

The golden ripples in the air were filled with protruding sharp and sacred weaponry, each exuding vast divinity as if announcing to the world their holiness.

Before that scene was a handsome young man with golden hair and striking scarlet eyes; that could see through the essence of all creation.

She saw one of the weapons constantly quivering before eventually shooting out like a projectile, hitting the mystery behind her that suddenly dissipated to dust.

Yet despite being freed from the grasp of the mystery, the girl remained on her knees as she gazed upon the God-like young man exuding undeniable majesty.

The young man's arrogance was crystal clear, the kind that would never allow himself to stand on the same ground as the other people.

Typically, this is enough to demoralize the girl from interacting with the young man. But in this place filled with nothing but darkness, the girl felt that the arrogance of the young man rivaled the prestige of the sun, lofty, sacred, and untouchable.

6