Chapter 50
134 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scathach POV

I carried my new student to an empty bed in the castle, such thoughts I did not think I would have ever again.

How long has it been since another living being had stepped foot inside this land of shadows? I no longer took note of the passing days, it became meaningless after a certain time. To actually have someone seek me out once more, to venture into this deathly place for my tutelage, it was a strange feeling.

I accepted him immediately, something I had not done often in the past. It was supposed to be a test to simply arrive here, the treacherous perils that awaited one who stepped into my realm. If they couldn't even appear before me, why must I teach them? I suppose there had been a few exceptions in the past, not all my students were like Setanta, some had moved me purely on their own willpower and valor, even if they did not record their names in the myths and legends.

But to come here, in this time from his place, I believed that to be testament enough. This realm no longer was connected to the wider world, I have merely guesses as to how he arrived, the dragon filling in some pieces.

What do they call the great magics outside, 'True Magic'? Such things are something I am incompatible with, in my time all magic was just 'magic'. The last visitors were those undead things that started sprouting in the world once the Age of Gods finally came to its end. Those disgusting creatures that subside from human blood to continue their cursed existence. Yes, the dragon helped fill in several details, telling me some things about the outside world in our chat.

A dragon… I couldn't help but chuckle at the thought. I have met dragons before, I have killed dragons, never had I shared a conversation with one, not to mention one who boasted such power. How I would have loved to test my spear against its mighty scales….maybe it would have been able to kill me.

Was I excited when my new student arrived infront of me? I wanted to test his worth, to see what I was working with so I engaged him in battle, my spear seeking his heart on the first thrust. He was…..not the worst I've taught so far.

Potential.

That was the best way to describe it. The dragon had told me some things, the boy's situation, to be related to such a grand figure, he would go very far in life. But he was wasting it, relying too much on who he 'was' as opposed to who he is now.

There was no fire in his belly, no drive to truly surpass himself, to become something 'more'.

But even so, feelings I hadn't felt in a very long time swelled up. My hands itched, my desire to groom him into a warrior.

I decided to toss him on that cursed mountain. I wished to see him push himself and work to achieve his first results, otherwise he would take everything further for granted. To have him suffer, to experience hardship to achieve his goals. He wasn't as bad as my other brat who I had to beat the arrogance out of, but I saw the seeds beginning to sprout, it was better to nip those in the bud.

I was….delighted to see him understand his own flaws by himself. My intention was to continuously send undead at him, forge him through combat, but he decided to stay at the base of the mountain and hone his own blade.

Less than a month, yet the progress he made in that short amount of time was substantial. It was to be expected, he had so much bubbling under the surface, waiting to be let loose.

I allowed him his time to hone his own skill, not interfering. It was amusing to watch him swing his sword for days on end, focusing so intently for the first time.

How his movements become sharper and cleaner with each hour that passes.

Certainly, no master yet, but he took a large step forward.

Watching him climb the mountain, for others it may have been monotonous, but I watched every moment without a hint of boredom.

Even when that wretched divine spirit tried its games again, persisting through time purely on resentment, not even a proper undead abomination, something in between and forever sealed inside the mountain.

It projects illusions to lure things into it, or to kill them so it can absorb their essence.

I could only sigh thinking back to how Setanta was tricked the very first time. The most infuriating part was that he knew they were fake, but he still wanted to lay with it regardless.

How amusing it was to see me show up, was that from my student's own desires or simply barrowing a familiar form?

Maybe I shall have to teach him more than just combat...

I frowned, shaking my head.

Maybe he could also….

No.

There was no need to think such thoughts.

Young, too young. It was the same with Setanta, he was born too late.

Why bother creating hope, I have resolved myself to watch the end of time from here.

****

Wilhelm POV

I woke up to the unfamiliar ceiling, castle walls on all sides and a soft bed underneath me. How comfortable after sleeping on that mountain for so long, and the warmth….how one doesn't realize how good they have it until its gone.

My body was sore, but my fatigue seemed gone, did she heal me? I checked myself over, no noticeable scars on my body from where I had gotten hurt.

I opened my Magic Circuits immediately, feeling the soothing pain of magical energy running through my body.

My ring was sitting on a table, I looked it over before slipping it back on, slipping my mind into it I saw all my stuff there…..except I was missing a large about of mead and wine I grabbed from Skyrim

This tragedy will not go unanswered.

I walked out of my room, looking around an heading outside.

I saw here, mediating in the same place she was from before.

"You are awake." She said simply.

"Thank you for healing me." I bowed politely, completely forgetting my faux anger.

"Am I not your teacher?" She turned around to look at me, an ephemeral smile on her face. "You have gained quite a few things."

"I don't really feel different." I furrowed my brow. I mean, I feel great after having climbed that thing after so long, to actually achieve that, but I don't feel noticeably stronger or anything.

She hummed, sitting up fully, grabbing her spear that always remained within arm's reach.

I brought out Mirage, the safe feeling of handing it in my hand again.

How I missed you my beautiful sword.

Without warning, she jumped into the air and lunged at me, erupting in magical energy and bloodlust as her deathly spear once again sought out my heart.

As her spear approached, I stepped to the side, bring my blade up to meet her instead, sword moving horizontally under her spear.

She leaned back, riding the momentum to slide under my attack, only a few strands of hair flying off from her head. She adjusted her grip on her spear, digging her feet into the ground and utilizing her lower center of gravity to swipe at my legs with a large sweep.

I quickly spun my sword, recovering from my own attack, and slammed the tip into the tundra, blocking her strike.

Scathach abandoned that avenue attack quicker than it took me to blink, her Elbow swinging towards my face, only to meet the palm of my hand.

My hand struggled to hold her back.

"Still think you gained nothing?" She raised an eyebrow.

I released my grip, and she lowered her arm. "I….didn't even realize where that came from." That was….wow, it felt so fluid and easy. I mean, it wasn't anything spectacular, Scathach was holding back substantially, but it just all felt right.

"Don't get cocky!" A fist found my face, disrupting my thoughts.

"SON OF A BITCH." I shouted, clutching my nose, blood running down my face. I swear to every god, she did something to make it particularly painful.

"You are just a larger insect now; you wouldn't even last a few moves from me if I were going all out." She said coldly. "You are merely at the step where it is worthwhile to teach you."

White light erupted from my hand, healing my broken nose. I stared at her in annoyance, she didn't seem the least bit remorseful. "Only a few moves?"

"Hmph, that was being generous." She dismissed me easily. "If you could land a true hit on me, I would even allow you into my bed."

Wait, what?

"Don't daydream, boyo." She smacked me upside the head. "You are too far away to even consider laying with me." She laughed. "I shall begin passing down my teachings, your usage of Runes was an abomination, I will not allow someone under my tutelage such disgrace."

"That is…fair. I've been mainly abusing my near infinite magical energy to do what I wanted." I thought it through.

"Your swordsmanship too, it leaves much to be desired. I have seen women trained by their maids having better sword skills than you." She shook her head with a frown.

I chose not to comment on that.

"My final student…" She turned around, looking towards the horizon. "I shall forge you into a great warrior. Your magic, your martial ability. I will help you master your weapons and pull out your potential." She turned back to me again. "Let us start with your Runes, when you move to a standard that satisfies me, I shall pass down the Primordial Runes."

I froze, hearing what she said.

Primordial Runes, they were so much stronger than the modern runes used in today's magecraft. An art passed down by Odin, a path created by a pantheon head. It was something that can be used against divine beings, something dragons and servants couldn't just shrug off.

There was a reason they were no where to be found in the modern day, they literally had to be passed down. A few years ago, the magical community went crazy when a Primordial Rune was discovered in an old pot unearthed in Norway. Yet, even the person who obtained that object, they only gained an incomplete understanding.

"I'm ready when you are."

She smiled at me. "Those are the words I wished to hear the most."

***

Catching up with the chapters I have on other websites, which is 335 at the moment so.....going to take awhile. 

If you want to read 7 chapters ahead of that or support me, visit my patreon.

 

 

2