Chapter 58
115 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up with hair tickling my nose. That familiar purple hair, resting right below my chin, burying itself deep into my body, only a few strands swaying at the movement of my breath.

Scathach was surprisingly clingy when she slept, I don't think she let me go even once during the night, and even now, she was wrapped around me. I didn't particularly mind, I suppose I prefer being the big spoon.

I reluctantly decided to dislodge myself from her embrace, quickly putting a pillow in her arms as I slipped away.

I put some spare clothes on I had in my ring, quietly as not to disrupt her sleeping form, but plans don't always pan out.

Turning around, I already saw her sitting up, her eyes a little drowsy, by otherwise full aware and awake.

"Erm….good morning?" I offered to break the awkward silence. "Are you….okay?"

She looked at me for a moment before sighing, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "I am not at one hundred percent, but I recovered a fair amount. The ritual took a lot out of me…..spiritually."

That was understandable, my mind was still on overdrive trying to analyze these things. What was the phrase often used in various literature, a frog in a well? Yeah, it felt like I saw the true sky for the first time, with regards to Runecraft.

"Come here." She commanded.

I just tilted my head, wondering what she was wanting, as I walked over. She pulled my sleeve, almost making me stumble and flicked my forehead, rather hard. "Owww." I rubbed the spot.

"The hell do you think you were doing!?" She stabbed her finger in my chest. "I'm your teacher, it's my duty to protect you while under my tutelage." She hissed, hands balling into fists. "You stupid boy! Standing up to a fucking divine spirit, a head of a damn pantheon!?" She threw her hands up in exasperation. "Setanta had been stupid, but you're damn near suicidal. No, you're worse, you're a smart idiot!"

"I don't know what romanticize shite you've read about in your era regarding gods, but they are greedy, manipulative, and vengeful. It is never a good thing to get within their sights, and you waved your cock around like it meant something. You were lucky, extremely lucky." She sneered, looking at me but looking away again with clear anger on her face.

"I'm sorry, I just – " My words cut off as she grabbed me again.

She pulled me in, lips pressed against mine, I couldn't help but widen my eyes as I felt her tongue invade my mouth. It was long and passionate, it only ended when she finally decided it was enough.

"Don't you dare take this the wrong way, I am still absolutely livid with you." She huffed, still clearly angry at my actions. "But I'm not so cold that such actions can't move me either." She crossed her arms, looking away from my eyes, and perhaps I was seeing things, but she looked the slightest bit bashful. "Get out of my room, go train or something, I don't care."

She quite literally kicked me out.

I just sighed walking away, it seems like she had a lot on her mind and didn't want me around right now.

I found a nice spot outside, and just plopped down, allowing my swords to fly out as I mentally commanded them in the air.

"Ddraig, I have no idea what I'm doing."

[Well, I don't think anyone really is in situations like these.] He was silent for a moment before continuing. [She seemed pleased that you were willing to stand up for her, even if she hid it behind her anger.]

"Haaaah." I let out a long breath, falling onto my back, letting snowflakes lightly touch down on my skin. "One step forward, two steps back. At this point, do I even ask her whats going on between us?"

I still could recall the kiss, vividly, and I doubt that was going away anytime soon.

I just shook my head, pushing those thoughts away for now and retrieved a book from my ring, deciding to read it while I let my swords dance around.

***

Scathach POV

Stupid boy.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

I ought to tan his hide, kick his face in until it's entirely unrecognizable.

I'm his teacher! When I took him in, it was my duty to watch over him, if I had to die so he lived while under my tutelage, then so be it.

How dare he!?

How dare he...willingly put himself in harms way to merely save this old life.

How dare he make me feel things like this, to have my heart beat faster in my chest. He refuses my bed, then he goes as does some nonsense like that, infuriating brat!

Maybe we could…. no...I can't, to even consider something like that. It would merely be a cruel joke.

Regardless, we can't be anything more than teacher or student. I have no continued existence beyond this realm, and to even consider having him stay here....how it would make my heart flutter, but such a thing is cruel beyond measure.

How vicious fate is, to dangle something like this, right now, infront of me again.

If only he appeared all those years ago, perhaps I would not have decided to venture here and spend eternity in the lands of death and shadow.

Such thoughts are no longer allowed to me, I am destined for the loneliness of ice and void. He would not want this old woman's affection anyways.

I retrieved sufficient clothing; a small smile rose on my face when I remember the first time he saw me naked.

What a cute face he made.

I wanted to devour him right there.

I could only shake my head and continue to dismiss those thoughts.

Regrets.

Why does this continue to happen?

A pair of red eyes still haunt my memories, I used to see them when I closed my own. History repeating itself, another one came here, and my heart was once again shaken.

How many times have I held back now?

My desires, my wanting in for both life and death. Do I wish for something? For a way to calm this beating heart with his presence, the warmth to overcome me?

Yet, I also wish for death.

Dare I ask it of him? To kill me…..would it be cruel?

Perhaps it is a desire of mine, greater than any other.

Would he hate me if I requested this of him? For some reason, the thought of him despising me makes me feel ill, yet…..

I shook my head, why bother dwelling on such things.

He needs…a proper reward. This old heart of mine is worth nothing, I will need to think of a way to aid him in his journey after he leaves this realm. I passed on my knowledge, it yet requires refinement, but I do not have much more to teach him.

I would give him one of my spears like I had in the past, but he does not wield one.

Vexing.

I suppose I have not crafted something in quite some time….and I have several spears remaining. Why could I not mold one of them into a sword for him to use?

***

I stepped outside into the cold, the air familiar yet still bites at my skin.

He notices me, immediately smiling as I approach. Please don't look at me in such way, my resolve will be shaken. "Wipe that smile off your face." I hissed. "I told you to train, and you are playing around in the snow!" I lashed out, kicking him with my full strength, his body bouncing off the ground as it landed a fair distance away.

"Gods dammit!" He shouted, standing up.

If nothing else, he is very adept at taking a beating. It seems my training has been paying off.

"Stop messing around and come over here." I yelled, holding a wooden box in my arms.

"Bitch!" I heard him shout from the distance, I held back a smile. I was supposed to be angry with him still, it will do no good if I break that mask so easily. "I have something for you." I stated as he approached, his annoyance was replaced with interest.

"A box, amazing!" He said, his sarcasm practically dripping from his words.

Cheeky little brat, see if I don't beat you up later. Well.... I don't dislike his rebellious side, even finding it rather cute. But, as his teacher, such words cannot be allowed to slide.

I of course slammed his face into the dirt again. "Are you going to behave like a child? Do I need to put you in time out?"

"Are you going to spank me?"

Careful with your words, I just may….it has been many years since I've had the touch of a man, and you continue to play this dangerous game.

"Have I hit you too hard, do you think you are still dreaming?" I smirked, biting back at his words. "Now, open this." I shoved the thing into his arms before he continued with his nonsense.

"This….." He lost the correct words to say as he peered inside. A small part of me was taken with pride at his reaction. "You made this for me….?" He looked at me with those eyes again….and my heart felt as if it would jump out of my chest.

Why must you continue to torture me like this?

"No, I planned on giving it to my 'other' student." I rolled my eyes. "You daft boy, of course it is for you."

Maybe with this you will remember me long after you leave? I guess if I remained in someone's memories in the passing years, it wouldn't be so bad.

"I thought of your techniques, your sword manipulation ability as well as your runic spells. I used one of my extra spears as the base and modified it into a sword. Rune's are carved all along the blade, so it works just as well to stab as it does to cast spells. You should be able to cast runes with it from a distance now."

"Thank you." He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me,

The sudden action surprised me. He is usually more conservative with things like this…..but I don't dislike the frankness either.

Yet…I hesitated.

I wanted to return such affections, but I did not believe I should. Was it okay to be greedy? Was I allowed to indulge even if it was fleeting?

I still had some to teach him…..he will remain here for the foreseeable future.

My arms returned the gesture. The warm feeling flowing through my body. I guess I can enjoy this even if it won't last forever…

***

Sorry for the no chapter yesterday, I ended up working over 16 hours and didn't get home until after midnight. Some colossal amount of fuck ups happened at work. Keep in mind that I do mostly administration work with a focus on payroll, so when fuckups reach over to me like that, then things truly hit the fan. I'll try my best to get a second chapter out tomorrow, but don't hold your breath.

Anyways, if you want to support me or read 5 chapters ahead, visit my pat.reon.com/astoryforone.

3