Chapter 64 DxD
457 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time flew by rather quickly, but not much actually happened in the few days I spent just hanging around the Clock Tower.

Truthfully, I didn't really have the will to do anything worth remembering. I kind of wanted to sit in on some lectures that were open to anyone, but I just couldn't find it in me to go.

Maybe I just didn't want to deal with anyone outside of my immediate circle right now?

"You're moping."

I turned to look at Zelretch who was sorting through some things in the library while I had an open book infront of me.

"I'm not moping." I replied.

"Mhmm." He just hummed idly.

"I'm not."

"Sure."

"Stop it, I know what you're doing, I do that!"

"Alright."

"Fuck off." I finally scowled.

"Oh, hello Saber." Zelretch turned his head. I followed his gaze, only to see no one. "And you immediately brightened up when you thought she was there." He chuckled.

"I hate you."

"Mhmm."

Gods dammit.

"So what if I'm happy to see her, it proves nothing." I snorted, going back to my book.

"Because, you're moping unless she's near by, well, you seem to be happy around Rin too and I hope you're not thinking about my precious student in that way."

"Rin is…." I chose my words carefully. "An objectively beautiful woman and someone I enjoy being around, but I do not posses the slightest romantic inclinations towards her." I would very much like to not make this ambiguous.

He just continued to hum nonchalantly, making my scowl deeper. He knew I didn't feel about Rin that way, just poking at me more. Gods he can be really infuriating sometimes.

"When do you plan on leaving?" He finally asked.

"Why, getting tired of me?"

"Just curious, I want to try and get a time frame of when I need to finish up several projects." He said calmly. "I did narrow down a few dozen world-lines that may serve your purpose as well."

Holy Grail.

It had been on my mind for awhile now, and it looks like he's getting close to finding a good one so I can just take it without any major issues.

I just sighed, setting my book down. "Alright, I am moping." I admitted. "It's just hard to find the energy to anything right now."

"Well, it's good to admit it, just keeping it bottled up is never healthy." Zelretch nodded. "Why don't you set out?"

I just blinked for a moment. "Just like that? Open a portal and pop back to my birth world?"

"Sure." He shrugged. "It's not like you have anything tying you down here."

"That's not—"

"Let me rephrase, you have nothing demanding your immediate attention." He corrected himself. "And you're making assumptions that you can't just pop back over whenever you want."

Oh…..I really am stupid sometimes.

I wanted to facepalm but I held myself back. This wasn't like back in Skyrim where I was missing some important things, nor like the Land of Shadows where I was stuck for training. I can literally come and go as I please.,..

Zelretch looked at me, a pleased smile on his face. "It often requires someone else stating the obvious to us." Clearly knowing my thoughts.

I ran a hand through my hair, thinking about my birth world again. I already decided to head back, but it felt like this huge hill to climb, yet it was as simple as snapping my fingers.

"Fine, I'll check back in within a few days I guess." I decided, standing up. I would rather not give myself any more time to think excuses to not go at this point. "Lets see, anything in particular I need to grab before I go?"

I still have a significant amount of rare minerals, gold, jewels and the like. I doubt my mundane currency will be…usable, mostly because it came from another world. Lets not get any governments on my ass because of 'counterfeit' money.

I have a nice array of potions available as well…..a lot of things for emergencies like food-stuffs.

Oh, I need to pick up some my alcohol, I'm basically out….but I guess I can do that over there.

Talismans? I have a…large amount, but that's something I could always use more. In fact….why don't I head over to Japan, specifically the center for Japan's supernatural community, Kyoto. No doubt I can pick up some decent materials over there for my purpose.

And no one would really give me a second look considering I am Japanese on my mother's side.

Perhaps I should go check up on Artoria and Rin….but I think Rin is deep in her research right now and I don't want to disturb them.

Meh, I'll check back in a few days anyways, no big deal.

"Alright, I'm convinced, and I seem to have everything I'll need already….do you by chance have that world simulated yet?"

"Only some small things, why, any specific place you want to go?"

"Well, I could probably eyeball it, but some specific location would be appreciated." I didn't want to come back right into Kuoh again….that would be awkward.

"Sure, sure, where do you want to go?"

"Kyoto."

"Hmm, nice choice, I've been meaning to take a look at the Youkai there, such an interesting group." He muttered, flipped his hand, allowing a portal to form.

"Well, guess I'm off then" I said, somewhat surprised at the small bit of excitement I found swelling up in my chest.

Without anymore lingering thoughts, I jumped through the portal.

***

I felt many things coming back here, my tick almost made me run my hand through my hair again, but I caught myself before doing so. I started my calculations immediately, perhaps some part of me paranoid and still…..self conscious about this whole thing.

As ridiculous as it is, I still can't shake the feelings I buried deep down. Logically I know they don't make much sense, but they still shake me.

But I'm much better than I was years ago. They're more of an echo of what they once were, and I am in a much better place, even if my heart is still in tatters over other matters.

Going from my home back to my birth world, there were many things made clear right away, like the state of the mana in the air.

Even though it's a 'modern' world, pollution and all that running rampant, the world seemed much more…vibrant with magical energy.

I guess having so many godly beings with nature authorities does wonder for the planet.

Hmm, what to do now. The old man was kind enough to literally drop me inside the little 'pocket dimension' that is supernatural Kyoto, I think its called – Urakyoto.

West Kyoto and East Kyoto. They were ruled over by two powerful Youkai, one of them a Nine-tailed fox, and Miko for Amaterasu. From what I recall, she also watches over the immensely powerful ley-lines for the area. On the opposite end, is a rather famous Youkai – Nurarihyon.

There is this weird coexistence between all the parties, East and West Kyoto, then all the major human families that practice various exorcism and Onmyoji arts. The board is surprisingly sturdy for some many factions existing within each other, not threatening to tip over at nearly any point.

I headed towards the nearest looking bar, somewhat western theme based on the décor, it would suite my needs perfectly.

Walking in, there were only a couple 'people' none of them humans. I was only given a cursory glance, but from what I could see so far, humans weren't 'uncommon' and I doubt my heritage made anyone annoyed.

Setting down, the bartender gave me once ago. "Whatcha want kid?"

I couldn't see what species of Youkai he was immediately, he seemed pretty good at blending in.

"Give me something strong." I set a couple gold coins on the table.

He hesitantly picked one up, inspecting it and giving me a nod. "What else you want?" He asked, pulling something up from the back to start pouring.

Well, he has good sense, knowing I overpaid for a reason. "Been out of country for awhile, some information would be nice." I set a few more coins down, he didn't even do a double take before sliding them off the table. "Some place to get some money for gold would be appreciated, and maybe some news from the past few weeks."

Surprisingly, most magical communities and supernatural species stuck to human currency. Frankly, it just made everything easier of them, for the most part. There were also supernatural authorities who monitored the stock market and such for any magical abuse. Not to mention America literally has a whole section of government dedicated to the supernatural with several Sacred Gear users.

The fantastical side of the world surviving to modern day, some really strange things seemed to evolve from necessity.

"Few blocks down, on the right, you can't miss it. They take anything for trade and offer almost any kind of human money if you want." He said bluntly. "As for news….." He thought for a moment. "Odin was making a mess of things around here not too long ago, the Shinto gods were getting a bit displeased."

Odin…..I thought back to what happened it the Land of Shadows and clenched my fists.

I won't be put in that situation again.

"Oh, the Church lost some of their little toys, been all in a tizzy over that, heard they started to poke around even here." He snorted, obviously dislike for the Christian institution. "Hmm, oh and we got a celebrity back in town." He gave a small laugh. "Okita Souji was around, he's usually down in hell serving his King."

I blinked at that last one. "Okita Souji?"

"Mhmm, one of our 'heroes' I guess. You know about him, kid?"

"I know about his legend, I suppose." Among other things…..

"Ah, well, he got turned into a devil by the big man himself, Lucifer. Serves as one of his 'knights' or something. Even with our strained relationship with the devils, it seems like most people still like the former Shinsengumi."

Yeah, pretty much what I thought.

Well, this is interesting, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled then. I doubt this has anything to do with me….is what I would like to say, but it's only been a couple weeks in this world since I've left.

"Thanks for the info." I gave him a final tip and finished my drink.

"Thanks, kid." He waved me off, clearly satisfied with his haul.

I guess I should go get some money, perhaps I should buy a house here as well? I wanted somewhere permanent, and that idea of overlaying the place on multiple world-lines keeps popping up in the back of my mind.

 

3