Chapter 002 – No Speed Limits?!
50 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Deep in the maze-like cave, finally safe from those who sought to sacrifice them to some goddess, a little blue light flickered, illuminating the dreary walls of the damp tunnel for moments at a time.

“There we go, I can use a bit of power now.” The small blue pixie quietly celebrated.
“I’m feeling a little better . I really was moments away from joining the rest of those pixies. It’ll take a while to fully recharge though. Hey. Hey, human boy… Hey!”

It struggled to cast a steady beam of light from its hand, faint as it was, then pointed it toward the boy, but he was still unresponsive, curled up on the ground and mumbling to himself about something he’d lost. He had a healthy body, but it looked weak and frail beneath the blue robe in which the vessel had been dressed.

The frustration in its voice gradually turned to pity as the boy whimpered, still unable to fully control his own limbs.

“What’s wrong, human boy?” It attempted to ask with some sincerity.
“Are you injured?”

After a few moments passed awkwardly, he clumsily sat up and looked at the pixie. He turned his head to observe it, but his head wobbled like an infant as he struggled to control the muscles in his neck.

“I feel… no pain… just cold…” His words were still difficult to understand, but he spoke quicker than before.
“My body… strange… human…?”

“Your body seems healthy to me, human boy.” The pixie’s eyes glowed slightly as she looked at him.
“It’s very healthy in fact.”

“My tires… My engine… Headlights… Where…” He continued, his face contorting painfully in confusion.

“Are those weapons? Were you a warrior in your world?” The pixie asked excitedly.
“What’s your name, human warrior?”

“Not human… Micro… I’m a Micro.” He spoke with a childish frown that made the pixie laugh.

“Okay, Micro.” She nodded.
“That’s a nice name, really. Do you remember what happened before you arrived here?”

Micro looked around the cave as he tried to recall the events which led him there.

“We were driving into town… The old man needed something…” He became quiet after a moment.

“Hey, human!” The pixie waved at him.
“Talk out loud, not in your head!”

“Sorry…” Micro snapped out of his silent state.
“A boy on his phone… walked into the road…”

Micro placed his hands on his head in despair as he recounted the event.

“There was an accident.” He cried.
“The boy was hit… then another car… then there were strange lights.”

“I’m not sure what you’re trying to say.” The pixie scratched her head.
“So there was an accident with your master? What’s a car?”

“After the accident, I was floating.” Micro continued slowly.
“A woman, with wings, glowing… She spoke to me.”

“You must have met Nora.” The pixie spoke with some disdain.
“That magic-loving rascal of a deity has a reputation for failure. And she sent you here?”

“The old man… Is he okay…?” The boy asked desperately.
“Is he safe? That boy… That boy on the phone…”

“Sorry, kid.” The pixie shrugged.
“That world is far behind you now. Whatever you were over there, you’re here now, and we’re still not out of trouble yet.”

The boy took a deep breath, attempting to calm himself.

“Where is this place?” His voice was much easier to listen to now.

“I think this is the Beryl Kingdom now.” The pixie crossed its arms and thought for a moment.
“Well, to be specific, this is a cave in the Beryl Kingdom. To be honest, this is the last place I want to be while those crazy magicians are out looking for sacrifices.”

“Magicians?” Micro tilted his wobbly head in surprise at the word.

“Do you think we can move along now?” The pixie’s patience was running low.
“If the magicians don’t get us down here, the goblins will.”

“Goblins?”

“If not something worse.” The pixie nodded again.
“I’m getting a dungeon vibe from this place, and I still can’t see very well. We can’t stay here long.”

“No parking…” The boy seemed to understand the pixie’s words in his own way.
“We should move then.”

After taking a moment to inspect his limbs yet again, he managed to stand, then picked up the pixie in its cage.

“I’ll try and keep the way lit.” The pixie gave a thumbs up with its glowing hand.
“Just don’t drop me, and I think I’ll be able to find a way out of here.”

“I wouldn’t drop a passenger…” The boy reassured the caged creature.

“Okay then.” The pixie smiled. “Go that way!”

“Umm…” The boy suddenly stopped moving, startling the pixie.

“What’s wrong?” It asked worriedly.
“Can’t you move?”

The boy looked around quietly, then frowned at the pixie.

“No signs…”

“What signs? What are you talking about?”

“What… is the speed limit… on this road?”

3