Chapter 005 – Dragon? What?
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The yellow dragon floated above the surface of the water, its eerie aura casting a faint light over the boy in front of it. It lowered its head to the level of Micro’s with a growl and looked closely at him for a moment.

“In all my thousand years, I’ve never seen a soul like this.” The dragon almost sounded impressed, its deep voice resounding throughout the cave.
“But this vessel is ill suited to the needs of your soul… the work of third rate magicians no doubt. Nothing worth eating, perhaps...”

The dragon snorted in disgust and withdrew from the boy.

“It does feel oddly like I’m in need of an oil change.” The boy agreed, but his words were lost on the dragon.

“I am Ray, born of the Amber Serpent's Dungeon.” The dragon announced proudly.
“You intrigue me, strange soul. I could eat you, but it would be a waste of something unique.”

“Thanks, I think.” Micro smiled.
“I’m a Micro, by the way. And this is Blue. We’re looking for the exit, but we could use some help finding it.”

The dragon squinted its big, glowing eyes before reeling back in thunderous laughter.

“Indeed, this is no place for such weak little creatures as yourself.” The dragon may have been smiling, but it was hard to tell.
“Very well. I’ll put you in my debt today.”

The dragon who called itself Ray extended its right arm to Micro’s chest, poking him gently with its extended claw. Micro was unafraid of the dragon, but looked in confusion at the claw touching his chest. Suddenly, the claw began to glow, and his chest felt warm.

“There.” The dragon spoke confidently.
“I’ve strengthened your core for the time being, though you will still die if you do not strengthen it.”

“Like a Core Card?” Micro asked.
“Blue mentioned those.”

“Hmm? A Core Card would teach you something, sure.” The dragon nodded.
“But your own core is of too low a level to contain that oddly shaped soul at the moment. I’d say… yes, at least an amber level core.”

“How do I get an emerald core?” Micro shrugged.

“You must find a master, as any human would.” The dragon’s voice was beginning to soften.
“I’m feeling generous, after all. Take this.”

The dragon held its claw above its head for a moment, and a bolt of lightning blinded Micro. Blue’s eyes were already tightly shut in fear as she grasped the bars of her cage. Micro looked closely and noticed the familiar shape of a Core Card had appeared between two of the dragons long claws. It looked tiny in its monstrous hand, but its colour was different to the broken card Micro had stumbled across before.

“If you can, find a sect that follows the path of the Serpent Art, and show them this.” Ray delicately placed the card in Micro’s hand.
“This should put you in their good graces.”

“This one is yellow.” Micro waved it in the air for Blue to see, but she was still trembling in the corner of her little cage with both eyes shut.

“Indeed it is.” Ray explained.
“It is meant for those who have attained the level of an Amber Core, the second stage a cultivator achieves. Your vessel already possesses a Jade Core, but it is insufficient for your needs. Find a master, and cultivate a core to contain your odd spirit. The Water Serpent Art is a noble Art, so you’d be lucky to have mastered it.”

“Umm, thank you very much.” Micro scratched his head, which he noticed was completely healed.

“When I inhabited the Amber Serpent’s Dungeon many years ago, few cultivators ever won that card from me.” The dragon spoke proudly.
“So, your contract is this.”

“Contract?” Micro raised an eyebrow at the sudden mention of a contract.

“When you have finally cultivated your core to at least the emerald stage…” The dragon’s face suddenly began to emanate malice and bloodlust.
“As soon as your soul is stable within an Amber Core, you must find my rival and defeat him.”

“Your rival?” Micro asked.
“Who would rival a school bus?”

“You must find the one whose antics resulted in the both of us being banished from our dungeon.” Ray spoke bitterly.
“Find the filthy yellow basilisk named Lo, and beat the daylight out of him. Oh, take this as well.”

The dragon repeated his previous gesture, and another card appeared spectacularly in his claws. Ray appeared to grin as he tossed the yellow card to Micro.

“That Water Spirit Shield Skill Card should help you deal with the poison. Oh, I wish I could see his face when you show up with that skill!”

Ray’s aura exploded with bloodlust and he stared at Micro.

“Accept this contract, or be my dinner.”

“I don’t really-” Micro’s voice revealed his confusion, but he was suddenly interrupted.

“He accepts!” Blue screeched from her cage.
“He’ll do it! Please, let us leave!”

The dragon glanced at the cage, then turned back to Micro, awaiting his answer. After considering the pixie’s words for a moment, Micro nodded his head.

“Okay.” He cheerfully replied and extended his free hand.

“Good…” the dragon replied ominously.
“What… What are you doing.”

Ray looked awkwardly down at the hand being extended to him.

“I’ve already given your vessel all the power it can hold.” Ray sounded irritated now.
“Dare you ask for more?”

“It’s a contract, right?” Micro inquired.
“Then we ‘shake on it’, don’t we?”

“What?”

“Isn’t that how contracts work?” He continued.
“The old man always did business that way.”

With some hesitation, the dragon extended its hand to the small human boy in front of him, who confidently grasped one of its long claws and shook it for just a moment before letting go.

“That’s it?” Ray asked awkwardly.

“It’s a deal.” Micro smiled.
“Bye then."

Micro waved at the big yellow dragon, then left with Blue to continue down the cave.

With the feeling of a full tank of gas and a clean windshield, he walked briskly along. As Blue continued to shiver fearfully in the cage he held, he thought he heard the dragon mumble something before slipping back into its pool.

“Strange boy… Hard not to like him though…”

 

I'll post here regularly until I've caught up with what I've posted on Royal Road.  
Thanks for reading!

1