Chapter 013 – On the Road Again
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Blue’s dazzling departure, Feng prepared another cup of tea for Micro, whose face told of his newfound resolution, and the two enjoyed a quiet morning of conversation. Feng was curious to hear about Micro’s life and recent adventures, but gave up trying to decipher the meaning of half the words Micro used.

“So you’re saying there are thousands of magicians standing around who carry a green, yellow, and red light.” Feng strained his old brain, failing to grasp Micro’s descriptions.
“And their only purpose is to tell people who are moving to stop, and to tell people who have stopped to start moving…?

“That’s still a bit different from how traffic lights work…” Micro smiled apologetically.

“Ah… Forget it.” Feng hung his head and sighed, rubbing his temples wearily.
“You really are an amazing soul from a wonderful place. I’m sorry to have called you a simple farm tool before.”

“That’s okay. I enjoyed talking with you. I’m still not used to talking yet.” Micro laughed.
“I’ve always been aware of myself and things around me, but I’ve never been able to think about things like this. I wish I could have spoken with the old man like this at least once…”

“Are you sure you’re ready to leave so soon?” Feng looked a little sad at the thought of Micro leaving.

“Yes, I’m sure.” Micro nodded confidently.
“If the road home is as long as you say it is, then I should leave right away. If you get stuck in traffic, you can’t blame your alarm clock after all.”

“You what?”

“That’s how the old man used to put it…” Micro stood up and bowed deeply.
“I’ll always remember what you taught me. Goodbye.”

Micro turned quickly to leave, feeling a sense of urgency to carry out his lengthy quest, but Feng called out to him as he reached for the door.

“Hold on.” Feng said while rummaging through the things on his shelf.
“A parting gift…”

Micro watched as he eventually found a small box, which he quickly brought over to Micro. Micro received the box and opened it right away, and he was surprised by what he found.

“It’s a Core Card…” He clumsily lifted the card out of the box and examined it more closely. It felt warm in his hands, and bringing it close to his face made him a little bit dizzy.
“But it’s red?”

“Indeed it is. It’s meant for cultivators who have achieved a Ruby core, the fifth level.” Feng spoke with reverence to the card’s power.
“Few ever achieve the Sapphire realm like my master did. Fewer still reach the Emerald stage that follows it. But I have only heard of the immortals of distant sects achieving the Ruby core and beyond. Be careful around that, it’s not a normal Core Card.”

“Wait a second, this looks like that other card I have.”

“That’s because it is the same skill, but of a much higher level. While the Spirit Vision skill will provide you with greatly enhanced vision, a much higher Skill Level will give you powers you cannot yet imagine.” Feng’s excited explanation

“Where did you find it?” Micro fumbled with it for a moment as the power radiating from it continued to affect him, then he added it to the collection of cards in his pocket.

“I was young and foolish once.” Feng began.
“The third son of the sect leader led an expedition to a far away dungeon which had recently been uncovered. I insisted on joining them, but the expedition ended in disaster. We never imagined it was a dungeon of that level, and in my cowardice I ran away with the only card our group had found.”

“The rest didn’t survive the dungeon?”

“No, not one.” Feng replied curtly.
“But I kept this card with me as a reminder of sorts, though I’m not sure why anymore. Maybe in my arrogance I thought that one day I’d be strong enough to learn the skill it contains, but it may find a real purpose in your hands. May it serve you well.”

“So after I strengthen my Core to the Ruby stage, I’ll be able to learn the skill?”

“To say it so simply.” Feng chuckled.
“But yes, that is the order of things. The level of the skill is a warning to the weak. You must never attempt to internalize a skill beyond your level, or a great imbalance would form in your very core, not unlike the situation you are currently in.”

“I’ll do my best not to eat the card before I’m ready.”

“You really must find a master to instruct you more thoroughly before you try eating Core Cards, promise me.”

“Yes, Feng.” Micro replied earnestly.
“I will.”

“Alright, off with you then.” Feng ushered Micro out the door and pointed in the opposite direction Micro had come from.
“I do believe there is some fate involved in how you came to possess that Serpent Art card, so it may serve you well to seek out the Water Serpent Sect. They’ll be suspicious of anyone wearing the attire of their sworn rivals, but they’ll be more than accommodating after you explain how you came to possess the Serpent Art Card. And run from any monsters you come across, there are-”

“I’ll come visit you one day.” Micro promised the old man, but he frowned before he began to walk.
“They really should put some roads down out here.”

Feng laughed and waved.

“I’ll get to work on that right away, my young friend.” He shouted joyfully.
“You’re a fine student, and I wish you luck on your journey home!”

And just like that, old Feng’s solitary life resumed. As he stared into the dark forest where Micro had gone, he wondered about the strange fate the boy seemed to walk with

“I wonder how far he’ll really go…”

 

1