8. The Hair Clip Guy (1)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Contrary to my expectations, there hasn’t been any conflict whatsoever after the confrontation with Arok. Besides the circulating rumor, nothing much happened, and I prefer it to stay that way. Though I did make a countermeasure to stop the rumor.

On the next Monday, I tried to talk to the person on the side further from Kevin. Much like Kevin, he’s a Chinese Indonesian, but unlike Kevin, this guy has a slender body and wears glasses. He totally oozes a nerdy aura.

“Wassup?” I said to him as casually as possible.

“Uh, good?” He said as he looked at me in puzzlement.

“Er, what was your name again? Canda, was it?” I asked while  reminding myself in my heart, ‘smile, smile!

For a second, I could see his somewhat unpleasant expression. “It’s Chandra.” He corrected me.

“Oh, right. Sorry.” I said.

Just when I was about to take this conversation further, he said, “I’m going to the restroom.”

Dejectedly, I said to him, “Oh, okay.”

As I saw his figure going out of the bathroom, Indah and Sasa passed by him into the classroom with small bags of Lays from the canteen and went straight towards their seating in front of me.

Indah sat with her side facing me while opening one bag of Lays. She took one slice of potato chip and put it into her mouth, then offered me, “Want?” She said as she chewed.

I took one slice and said, “Thanks.”

“Y’know, just then someone complimented the hair clips that Sasa and I got from you.” She said to me.

“Mhm,” I replied while chewing.

“So, like, she said she also wanted a hair clip. I wonder if you’re willing to give one to her?” She said.

“Huh?” I responded in bewilderment.

Her sudden request made me ponder for a bit whether I should comply or not. However, after considering my reputation right now, I immediately answered, “Alright.”

Then I asked her, “What motifs does she want?”

“Ah, I forgot to ask. Let’s ask her.” She said, then waved towards the table at the very corner of our classroom. 

I rotated my head in the direction Indah waved her hand and saw a pair of girls. One of them is the girl with a height of 170 centimeters, the tallest in this class, Shakira. Beside her was her tablemate, Laras, a girl of the same height as Indah.

The girls looked at Indah and waved at them, and they both widened their eyes. They then proceeded to look at each other, as if telepathically asking each other, ‘Who did she call, you or me?’. 

A few seconds after that telepathic exchange, Laras stood up from her chair and approached us. “Y-yes, Indah?” She asked.

Instead of answering, Indah passed the question to me with the gesture of her hand.

“Um, hi.” I said clumsily, then continued to ask Laras, “I heard you wanted a hair clip?”

“Oh, yes, I did.” She said with an awkward smile, then added, “But, it’s okay if you don’t feel like it.”

“No, no, I don’t mind at all. I just want to ask what motifs you want?” I said.

Laras became silent and put her pointer finger at her lips elegantly blurred by crimson lipstick despite being prohibited by the school.

Her silence that lasted only for a couple of seconds was broken by her own question, “Is a yellow shooting star okay?”

“Yeah, sure. Wait for it tomorrow.” I gave her my answer.

Laras looked at me for a while. “O... okay. thanks.” She said and returned to her deskmate’s side.

I tried to recollect my hair clips collection at home, looking for whether I had made the motifs or not, Or whether I had the necessary materials or not. As my memory failed to produce results, I muttered to myself, ‘Maybe I should replenish my stock of materials.

 

****

 

The day went on as usual with classes until 3 P.M. And just like how it has been, I went towards the busway station with Indah. And just like usual, Indah went out of the bus at her usual destination, and I exited the bus at my destination. 

However, there was a place I had to visit first before returning home. That is the fabrics shop near the busway station.

The fabrics shop distance was only 5 minutes away from the busway station by foot. I walked my way towards it. The sun was shining brightly, but since the place was close I didn’t sweat much. 

As soon as the glass door to the three-story shop was within my reach, I put my hand on the handle and opened it. The smells of fabrics, along with the cool breeze of the air conditioner, went past my body towards the outdoors. 

It was basically like a fart, but with a fabric smell.

“Excuse me,” I said, announcing my entrance.

“Uril, my dear!” A shout was coming from the cashier.

The voice owner was a healthy lady whose height only reached two-thirds of my own. Her mature face was glowing with elegance. Anyone who had only met her for once might be deceived, but I had known her for more than 10 years of my life, so I knew the truth. She’s actually middle-aged.

“Hi, Nana.” I greeted her.

Mrs. Nana showed me a smile as bright as she always does, and said, “We haven’t met for days! Let’s chit-chat.”

I smiled at her politeness and looked at the visitors, each attended by an employee. “Are you sure you are not busy today?”

“It’s fine! Come here.” She said, gesturing for me to go with her. She went towards the personnel areas furthest inside.

That was just how we usually do our greetings, and I followed the cheerful manager, like always.

“Your usual things, boy?” She asked.

“Yep,” I said as I sat on the cushioned stool.

Mrs. Nana busied herself with preparing my request: flannel sheets, plastic hair clips, and threads. “Diligent as always. So, how was school?” She asked while moving around.

“So far so good. I’m still trying to adjust.”

“Mhm. That’s fine.”

“How about you, Nana? How are things?”

“Me? I’m great. The kids were also doing alright.”

“Father’s not here?” I spewed another question, this time about the owner of the shop.

“No, he left this afternoon.”

“Oh,” I said, indifferent.

“So, is there a girl you find interesting in school?”

I was dazed for a while due to her out-of-the-blue question. She smirked at me, amused by my reaction. Inferring her means, I answered, “You know I’m not going to delve into romance and stuff.”

Her grin widened, and then it turned into a laugh quickly. “Ahahaha! That’s not what I’m asking though.”

Her laughter flushed my cheeks. I racked my brain, and Indah’s face flashed in my mind. “Well, I guess there is someone interesting.”

Mrs. Nana, her grin still plastered on her face, said jokingly, “I see. How unfortunate for her, you’re not into being lovey-dovey.”

Not long after, Mrs. Nana came to me with a tote bag, and said, “Here are your requested goods.”

“Thanks,” I said.

I peeked into the tote bag and saw if there was anything left I might add. After confirming that everything I need is there, I asked her, “So the total ...?”

Mrs. Nana smiled at me, and said, “Sometimes I don’t get why the boss wouldn’t let you take anything here for free. The total’s fifty thousand Rupiah.”

“Ahaha. Well, business is business, he said.” I said after I gave her the money.

“Take care, Uril. Come visit again and have a chat.” She said as we went towards the front door.

“I will. See you next time.” I said, waving to her as I stepped outside the shop.

From the shop, it only takes me another 5 minutes of walking to reach my house, so I managed to go past the fence with the color of the bright afternoon sky protecting it in no time. 

I took out the key to the door in my wallet, inserted it into the keyhole, and spun it. After I heard the ‘click!’ sound, I took out the key and entered.

“I’m home,” I announced my entrance as I took off my shoes.

“Welcome home.” A shout came from a room with an open door further at the back.

I went inside the room, took the right hand of the lady sitting on her work desk, and kissed it. All those were done without her batting an eye in my direction.

“You’re from the shop?” She asked, her eyes still glued to the A4 paper on her work desk. A sketch of a dress was drawn on it.

“Yeah, I was, mom,” I answered, then proceeded to exit her working space and went straight to my bedroom.

I put the tote bag from the shop on my study desk and put down my randsell on my bed’s side. Quickly after I changed my uniform, I sat on my study desk, took out the things I bought, and muttered to myself, ‘time to make some masterpiece.’

0