Chapter 12
44 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After returning to the Capital with an overwhelming victory, and true to her words, Esdeath let three guys survive—only.

With Haco’s promotion, brought a load of benefits he was receiving. Like better lodging and better pay grade.

But the responsibility also requires a high standard of requirements—that Haco just barely had to be part of the Three Beasts. So most of his time was dedicated to training alone, but occasionally Daidara would come and bother him for a fight.

He and Liver never talked to each other, and just ignored each other when the situation befitted it.

And it seems like it wasn’t today it did, as Liver approached with hands behind his back, followed by more than a dozen soldiers.

“You have an urgent mission,” told Liver, but—

“Piss off!”

Haco didn’t care and showed the stubbornness of a kid. Taking orders from Liver was the last thing he wanted.

“It’s a mission from the general. Are you sure you want to ignore it?” As a veteran, Liver knew where to pull and push a rookie. And sure, Haco changed his mind when Esdeath’s name was labeled on the mission.

“… What do I have to do?”

Satisfied, Liver nodded—much to Haco’s annoyance—and began explaining the details, “You remember General Najenda?”

Haco acknowledged with a nod.

“We have intel she’s about to defect and join armies with the Revolutionary Army. The Emperor had ordered Esdeath to stop them before that happens. The problem is, it’s impossible to catch up with Najenda’s army if we don’t slow them down.”

To end his explanation, Liver pointed at Haco, “That’s where you and the soldiers behind me come in. We need people with resilience to stall them, so the general’s army can catch up.”

For a second, Haco felt something was wrong with the mission, but he’d another question that bothered him. “Revolutionary Army, who’s that?"

Like a practiced mantra, Liver answered the most important point, “A force of traitors that tries to undermine the Empire’s power and take over the regime. We don’t have any more time to waste. You should hurry.”

The urging irked Haco to once again use his trademark cursing, “Piss off!”

Nevertheless, he still moved out with the soldiers and left Liver behind in his own thoughts.

‘This isn’t defying orders and is truly the most successful way to complete the objective, but—I sure hope he dies.’

Esdeath had ordered Liver to quickly assemble and send a squad to slow Najenda down, but who should be in it, was left to Liver’s arrangement.

For the past weeks, Liver’d grown very tired of being in company with Haco. Being constantly vigilant of occasional emotional outbursts had strained his mind.

After a day of pushing the horse—and the reserve horse—to gallop death, they caught up to Najenda.

But Haco was once again reminded of his nativeness and how stupid he is.

‘I should have asked how many people we’re supposed to delay.’ Haco felt like fainting out of anger, of himself, but also Liver.

Because how are 10 people supposed to hold off a 100-man army back?

And now that the pieces fall together, Haco now understands why his companions seemed so unemotionally attached that it’s creepy. They were ready to die to fulfill the mission.

Haco sure as hell was not! When he hadn’t confirmed who set him up. Still, he’d an idea he very much hated.

“… I really hate being plotted against by people acting all righteous.” Haco let his thoughts escape his lips, making the dead eyes of his companions look at him in question.

“Oi! What’re you looking at?”

That’s what he harshly said to release some steam. He’d no intention of using this perfect time to run away when it seemed impossible because—

‘Things are deemed impossible until it’s done!'

Having steeled himself, began going against the person Liver had made leader—and is technically the temporary leader to Haco. But he’d no intention of listening to a senior that is weaker but has more military knowledge, so Haco messed him up and took charge.

With a plan in mind and a lot of hope, it began.

Far south of the Empire...

Najenda had just left Mt. Firm with her army behind.

She’d just finished the meeting with the Revolutionary Army disguised as mountain bandits and she has decided to join them.

But the mountain would be too cramped if her army was to be stationed there, so it was decided she moved it to the Revolutionary Army’s HQ.

‘I will create a new country. A country where people can live in peace and security!’ Swore Najenda with peak determination.

It was very reassuring to be supported by her army too. It made her think there were better days coming.

She was very collected and had long imagined the Empire’s response to send out hunting parties to stop her. But it mattered not, as she already had intel of Esdeath’s whereabouts—and it was impossible for her to catch up.

Suddenly blue fireballs launched in front of her—from a tree.

It landed just in front of the horses.

Before anyone could panic, Najenda’s voice calmed them down, “Don’t panic. The fire doesn’t burn.”

Before deciding to defect, Najenda had naturally gathered as much information as possible. And the new star of the show—Haco—wasn’t an exception. Still, Najenda was apprehensive, ‘If he’s here, does that mean Esdeath is too?’

Being apprehensive, made her forget to take one thing into consideration. Even if her words calmed her soldiers, would they calm the horses?

The prior proud stallions neighed and reared in fright by the sight of the unknown. The riders attempted to calm them, but they kept backing off from the flames, that steadily rose into a little wall of fire.

Until—

One horse bumped into a foot soldier that didn’t have the chance to get out of the way. The touch made the horse respond in fright, as it began kicking and jumping around. The unfortunate soldier met those hooves and was sent flying like a bowling ball into his fellow soldiers.

Like a ripple, every horse began acting up, and the foot soldiers had to be careful of enemies, but also the agitated horses.

Najenda was the first to get the horse under control and aimed her gun at the tree, where she spotted the assailant, and fired an energy blast.

**Boom!**

She’d wanted to fire a few more shots, but she was surprised when people attacked with shields and spears by jumping through the wall of fire.

Of course, her army wasn’t weak and retaliated, but that wasn’t what she was concerned about.

‘Where is he?’

Her worry was right on point when suddenly, Haco charged through the fire—with his legs transformed into talons—and attacked in the blind spot. If he could kill the target here and be done with it, why not do it? That was his thinking. Furthermore, a gun’s barrel was easy to evade with her hindered vision.

With a leap through the equally blue fire as the sky, Haco kicked forward—with his concentrated for stabbing—at Najenda’s upper back.

As to ruin everything, a man with a white mask which had yellow eyes crossed out in black, nobly jumped in his way.

**Splat!**

Left with a fatal, rotated tear drop hole in his chest, exiting the arm pit, the masked man would die. The problem was—

“Let go!!”

In the last struggle, the masked man used his last strength to hold onto the leg. The grip was very rigid—which shouldn’t have been possible with a wound like that.

“You’re not going anywhere!” Vowed the masked man before yelling, “Do it! Shoot!!”

Not even wasting time to asses what Najenda was doing, Haco twisted around while using the other leg to kick the man where the ear is supposed to be.

He knew it, from his gut was telling. It was a race against time.

Especially when he heard the sound of a click. It was the last signal to hurry.

With his hope, Haco’s vision dimmed, as the result of a little energy ray going through the side of his head.

The masked man had to let go of Haco’s corpse, and as soon as he did, fell to the ground himself.

After making sure no assailants were left alive, Najenda quickly jumped off her horse and checked her dying comrade.

“I’m done for. The mask cannot keep me alive for much longer. Quickly take it and go make a peaceful country!” The masked man urged before going quiet.

After giving her heartfelt goodbye, Najenda took the guy’s mask and moved on, to the Revolutionary Army’s HQ, with more determination than ever. She would defeat Esdeath and her goons.

It’s not impossible, she and her friend had just proved it, although it cost sacrifices. But she was determined.

For a while that is...

Because before her, was Esdeath, on horseback, with an army approaching with rapid speed. Just behind, rode her bodyguards.

That was a jolt of terror that was not planned. It didn’t match her intel.

Surprisingly, Najenda was the first to speak when Esdeath came into a speaking distance, “I can’t even imagine how quickly you must have traveled to catch up to us!”

In response, Esdeath just smiled deviously before she began bringing the nightmare of Najenda’s life.

Esdeath easily overwhelmed Najenda and dug an eye out before taking an arm. Making non-fatal attacks on purpose, “I won’t give you an easy death. I’m going to grind you down slowly and brutally.”

As Najenda’s army and herself were being brutally butchered, reinforcements arrived.

Taking a quick decision, Esdeath ordered, “Retreat!!” before she jumped on her horse.

The last surprise for both Najenda, but also Esdeath, was that Haco’s corpse suddenly rose before the remaining of his wound disappeared.

From behind the troopers, he quickly stole a friendly soldier’s horse and followed the retreat with a terribly pale face. Properly, either from experiencing a death experience, or the energy consumption it had taken to stay alive.

The last thing Najenda did before succumbing to her wounds was to deny reality.

‘Impossible!! I shot him through the head!'

0