Chapter 17
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Haco and Esdeath have left Uncle Bill behind and began strolling into the Gravekeepers’ territory. Straight through the front door. They were trying to be as obvious on purpose because—

“You surprised me a little. I thought you were asking for the moon.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“That you wanted something impossible. Let’s say, not wanting to kill anyone and make all your kind follow you to the Capital without problems?”

Haco scoffed at Esdeath’s words, “I’m not taking any chances of my people rebelling. It would ruin the only chance I got.“

“That’s true. It would be a shame if I had to kill them all.”

His face muscles couldn’t help pull a little at Esdeath’s sarcastic remark. He’d thought of a theory on the way here. Why would Esdeath go along with this? Why is she so willing to bring the Gravekeepers to the Capital?

Because she wanted to start a conflict.

Haco could imagine how unwilling the previous generation of Gravekeepers would be if they suddenly had to change. After all, he’d been the center of loathing since he proposed it as a young teenager to Weneg.

They should have accepted it then because now it’s too late for them. Especially, two people. They were on the top of the kill list.

It didn’t take long before they were stopped by a group of three people. They recognized Haco despite having shaved his head and let a lousy mohawk be. The young teenager between the pair even called out to Haco in disbelief, “Haco!? Weren’t you killed by the leader?”

“Addison, you’re only getting one chance. Join me. Leave your parents behind and let’s transform the Gravekeepers together.”

“Blah-blah! Still talking nonsense.” The boy mocked while waving his three skulls around his neck around, “As you can see, I have reached a higher rank than you, so don’t keep talking like you’re more than me. You’re just a traitor."

To hand landed on the boy’s shoulder, “Well said, ma’ boy. You’re indeed your father’s and mother’s son.” After the praise, the father looked at his wife, “We did good. Wife, kill the woman. We will capture Haco.”

Haco did a sigh. He’d been doing that a lot, and probably would continue to do for a long while.

It was rare for Gravekeepers to have a harmonious family relationship like these three. That’s also the reason why Haco had to give Addison a chance, despite already knowing the answer.

Together the family acted and activated their Secret Arts. From under the lower body, the legs turned spade-shaped with black-and-white striped coats wrapped around them. While the toes transformed into tough hooves.

The power in those Zebra legs looked like they could compete with Haco’s kicks.

But Haco didn’t wish to fight meaningless fights. That was just how he was.

Esdeath on the other hand was eager to let loose. It wasn’t a matter of time, she’d already acted.

“Kyaaaaaargrr!!!” The woman writhed in pain as she held the stumps left of her legs.

Esdeath held one of the Zebra legs in her hand and marveled with her sword in the other, “These would make some excellent coasters."

That was all the exotic skin was worth. To be an accessory to protect her table.

The remark aroused a mad furry in the father and son as they charged at Esdeath in a line—with Addison running behind.

Those strong Zebra legs pushed them through the wind as the sound of clip-clop synched between the father and son—galloping to their death.

When they had about reached her, Esdeath dropped the Zebra leg and in a flash stabbed through the woman’s throat, stifling the cries. The tip of her persistently long rapier continued its pierce until it had the family of three speared.

The top hunter on the savannah had arrived. And she wasn’t hungry, she was hunting for sport, never getting enough.

Haco felt pity for them when Esdeath pulled it out and let them fall in the dirt. The mother had just died. The father died instantly when his heart was pierced. All that was left, was Addison. His left lung was punctured, slowly drowning in his own blood.

“Let’s continue. This couldn’t even be called a warm-up.”

While Esdeath left him to suffer, Haco transformed his foot into a talon and swiped the neck.

Addison was trying hard to say something, properly a curse, or so speculated Haco when Esdeath commented, “You really are boring. Nothing, except your ability, is interesting.”

All it provoked from Haco was a wry smile, “I’m not like you. Fighting is not something I seek pleasure in.”

With a sharp turn, under Esdeath’s military cap, her single eye seemingly gazed into his soul. “Then you should probably join the Revolutionary Army.”

It wasn’t like he hadn’t considered that. It was just… it felt like there was more to gain in the current defective Empire. Fingers are slipping here and there. Accidents happen all the time. Money can buy a lot.

Starting from scratch, with nothing, doesn’t appeal.

Returning the stare, Haco gave a laid-back reply, “I’m making progress, so I’m good where I am. Maybe in the future."

“Good. Make sure you tell me when you do."

“No. You would kill me."

“That’s true.”

In normal times, he wouldn’t reply that way. But, remembering the people he has to make sure are dead, is occupying a big part of his mind.

Having been working for Esdeath for around a year now, also made him more comfortable with the battle-crazed nature hiding under the feminine appearance.

To work directly under Esdeath, without going insane, takes will—or maybe requires personality defects from childhood.

Without a shed of guilt, and just an unhealthy amount of desire to achieve, Haco continued like a judge and executioner, to give or let Esdeath take life—by tearing them apart.

Gravekeepers that could transform into lions, jackals, turtles, or bears, stood no chance before Esdeath. “I have hunted a lot of these when I was just a little girl.”

None accepted Haco’s proposal.

He would let Esdeath pick up the slaughter—until now. He insisted on going in on this one.

A Gravekeeper appeared in the sky. With arms as raven black wings.

“Old Man.”

0