Chapter 1 Origins
205 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Izuku Midoriya was having a bad day, heck he was having a bad life. This made sense though, after all when you live in a world filled with quirks, where eighty percent of the population has some kind of superpower while you have none, that makes for a pretty shitty life.

If he had to, Izuku would say that his childhood was good up until he turned four, that was when it all went to hell. He clearly remembered the hope in his eyes when he went to the doctor's office with his mother, aiming to find out what his quirk is and when it would awaken. You see, when super powers appear, obviously it wouldn't take long for villains to follow and before long, superheroes which appeared only in comics suddenly became a government sanctioned profession.

Everyone wanted to be one, and he was no exception, but he learned how unfair the world could be that day at the doctor's when he was informed that he would not be developing a quirk, and all because of two joints in his pinky toe. That was when Izuku's world started crashing down around him. 

His dream of becoming a hero was gone just like that, but that didn't make him despair. The kids started to bully him for his powerlessness. It started out mild, some teasing here, a prank there until it gradually got more serious. 

They began using their quirks to shock, punch and even jab him with their unusually long, sharp nails. What made it worse was when Katsuki, his best friend had joined in as well, throwing explosions at him like they were going out of style. However even this did not break him. He had endured, both for himself and for the sake of his mother.

It got even worse when he entered junior high and their quirks were stronger and more powerful. The worst part was when the teachers turned a blind eye to the abuse. He saw the hate and disdain in their eyes as they allowed the kids to beat on him.

This also did not break him, however he did change and adopted a more realistic thought process. This change took place about a year ago. It was a day Izuku remembered well, he had been running from Katsuki and his cronies who were trying to beat on him as usual. It took a while but he finally managed to evade them by hiding in a dumpster down a nearby alleyway.

After being sure he had escaped his tormentors, Izuku ran the rest of the way home and went up to his apartment door. He was surprised to see two men in police uniforms standing out side of his house. He approached them and hesitantly asked, " U-um can I help you?"

The police looked his way as they replied, " Are you Izuku Midoriya?" Izuku felt a sense of dread seeping into him at what they could possibly be here for, but he answered the question by nodding. "I am very sorry to have to tell you this, but your mother Inko Midoriya was hit by a car during a robbery chase earlier today and died on impact" the cop kept talking but he was too shocked to listen, tears forming at the corners of his eyes.

That was the day everything changed for Izuku, because he had no living relatives he was sent to an orphanage where he was harassed similarly to how he was at school. It was also the day he learned a valuable lesson, nobody can save everyone. His only moments of happiness was in his newfound hobby, tinkering with electronics.

He would look through dumpsters for old junk no one uses anymore, bring it back and fix it up. When that got boring he decided he would challenge himself and his analytical skills. Taking the notes on heroes he painstakingly made, he would challenge himself to create tools that compensate for the weaknesses he observed.

For example, with the most recent hero he observed, Eraserhead, he made goggles that would rehydrate your eyes with drops every minute to counteract the dry eye he seems to get from his quirk. For most however he could only use theories and such as he did not have the tools to create the technology he wanted.

A perfect example of this would be the soon to be graduate of UA they have been talking about who has a quirk that allows her to become a giant essentially, but she can only go from giant form to normal form.

If he had the right tools, Izuku was confident he could make a suit that would allow her to stop her growth anywhere between her full size and normal size, allowing for more flexibility in crowded cities.

A year went by like that, with Izuku enduring the torment of his classmates and fellow orphans while working on his tech and theories in secret. After debating a while, he decided to join the support course and help heroes save the day by building gear, since his dream of becoming one is unattainable.

He wanted to build things that save lives, so nothing like what happened to his mother will happen to anyone else. He was no longer naive and thought realistically about how he wanted to contribute to society.

Everything he experienced led up to today, one of the worst of his life, aside from the death of his mother. He was sitting on his desk at Aldera Junior High when the teacher came in holding a stack of papers.

"So... as third-year students it's time to start thinking seriously about your futures and what you want to do with your lives. I could pass out some career aptitude tests, but why bother? I know you all want to be heroes!," the teacher threw the papers into the air as he said this while the students cheered, throwing their quirks in the air.

'How idiotic of him, ignoring his duties because he assumes everyone wants to be a hero. What if someone wanted to do something different or was unable to be a hero,' these were Izuku's thoughts as he lazily put his head on his desk, waiting for class to be over.

After the class calmed down the teacher spoke again,"Yes yes, you,ve got some impressive quirks, but no power usage allowed in school. Get a hold of yourselves—," the teacher was interrupted by Katsuki, who had his feet kicked up on the desk.

"Hey teach, don't lump me in with this bunch of losers. I'm the real deal but these guys will be lucky to end up as sidekicks to some busted D-lister!," Bakugo started throwing insults like it was the most natural thing in the world, getting everyone else angry at his attitude.

'There he goes again, I can't believe he wants to be a hero with that attitude. He sounds more like a villain and acts like one too," Izuku thinks just as someone in the class decides to voice their thoughts.

"You think you are better than us Katsuki?!," the random kid yelled. This got him even more riled up, "Let's go I'll take you all on!," as he yelled this the teacher seemed to be looking at his clipboard.

"Let's see Katsuki Bakugo, you got some impressive test results. Maybe you will get into UA High," as the teacher says this the anger in their eyes makes way for gasps of surprise. " He's gonna try for the national school?! That school has a 0.2% acceptance rate! It's impossible to get into!," there was disbelief on many faces as they voiced their thoughts aloud.

"And that's exactly why it is the only place worthy of me! I aced all of the mock tests, I'm the only one at this school who stands a chance of getting in! I'll end up more popular than All Might himself and be the richest hero of all time! People all across the world will know who I am and it all starts with UA High!," as Bakugo inflated his ego to unbelievable heights, the teacher remembered something.

"Oh yeah, Midoriya don't you want to go to UA too," him saying this made Izuku's face go white as he saw the pride on his former friend's face morph into anger. 'Why did he have to say that,' as Izuku thought this, the students started laughing and pointing, mocking him for his goal.

"Midoriya, your kidding right? There's no way he's getting into the hero course without a quirk," this random comment made Izuku irritated and he retorted, "Well actually they got rid of that rule a while ago, but even so who said it was the hero course I was trying to get into? I'm aiming for the support course, I'm going to build things for heroes and people, saving lives with my gadgets ," as he said this, Bakugo who seemed about to come over to him, began to calm down. The rest of the class went by in a pretty mundane fashion.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the city a certain incident was causing quite the commotion. An ugly green sludge monster was seen rushing out of a convenience store, money trapped in it's slime. A worker came running outside yelling, "Thief, somebody stop that monster!" 

The villain was seen snickering as he ran, "Yell all you want, but this cash is mine!" He kept running away, causing chaos as he went, but no one tried to stop him. A group of bystanders began commenting on the incident.

"Where are the heroes, they aren't usually this late. Could it have something to do with the incident earlier today concerning that giant villain?," a man asked as he watched the villain escaping. Another man followed up on that comment,"Remember when we didn't have to worry about random with quirks all the time? Seriously, it's like there's no end to them."

As they are conversing, they don't notice a man that looked like a skeleton behind them coming out of a shop with two bags in his hands wearing a t-shirt that looked way too big for him. Steam emitted from his body as it began to grow, getting more and more muscular by the second. His shirt now fit him quite snugly as he replied," There is an end, you know why? Because I am here!"

Gasps awe and surprise came from the mouths of the bystanders as they turned and saw him and his familiar wide and beaming smile, though the villain panics upon seeing him.

Meanwhile back at school, class had just ended and people were getting ready to go and hang out with their friends. Izuku had just finished up with his hero analysis notebook and was about to put it back in his bookbag when it was snatched out of his hand by Katsuki.

"Don't lie to me Deku, if you weren't going to the hero course then you wouldn't keep a journal on them. Don't tell me your taking notes on how to be one," Bakugo said this as smoke emanated from the hand carrying the journal.

His goons laughed up a storm as they ridiculed him,"Oh that's so pathetic, he's delusional!" Izuku's eye twitches,"It's called a hobby Bakugo, you should try it sometime. But no, you're too busy beating on people weaker than you."

Izuku was no longer the kid who would sit by and let people pick on him. After his mom died, he grew a bit of a temper himself and wouldn't let people push him around without getting a few licks in. Needless to say Katsuki was fuming as a little explosion blew off on the notebook and he threw it out the window.

He then punched Izuku, using his explosions to propel him against the wall, although he was still holding back to not injure him badly. "So little Deku finally grew a pair, huh? That won't help you in UA. I'm going to be the only one from this trashy school to get into UA. People will then realize I'm the real deal, the next big thing. That's not ego talking, I just know I'm that good," as he said this, everyone that heard him thought the opposite, Bakugo was the definition of an inflated ego.

"Here's a little word of advice, don't even think of applying to UA," Bakugo started walking out the door but stopped and turned to face Izuku at the doorway, a smirk on his. "If you really want to be a hero though, there is a way. Take a jump off this roof and pray that you're born with a quirk in your next life," everyone's eyes widened at what just came out of his mouth.

Izuku stood there for minutes after Katsuki had left, processing what he had said. 'I know Katsuki is a bully, but I never thought he'd actually say something like that,' he thought this as he got up anger consuming him as he made his way towards his journal that was thrown out the window.

 'What if had actually done something like that. This isn't something an aspiring hero should say,' as he was thinking he made it to his journal which had landed in a fountain.

'Thank God it landed in this fountain,' he noticed that the water in the fountain had stopped the journal from completely burning up. As he opened his bookbag to put the journal away, he didn't notice a spider that had managed to crawl up his shoe and into his pant leg. It was a bright shiny green color, so much so that it looked like a jewel. Bits of silver were mixed into it's abdomen.

Getting up, Izuku decided he would take the long way home, intending to visit his old apartment complex. After a while he came to the underpass of a bridge and started walking under it, still not noticing the spider that had now reached his right wrist. He was nearing the middle of the underpass when he felt a sharp, stinging pain on his hand and he immediately swatted at it and examined his hand and what had bit him. 

'I have never seen such a pretty spider. I do hope it's not venomous though,' as he thought this he failed to notice a nasty green sludge rising from the sewer until it wrapped around him, covering his nose and mouth. He heard a voice speaking and it sent chills down his spine,"You'll make a perfect skin suit for me to hide in kid!"

At the words that were spoken by the villain, Izuku struggled trying to pull the sludge from his mouth to no avail. It felt gross and sticky, he started to panic as his vision started to blur. 'Am I going to die. I don't want to, I didn't have a chance to help anyone or fulfill my dream yet,' tears brimmed in his eyes as he struggled to get free. Then he heard a loud voice yell,"TEXAS SMASH!"

A strong gust of wind followed this shout, blowing the villain off Izuku's body as his vision returned. He looked at his savior and his eyes went wide as he saw the person he looked up to the most. With a muscular frame, a wide beaming smile and hair that stuck up onto both sides like a pair of bunny ears, the number one hero, All Might was in front of Izuku.

"Its you, you're All Might!," he said with glee showing all over his face. All might smiled at the boy,"Well it looks like you are doing alright. I'm sorry about getting you caught up in my hero work, I'm usually more attentive than this. But it turns out this city's sewer system is difficult to navigate," All Might laughs boisterously as Izuku looks on in awe.

"Anyway thank you, you were a big help. I've caught the evildoer," as all might said this he showed a bottle that he had somehow already filled with green sludge. Izuku was in full-on geek mode at this moment. 'All Might is standing right in front of me, in the flesh! Calm down Izuku this is a chance, I can see what his answer is to the question I've had in my head. Even if I'm disappointed by the answer it's nothing new, I'm just curious about what he'll say,' he decided to ask the question that was on his mind since he was diagnosed as quirkless.

"All Might, I know you're busy and all but do you have time to answer one question? It's been bothering me for awhile," as Izuku said this All Might immediately turned to him with the same smile plastered on his face.

"Go ahead young man, ask away but make it quick," he said as he still had a bit of time. "For as long as I can remember, I have been ridiculed because I am quirkless and I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the kind of person who can smile and tell people everything is going to be ok even in the face of danger, but I have been denied time and time again. Can you become a hero without a quirk?," he was visibly shaking as he said this so it obviously bothered him more than he let on.

All Might stayed still for a while before answering,"There was someone I knew who was similar to you but with a powerful quirk. He could beat anyone and no one was his match, until someone was. He had his respiratory system damaged beyond repair and had to give up being a hero. This job isn't easy, pro heroes are always having to risk their lives. So, can you be a hero? Not without a quirk."

Izuku instead of sulking, took in everything the hero was saying. "I see," he mumbled under his breath. "If you want to help people there are plenty of other ways to do it, you can become a police officer. They get crap because the heroes catch most of the villains, but it's a fine profession. Now with that done, I'm sorry but I gotta go," as he said this he crouched down and took a giant leap, soaring into the air until he disappeared.

Izuku swore up and down he was okay on the way back to the orphanage as he no longer wanted to go to his apartment, but he was far from it. Still reeling from the words spoken by his idol and sweating like a pig for apparently no reason whatsoever, he was barely able to stay on his feet by the tim he got to the orphanage. As he passed by his fellow orphans and various staff, no one seemed to care about his plight.

When he walked into his room he had just enough time to walk to his bed before falling unconscious on top of his bed.

12