Chapter 10 – Then Whose streets, are they??
777 6 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3rd POV 

In the middle of 59th street as busy New Yorkers move about their day a child can be seen disrupting the crowded street. All to used to the familiar sight, people moved past the child without sparing a glance. It was a staple of any major children to have orphaned children roaming the streets looking for places to beg.  

As Makenzie continued to walk around New York while sorting through his thoughts he decided to take a minute and observe the people around him. As he watched countless people move quickly through the streets all trying their best to live their lives, his gaze stopped on a family of five sitting outside an ice cream parlor enjoying their time together. 

 Standing on the street and watching them Makenzie gives a sad smile as the family starts to get up and prepare to continue their day in the big apple. He followed the family with his eyes as they got up and left, moving towards their next destination. ‘One mistake doesn’t determine my life. If I let this keep me down, then I’ll not only be giving in to my failures, but I’ll also be responsible for the people who died because I chose not to save them.’ Watching the family walk away, Makenzie let go of his distracting thoughts and chose to face his actions head on and to strive to save as many lives as possible in the future. 

Concluding his thoughts Makenzie felt as if an invisible weight had been lifted from his shoulders and he started to run in the direction of a park near 59th Street. With a decision finally made he wanted to relax and enjoy the beauty of the world he lived in before he started working towards the future, he wanted for himself. Running along the street Makenzie slowed down as he panted heavily before stepping aside into an alley. 

 ‘Damn was the park always so far away?’ Questioning whether to keep going to the park or to stop now and turn back, Makenzie eventually shrugs and continues forward. ‘Since I already ran most of the way I’ll just walk the rest.’ However, just as Makenzie prepared to leave the alleyway, he stopped upon hearing what sounded like a muffled shriek from deeper within the alley. Turning Makenzie started stepping deeper into the alley  

Scanning his surroundings Makenzie noted the decrepit state of the alley. Garbage was thrown about along with broken bottles of beer and Makenzie could hear the distinct scuttling sound of pests in search of food. Stepping away from the trash littering the ground into a semi clean area, Makenzie tried to focus his hearing searching for the voice he had just heard. Listening for any movement in the alley while leaning on the wall Makenzie stood there for 2 minutes with no luck. ‘Must have been my imagination.’ Shaking his head Makenzie turned around and gave up on going to the park, his previous enthusiasm nowhere to be found.  

However, just as Makenzie was about to leave the alley, he heard muffled grunts and a scream coming from behind him. Turning around Makenzie rushed deeper into the alley before spotting a group of three men dragging a little girl further into an alley connected to his own. The little girl who was being restrained in a sudden show of ferocity bit down hard on the hand of the man covering her mouth.  

“Argh. You little bitch.” Cursing the man yanked the girl by her hair causing her to cry out in pain.  

“OWW. Stop it, it hurts, IT HURTS. MOMMY HELP ME HELP.” Listening to her screams the men started to laugh as they surrounded her and worked together to stop her screaming and fighting.  

“HAHAH. Yell all you want. No one's coming to save you. HAHA” Watching from a distance Makenzie focused on the crying child and the laughing men and he felt as if a burning pit was being formed in his stomach. Watching as this scum laughed and abused a little girl for their own enjoyment Makenzie felt his resolve become firmer than ever. 

 He WOULD be a hero. To make up for his past mistakes and to take charge of his future. He would guide this world into the future. A better future. One where the world wouldn’t have to fear alien invasions. And one where little children didn’t need to worry about being dragged into alleys when they wandered off on their own. He would fix...no he would heal this world and bring it to its full potential. 

Seeing a van pull into the alley and the back door being opened by another thug, Makenzie closed his eyes and reached deep within himself, releasing his anger and will to exterminate these low lives he awaited a response. He doesn’t have to wait long as instantly in response to his rage he feels Reaper trying to connect with him. However, Makenzie ignores Reapers call and instead focuses more on his will to enact justice on the criminals of the world. 

 His dedication to becoming a never-ending embodiment of justice. Almost as quickly as Reaper a new response comes to Makenzie. Smiling upon confirmation of who responded to his call Makenzie opens his mouth and quietly speaks “Solider 76.” White smoke starts to surround Makenzie and soon he can feel his body changing. His arms becoming stronger, his muscles becoming leaner and more durable. Strategies and memories flooded into his head. Closing his eyes and basking in the sensation brought by the rush of power, Makenzie opens his eyes now standing 6’1 and scans the alley once again only to marvel at the experience.  

Before, where Makenzie could only tell the smallest of details, it now felt like a new world of information was appearing in his mind. His brain could track and play out scenarios for how each broken beer bottle was thrown and where previously he could only hear the pests scuttling around, he could now easily see them moving around. As he basked in the wonderful feeling Makenzie was drawn to attention when he heard the reeving of an engine.  

Remembering his task, Makenzie looked towards the van and saw it starting to drive off into the city. Instead of shotting it with the pulse rifle strapped to his back Makenzie decided to put his new body to the test. Crouching down into a runner's sprint Makenzie waited until the car turned onto the road before he kicked off rapidly accelerating till, he was easily outpacing surrounding traffic. Following the van, it didn’t take long for the would-be kidnappers to notice Makenzie following them.  

With his new senses Makenzie could see the look of shock and fear on the driver's face as he rapidly approached them. Stepping hard on the gas petal the driver shot off into the street without care for incoming traffic. Picking up speed so he could keep up, Makenzie nimbly weaved through traffic, never losing sight of his target. The van driver tried to shake him off with constant sharp turns, but Makenzie’s new body took all the challenges thrown at it with ease. Finished testing and adjusting to his empowered body Makenzie with a sudden burst of speed sped past the van taking out two of its tires using nails he grabbed off the ground as he went before grabbing the front of the van and holding it in place while it decelerated. 

Horrified by the inhuman strength being displayed, the driver fumbled with the glove box before taking out his pistol and trying to shoot Makenzie through the window shield. Focusing his new senses to the limit Makenzie shifted his neck using his enhanced perception in order to predict and dodge the bullets shot at him. Leaving a trench in the ground as he was pushed backwards the van finally came to a full stop. Letting go of his grip on the front of the car, Makenzie shuffled to the driver's side door while avoiding the bullets the driver shot.  

As Makenzie was about to punch a hole through the driver's side window the back of the car opened and the three thugs from earlier climbed out before starting to shoot wildly at Makenzie. Acting quickly, Makenzie stopped dodging the driver's shots, getting grazed in the left shoulder as he punched through the window and slammed his fist into the driver's face. Grabbing the gun from his unconscious body Makenzie turned and whipped the gun towards the head of the thug standing in the middle of the three. 

 Shocked by the quick fall of their friend the two thugs stopped shooting for a moment, giving Makenzie enough time to get in front of them. Before either of the two thugs could even react, Makenzie had grabbed their heads and knocked them together causing both to fall to the ground unconscious. As he was reaching towards one of the thugs' pistols a shout distracted him. 

 “DON’T MOVE!” Looking up, Makenzie saw the final thug emerging from the car with a gun pointed towards the little girl's head. 

 “Back up.” Seeing Makenzie not moving the thug shouted,  

“BACK THE FUCK UP OR I’LL BLOW THE KIDS HEAD OFF.” Dragging his hand away from the gun Makenzie rose back to his full height and quickly took three steps back. Seeing Makenzie move away from him gave the thug confidence as he smiled viciously. 

 “HAHAH. Not so tough now are you freak. If you don’t want the kid to get hurt, don’t move.” Pointing his gun away from the girl towards Makenzie, the thug didn’t even get time to react before a rock as fast as a bullet collided with his hand holding the gun. 

 {Crack} “AHHH” Screaming in pain the thug let go of his gun and the little girl. Moving quickly before the thug could hit the ground, Makenzie was in front of him and grabbed him by his head before slamming him into the car door repeatedly.  
“These. Aren’t. Your. Streets. Anymore!” Makenzie loudly declared as he brutalized the thug. (AN: Had to do it) 

Satisfied, Makenzie released the thug and turned towards the little girl. Crouching down to be eye level with her Makenzie asked as gently as possible  
“Are you alright?” The girl quickly nodded her head and Makenzie stood back up. Hearing sirens in the distance Makenzie quickly gathered all the thugs into one spot before taking weapons. 

 “You don’t need to be afraid anymore. Soon the police will be here, and they’ll take you to your family.” Looking around at the massive crowd that had formed, Makenzie quickly took off into an alley off to the side before he climbed the wall and got onto the roof so he could move faster. Running quickly through the city and taking rapid turns Makenzie, after ensuring he hadn’t been followed, dropped back into the alley where he had originally transformed. Making sure he was alone Makenzie closed his eyes and white smoke once again covered his body and soon he was back to normal.  
{GRUMBLE} “Augh.” Feeling the unbearable pain from his stomach Makenzie is reminded that he hasn’t eaten anything since breakfast. Quickly entering the bakery, he went to this morning Makenzie spent all the money on him in order to fill his stomach. Ensuring that this time he would get something more filling than just plain bread. Thanking the cashier for their help, Makenzie made his way home.  

As he walked Makenzie thought back on his actions and realized they were extremely impulsive. ‘Right after my dad's death not one but two new enhanced show up. On top of that both have shown clear aggression towards gangs and criminals. This is bad, even with my power awakened I won’t be able to handle an organization like HYDRA anytime soon. Especially if they start going after Aunt Diana and the others.’  
Realizing the implications his actions could have Makenzie madly started looking for solutions. ‘Okay wait. If I continue showing more characters and interact with SHIELD under the guise that Overwatch has somehow ended up on an alternate reality of earth. No that won’t work, the explanation itself is fine but as long as Makenzie Walker exists it is too much of a coincidence for that story to work. Besides how would I prove them wrong? So far only one member of Overwatch can be seen at a time.’  

‘And I can’t just take everyone with me and keep them in some underground base to protect them. Aunt Diana might be fine, but I’d have no way of explaining why I had so many people stuck in one place not allowed to leave. I’d get strung up as a villain. Hmmm, I could fake my death and then use the transmigration story. But still how would I make the death seem natural.’ 

 Thinking hard, Makenzie suddenly remembered the actions he had taken before becoming Solider 76. ‘Okay that could work let's put everything together. Yesterday Dan Walker killed in a “accident”. The same night a new enhanced showed up in New York and killed nearly 300 people. After attacking a police officer who was partners with Dan Walker.’ 

‘The next day Makenzie, who was still living in the same house due to strings the attacked police officer pulled is extremely depressed and goes out into the city. While out in the city another enhanced shows up and stops an attempted kidnapping. Soon after Makenzie returns home. The next morning, due to the house not being safe, a fire is started, and Makenzie dies in the flames while in another part of the city a breach is opened, and someone steps out before letting loose the name Jack Morrison. Okay that should work...but Aunt Diana.’ 

Thinking of Diana Makenzie hesitates, if he goes through with this not only will he not be able to see her again anytime soon, but he will also put her through even more grief. {Grinding} Gritting his teeth Makenzie firmed his resolve to do whatever it takes to protect everyone as he entered his house. ‘Now then how to make explosives that won’t leave any evidence.’ Thinking of explosives Makenzie smiles as the perfect person for the job appears in his mind. “Alright then let's get started. Junkrat!” 
 
Author’s Note 
Just a few things I wanted to clarify first when switching into a hero the process I describe in my writing is only there to articulate the idea of what Makenzie's transformation is. But the process is instant, and I don’t have any plans to add a switch cooldown or anything like that. Secondly, saying the names of characters and meditating prior to transformation (when he was turning into soldier). Both of these are temporary, they’ll only be around till Makenzie gets a basic feel for his powers. Right now, he is just starting to form a connection with his power and by visualizing who he’s turning into as well as calling out their name it makes it easier for him. 
Finally, I wanted to ask for your opinion on one of Mercy’s abilities, resurrection. I’m going to keep some elements of how it worked in the game, but others won’t work in the real world. For example, I am going to keep the time limit on how long it takes mercy to resurrect people. Right now, I’m leaning to about 30 second period. Let me know what you think would be the best time limit, just keep in mind that mercy will still have her angel wings on top of a peak human physique so a lot can happen in 30 seconds.  

But besides the time limit I’m struggling with the other aspects. In the game anybody can be resurrected but in real life if that’s the case her ability becomes Op for example. Can she resurrect someone who doesn’t have a head. What about someone who died of blood loss wouldn’t resurrecting him be pointless if he just died from lack of blood again. Let me know your thoughts on how I should work around her ability and if you have any other interesting abilities for OW characters whether they be game based or not feel free to comment them as well. Thank you! 

28