Chapter 14 – My newborn is making me feel dumb
651 4 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3rd POV 

Waking up after sleeping for 10 hours Makenzie groaned at the familiar sores that assaulted his body as he got out of his bed. What he isn’t used to is the killer headache he was experiencing  

“Well on the bright side at least this confirms it. My mental power also affects the strength of my transformations.” Trying to look on the bright side as he shuffled to the side where a makeshift bathroom consisting of a busted water pipe he had restructured to connect with a local restaurant and a shelf holding various medicines he had stolen along with his daily necessities. Popping open a bottle of aspirin he took out three pills and popped them into his mouth before swallowing. Quickly finishing the rest of his morning routine Makenzie turned around only to be stunned by a small life-like statue of Reaper that was resting on his work bench on the opposite side of his bunker.  

The statue looked oddly out of place amongst the scraps of metal and half-finished products surrounding it but that wasn’t what caught Makenzie’s attention. The statue was giving off a weird black glow that seemed to draw Makenzie in like a black hole. Taking a step closer Makenzie doesn’t know what came over him but he slowly raised his right hand, so it was directly in front of the statue. {silence} Embarrassed at nothing happening Makenzie was about to remove his hand when a mask similar to Reapers appeared on the back of his hand.  

As if in response to the mark’s appearance the statue in front of Makenzie started to glow even brighter illuminating the room in a dark light as smoke started to billow out of the statue. Stepping back as the smoke spread out Makenzie watched as the smoke coalesced forming the figure of Reaper. Standing there frozen in shock Makenzie watched as Reaper slowly raised his head and observed his surroundings before locking on to Makenzie. Unnerved by Reapers silent stare Makenzie forced himself to calm down and warily spoke  

“Umm Hi?” Not receiving any response Makenzie spoke again “uhh Can you talk?”  

“Yes.” Reapers dark raspy tone caught Makenzie off guard causing him to jump slightly. Taking deep breaths to calm his heart rate Makenzie started to ask more questions 

 “Do you know where you are?” 

 “Yes.”  

“Do you know how you got here?” 

“No.” 

“What’s the last thing you remember?” 

“Darkness.” 

“Darkness? Explain.” 

“I was floating wrapped in darkness. Unable to move or think. Then I saw a light and heard a call telling me to reach for the light. Next thing I knew I was here.” 

“Do you have any memories before that?” 

“No.” 

“Do you know how to use your abilities?” 

“Yes. The voice told me I was being bestowed a gift from my predecessor and suddenly I had experience with my powers. But no memory.” 

“Did the light tell you anything else?” 

“It shared with me information about where I was going. It also told me about you.” 

“Me?” 

“Yes, it told me that I was created from your powers. It told me my purpose was to serve you in any manner you see fit?” 

“Uhh. And how do you feel about those orders?” 

Tilting his head slightly in response to his question, Reaper spoke in a confused tone. “Feel? I’m sorry I don’t quite understand what you mean. But it only makes sense for me to obey you. After all you are my creator.” 

A shiver ran down Makenzie’s spine when he heard Reaper speak with such reverence in his voice. ‘What the hell. So, the statue turned into a what... Reset version of Reaper just with all his abilities kept.’ Sighing to himself, Makenzie for the first time found himself wishing that his ability followed the common transmigration troupe so he could have a system explaining what the hell was happening in front of him.  

He’d even make do with a Loli system at this point if he could understand why Reaper was currently looking at him like a lost puppy. ‘Huh hold on why can I even tell that.’ Glancing towards the masked Reaper Makenzie focused his senses and suddenly felt his world view shift. Ignoring the dizziness from the sudden perception change Makenzie looked forward and sure enough there his body was in all its bruised and battered glory. Looking at himself, covered from head to toe in purple and black from all the activities he has been performing, Makenzie mentally pushed forward the urgency for a super serum for his main body. He didn’t need to transform into mercy to tell that his body was in horrible condition. At this rate he might even lose the ability to transform simply because he won’t have the strength to withstand the transformation.  

Closing his eyes and focusing Makenzie opened his own eyes and felt a pang in his head as his headache returned stronger than before. Holding onto the wall he was about to start walking to get more aspirin when the bottle was handed to him. With surprise covering his face he looked at Reaper.  

“How?” Understanding his question Reaper looked at Makenzie before answering in an equally confused tone  

“I don’t know. My body just moved to grab it.” Taking note of the occurrence, Makenzie opened the bottle before swallowing three more aspirin to get rid of his headache. ‘Yeah, I need to work on this right away. Everything else comes second.’  

“Do you have common sense?” Makenzie asked Reaper.  

“Yes.” 

“If I were to tell you to go out and stop criminals, what would you do?”  

“I would permanently cripple those who are beyond saving while knocking out the rest to allow them to fall into police custody.” 

“Umm good. Okay then I want you to go out tonight and attack criminals. Only attack those who you are certain can be killed. Also make sure to collect anything valuable they have on them. Anything metal or electronic. Make sure to remove anything that can be used as a tracker from the tech before bringing it back. If you can't break it and bring me the pieces.” Giving instructions to Reaper, Makenzie turned around and transformed into Sombra as he sat down at his handmade computer and started to get to work on finishing Mercy’s identity. Reaper stood silently by his side watching his actions. If Makenzie had been paying attention, he would have noticed that Reaper’s way of standing had changed. Before he was standing rigidly as if not used to being able to move his body, now he was standing with a relaxed posture with his arms hanging at his side.  

… 

 

(7 hours later) 

Letting out an exhausted sigh Makenzie leaned back onto his chair and cancelled his transformation. ‘Finally done. Now I just need to send an application to Oscorp and wait for their response.’ Taking a glance at the digital clock on the wall reading 8pm Makenzie only now realized how long he had been working. {Rumble}{Rumble}{Rumble} Listening to the cruses his stomach was hurling at him for being such a dumdass Makenzie sighed and slowly stood up. Turning around, he prepared to leave but nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw Reaper behind him holding a happy meal. 

 “What the fuck!!” Screaming, Makenzie fell back on his chair trying to stop himself from having a heart attack. “Don’t just stand behind me silently like that. I thought you said you had common sense.” 

“Yes, I do. Is it not common sense for a creation to always be ready to help his creator?” 

Swallowing his next words Makenzie decided to let the subject drop before focusing on the happy meal in Reaper’s hands {Rumble}{Grumble} “Where did you get this?” 

“From a store with a big yellow M on it.” 

“Mcdonalds?” 

“Yes.” 

“How did you think of that?” 

“Normal humans and especially Teenagers should eat at least 3 meals a day to ensure their health. I didn’t dare to interrupt you while you were working so I went out to look for food when I saw a child with a happy smile on its face holding a happy meal. Later I found a building with the same logo that was on the bag and went inside to get you food.” 

Face palming at Reapers response it took Makenzie a minute to digest what Reaper had just said. “Wait you what?! You went into the restaurant!!?” 

“Yes.” 

 “Don’t yes me. And hold on how did that even happen? Why did they serve you their first reaction should have been to call the police?  

The video of Makenzie escaping the police station had gone viral forcing the police to make a statement on the attack. Makenzie had watched it right away after he sat down, and he saw the photo that the police put of his appearance. So, there’s no way anyone in New York could be so ignorant as to not inform the police when seeing Reaper’s figure.  

“Hmmm?? I just did this.” In shock Makenzie watched as Reapers body slowly converged and where there used to be smoke now, he could see only well-defined muscle. The cloak was retracted for camo pants and a tight-fitting chest piece with a shorter cloak without a hood flowing down his back. Topped with a com link in his ear all in all he looked like the Solider: 24 skin from Overwatch.  

(AN: The skins only change appearance, nothing else.) 

 Gaping at Reaper, Makenzie barely registered the happy meal being shoved into his arms before Reaper stopped moving and quietly waited for orders, now back to his original appearance. It took Makenzie a couple minutes to understand what had just happened before he transformed into Solider 76 and then immediately his appearance shifted to that of strike commander Morrison. Dropping his transformation after realizing the shift had only been in his appearance, Makenzie leaned back on the chair and started to eat while mentally chastising himself for not trying something so important. Even if the change was only in his appearance Makenzie’s ability to hide in plain sight while transformed just increased significantly. 

 {Bite} “ow fuck.” Cursing, Makenzie held his bitten hand and tried to quickly shake the pain away. While cradling his hand to his chest Makenzie looked up at Reaper  

“In 10 minutes, I want you to go out and start hunting criminals. Make sure you stay in your original form whenever you are attacking. It’s fine to use your other forms to move around but always attack in this form.” Watching as Reaper nodded Makenzie stood up and slowly made his way towards his bed plopping down on it, he gave Reaper one last instruction before falling asleep. “Also, pick me up something for breakfast on your way back.”  

As Makenzie fell asleep Reaper, who had been standing by the stairs turned around and walked beside Makenzie before crouching down and staring at him. His masked face stared at the sleeping Makenzie before he slowly stretched out his arm as if afraid of waking Makenzie. His hand landed on Makenzie’s forehead silently and Reaper moved his gloved hand around Makenzie’s face making sure not to cut him with the sharp edges of his gloves. Frowning in his sleep at the constant disturbance Makenzie's body rolled over facing away from Reaper.  

Watching Makenzie’s back for a while longer, Reaper stood up to go hunting. Making his way towards the staircase he took one last look behind him at Makenzie’s sleeping form before he started to move up the stairs. Exiting out of the shop Reaper took a breath of fresh air while listening to the screams that surrounded him. Reaper stood like that for a few minutes. Silently taking in the depressing atmosphere that covered Hell’s Kitchen’s nightlife.  

Finally, Reaper’s body moved. There was no hesitation in his movements. He would accomplish his creator's task for him no matter what. Anything that got in his way would suffer the consequences.  

27