Chapter 11 – A second one great just great!
693 4 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sitting on the roof of a house 2 kilometers away from his home Makenzie who was currently invisible as Sombra watched silently as the firefighters arrived at his house before another explosion rocked the house causing it to crumble in on itself. ‘And with that Makenzie Walker is dead.’ Sighing slightly to himself Makenzie stood up and took out his phone, which as of now was off the grid and started to tap away at the screen with his fingers. 

 Using Sombra’s hacking skills was an incredible experience for Makenzie. His fingers danced across the screen and without even having to code what he wanted the screen seemed to react based on his thoughts alone. Finished with his actions Makenzie double checked everything to make sure there would be no mistakes and then took out a switch from his back pocket. Holding the switch in his hand Makenzie looked back down at his phone which is showing the image of an abandoned warehouse 10 kilometers East of where he is currently. Pressing the button Makenzie leaned on the chimney next to him and prepared to watch the show. 

3rd POV (the warehouse) 

In the abandoned warehouse moments after Makenzie pressed the switch a swirling portal appeared in the air near the back entrance of the warehouse. (AN: Cisco’s portals from the Flash) From the portal a figure fell and landed silently on the ground. Slowly standing up to reach its full height the figure revealed itself as a cyborg, covered in grey armor with a green stream of energy flowing underneath the outside plating. The figure stood quietly while his green visor moved, scanning the warehouse.  

Finding nothing but old trash and worn-out clothing the figure raised its hand to its ear. “Morrison can you hear me? This is Genji. I seem to have been teleported to some kind of warehouse. Morrison? Are you there? Respond.” receiving no answer the figure stood still for a while debating his options before looking up towards the ceiling of the warehouse. Crouching slightly the figure turned into a blur as they shot towards the ceiling without making any sound and disappeared. 

3rd POV (Makenzie) 

Watching as the hard-light copy of Genji disappeared out of the warehouse Makenzie took a deep breath to calm his nerves before jumping down from the roof. Landing on the street he made his way towards Hell’s Kitchen and thought over his future plans. ‘First things first, I need to find a place to stay. Preferably somewhere that would allow me to build a makeshift lab.’  

Now with the knowledge of the Overwatch characters Makenzie has dozens of different enhancement serums and other devices he can make. He only needs the proper equipment to get started. Thankfully he’s already come up with a plan on how to get it. Strolling down the streets of Hell’s Kitchen while remaining invisible Makenzie spent the rest of the night looking for possible places to stay. 

 After looking throughout the night, Makenzie settled on an abandoned tailor shop near the Hudson River on the West end of Hell’s Kitchen. He chose this shop as most of the windows were still intact and the building was currently empty of homeless people, but the most important reason was that the shop had a spacious basement under it that was clearly meant to be a bunker.  

It had concrete walls and a separate electrical grid from the rest of the store and had multiple areas where food and water could be preserved. Unfortunately, the generator, food, and the water had all been taken by the homeless and gangsters who previously raided the store. Looking at the door leading into the bunker Makenzie was annoyed to see that whoever broke into the bunker had totaled the door and Makenzie would need to make a new one.  

Hard-Light technology, while extremely adaptable, has an extremely heavy energy tool and Makenzie's stunt at the warehouse had all but drained the generator he gained when turning into Symmetra. Seeing as the generator could absorb solar energy Makenzie had strapped it to the roof of the building. It was surrounded by cameras and motion sensors; he had stolen from a closed electronics store 3 blocks away from where he is now. The owner had a history of assualt charges on minors, but none had ever stuck due to lack of evidence. 

 For tonight Makenzie would just have to make do sleeping with one eye open on the ground before grabbing more essentials tomorrow. The good news is with Torbjörn it would take no time at all to build metal appliances like doors and other components. The only problem is finding materials. There are only so many materials Makenzie will be able to find by scavenging, therefore he’ll need to start work as a vigilante soon in order to steal supplies legally...kind of. Emptying his mind, Makenzie turned into Solider, grabbed the front desk and placed it in front of the bunker entrance before letting go of his transformation and going to sleep. 

1st POV (Phil Coulson) 

Pulling into the NYPD Police station I stepped out of my car and prepared to confront Captain George Stacy about the enhanced that appeared yesterday. I sighed a little when thinking about George, he was a stubborn man who had little regard for authority. It would be hard to get anything out of him, but I’d received information on the way here that the police station was attacked yesterday and given their lack of action so far against this new enhanced it's safe to assume they were hiding something. As Rumlow and I stepped up to the police station I turned to him and gave him a quick rundown on how to act.  

“Try not to act out of line in front of the captain he’s got a rep for kicking feds out of his office. We're here only to find out why the enhanced would bother to attack the station, nothing else. So just tolerate his actions for the duration of the mission.” Watching him nod his head I turned back around and walked into the police station. Moving towards the front counter I thanked my stars that a newbie was at the desk. 

 “Agent Davidson of the FBI along with Agent Resond, we’re here to speak with your captain about the terrorist attack that occurred last night.” Watching the newbie grow nervous in his seat as I pulled out my badge made me relieved if it was one of the veteran officers, they wouldn’t have cared much for the badge. They had stayed around Geroge enough to pick up his disregard for authority.  

“P..Please go ahead.” Stuttering over his words the newbie left them to their own devices and ran off elsewhere. 

Tracking the newbie as he ran off with my eyes, I found it odd that George would leave someone with so little experience on desk duty after such a major attack occurred. I suppose he must be allocating all his forces into finding the enhanced, but still it was weirdly out of character for George to behave so recklessly. Walking down the familiar hallway I made my way to George’s office and knocked before entering. I could see the scowl that came onto George’s face as he watched us enter and sighed inwardly, hoping this conversation would provide us with at least something to work with. 

 “Coulson the fuck you doing in my office? Who let you guys into the department?” Chuckling mirthlessly at his unchanging attitude I decided it was better to get straight to the point  

“What can I say I have a way with people. George, we’re here about the attack that happened yesterday. SHIELD believes the person responsible is an enhanced and we’d appreciate the full cooperation of the NYPD in finding the culprit.” Snorting at my initial comment George went silent afterwards, which was again out of character for George. Deciding to continue the conversation instead of waiting for his response I thought over how to word my sentence before speaking again. 

 “We were informed that yesterday at approximately 9:30pm your department experienced a blackout due to the destruction of your electrical box by an unknown person(s) or tool. We have also been informed of a senior member of your staff who was reportedly the only person hurt during the attack. We’d like to speak with the victim if possible. If not, we will NEED to see the electrical box.”  

Studying George’s face as he spoke, I expected him to look like a pissed off cat but instead he was weirdly calm. Something definitely happened during or after the attack on the station. 

 “Sigh fine” Standing up from his desk George grabbed his vest from behind them and led them out of his office towards the infirmary located near the back of the building. 

 “The box you're referring to is in forensics right now. They are looking for material or DNA left behind by the assailant. As for John...” Pausing slightly, George took a deep breath before continuing.  

“He’s in the infirmary. He was the purpose of the attack. When we found him, he had three fingers broken and we’ve also found markings on his neck. As of right now he’s been refusing to talk about why he was the target, but we’ve already gathered everything we need to make a conclusive guess.” 

 “Oh. Impressive work captain. So, what do you believe he did.” George’s scowl became even more pronounced as he again took a deep breath to calm his nerves before speaking. “We believe his actions led to the death of his partner Dan Walker. We’ve found evidence in his phone and office that suggests he was taking bribes from the Russian gang. Dan had been investigating the Russian syndicate for half a year prior and I guess they didn’t like having him snooping around. Yesterday he died in an “accidental” fire in his home.”  

Ah that explains why he’s so upset. I’d heard stories of SHIELD agents whose missions were compromised due to their partner betraying or abandoning the mission and they all wore similar expressions to George when talking about it. However, that’s none of our business. Were only here for the enhanced the NYPD can handle their own affairs. After hearing George speak, I’m pretty much certain why the enhanced came to the station, so there wasn’t any need to speak with John any longer. 

 “Captain, there’s no need to speak with your officer. If you’d please just take us directly to the forensics lab instead.” 

 “That’s where I’m taking you. No way in hell you were gonna interrogate my officer.” Smiling at the return of George’s usual grumpy attitude I waited patiently as we walked into the forensics lab and George went to retrieve the box.  

“Sir is there really a need to look at the box? Unless there an idiot there shouldn’t be any evidence to gather from it.” Rumlow asked quietly from where he stood to my left. 

 “There’s always a need to check especially with new enhanced/Mutants. Even if they’re trained once you receive a power up like that most become sloppy. Overconfident in their new abilities, they don’t see the need to be careful anymore. So, it’s always important to check.” I told the young agent beside me. Rumlow was exceptionally talented and from what I’ve heard it seems they want him as the leader of the STRIKE team. But he hasn’t had much experience in the field dealing with enhanced or Mutants. That’s most likely why he’s on this mission with me. Pierce probably wants to use this chance to give him the necessary experience to put him in charge of the STRIKE team without having to worry about pushback. 

In recent years Pierce has been promoting his direct subordinates rapidly throughout the organization and sometimes I regret agreeing to work under Director Fury. He is a slave driver who doesn’t give holidays or raises but always expects you to give it your all. But well, I guess an environment like that suits me best anyways. I joined SHIELD so I could protect the world like Captain America. If I had gotten caught up in raises, promotions and paid vacations my ideals would have weakened overtime. Instead, now they feel just as strong as when I joined.  

Although it would be nice to get a vacation occasionally. Pulled from my thoughts by George’s return I looked at the box he was carrying. The box had three clean slices through the back, the smooth sides of the cut show that whatever did this wasn’t putting in much effort. Sigh, it looks like I’ll have to call Barton sooner than I planned. I won’t be able to deal with something like this if negotiations break down. Not that I wanted to negotiate in the first place with a terrorist that killed 200+ people in one night but SHIELD’s goals come first and if an enhanced or Mutant like this was willing to work with us, they would be able to do a lot of good for the world. Returning the box back to George, I prepared to leave gesturing to Rumlow to get ready before asking George a final question. “Is there anything else I need to know about before going out there?” 

 George held his chin for a minute and thought it over before replying “Hmmm. Well, there’s another enhanced that showed up earlier today as well.” 

 “Oh, okay thanks... WAIT WHAT?!” 

“Yesterday around noon a group of 5 kidnappers were arrested. But we weren’t the ones that found them. A man who ran upwards of 70km an hour and could dodge bullets was recorded chasing after the group before taking out their van with pure physical strength. Afterwards he quickly dealt with the goons and left the scene. The videos are viral. I’m surprised you didn’t know about it.” 

 Didn’t know about it. Hell, I didn’t even get anything from Fury about another enhanced, looking to my left Rumlow has the same expression I do. God damn it Director Fury left that hanging in the air so I wouldn’t ask for more personnel. Grumbling to myself, I gave a quick nod of appreciation towards George before quickly leaving the police station. I’m definitely taking a vacation once this is over. 

Authors Note: 

Regarding mercy’s ability I’ve decided that the revive will work within thirty seconds on all injuries except decapitation. However, if the target is missing a limb the limb needs to be within 30cm of the target or the target will come back without that limb attached. Not that it can’t be healed later they just won’t be immediately combat ready after revival.  

Also, regarding Makenzie’s ability I’m thinking about making it more than just switching into the Overwatch characters. I’m thinking of adding in the ability to summon the characters after a certain condition has been met. The condition will vary from hero to hero.  

The summons will NOT be a copy and paste of the originals instead I think having them be newborns knowledge wise with only instinct to go from for their abilities would be better. They would obey Makenzie since he’s their creator and Makenzie will have control over them so there won’t be any kind of betrayal, but they all will still have their own thoughts and if they believe taking a different action will achieve better results towards Makenzie's end goal they may take it. Let me know what you think of this idea.  

28