Chapter 36 – Preparations Complete
288 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1st POV Makenzie

Robbing rich people is really fun. 

Originally I didn’t plan on hitting anyone after Winston but once I got into his inner systems from his office I saw just how much money he really has and I realised that my theft really wouldn’t have any effect on anything. They were too prideful to cut employees with a reason like lack of funds and I’ve already given secret notices to various agencies about the theft.

If they aren’t careful the Feds will steamroll right over them. Besides Winston I hit Rand inc., AIM, and Kingpin. Those last two had worried me a little but after seeing the effects of Sombra’s hack on Winston I knew I’d be fine.

Hack might be the most broken ability I have to date, including Mercy’s resurrection. Unlike in the game where her hack only disables a characters ‘super’ abilities, Sombra's hack in real life does much more. Her hack is an ever evolving virus that can disable literally anything. 

If I bring her to her full power Sombra could technically be capable of hacking reality. I doubt I’ll be capable of pushing it to that height but even a fraction of that power will make things much easier.

For example, I had originally worried about how to deal with an out of control Hulk. Hack might be able to limit his superhuman strength but it’s temporary and the Hulk would continue to get stronger and eventually outgrow my hack. But now I know that instead of hitting his strength I can go deeper and attack the source of his power.

 I can temporarily get rid of the Hulk's ability to feel anger. Of course I’d run into the same problem of his returning rage eventually outpacing my hack but for that brief period Hulk would be forced into a state of calm giving Banner the time to take control again. Hopefully anyway.

Pushing my wayward thoughts about how I’d deal with each of the Avengers should I have to, I turn my attention back to the shelf which housed my unlocked characters. Sat there slowly forming was a Statue of Sombra, her signature character outfit from OW 2 almost fully formed. By my estimate I should be able to summon her tomorrow morning. 

I find humour in how weird and easy some of the activities for my characters can be. To unlock Genji I had to get into a mortal struggle with a sibling. For Mercy I had to deal with some injuries without thinking of personal gain. For Sombra? I just had to steal money from rich assholes. The disparity is huge and as far as I can tell completely random. Another quirk of my power I suppose. 

Once I can summon Sombra I’ll have enough people to finally branch out from New York. Don’t get me wrong there’s still a lot of work to do in this city. Stane, Kingpin, Tombstone, the Hand, etc. But I can’t let myself only focus on Canon issues. This is a real world not a movie and around the world millions of people are suffering unjustly. One day I want to be able to help all of them. 

Unrealistic I know “You can’t save everyone.” But that doesn’t mean I can ignore those who suffer. Nor does it mean I have to stop putting my all into helping everyone I can. With the full team of Overwatch alongside the many heroes of Marvel I believe I can make this world better beyond just stopping existential threats. 

And my current project is the first step. In the movies we see the effects each character's media perception has on how they are treated. Tony was seen as an arrogant playboy so people walked all over him behind his back. Once he put on the suit of armour that perception changed and so did how people see him. Instead of jealousy or lust people begin to look at him with respect and admiration. 

This change while glossed over in the films has huge importance in reality. With the people behind him Tony could walk out of a court hearing without consequence. He could build himself an army of robots and no one worried how he’d use them. If I want Overwatch to be successful I need to give them a firm foundation with the people, not just money.

Mercy’s takeover of Oscorp is only the first step. Once I make contact with various ‘specialists’ who can get me what I want I plan to lead the whole world into a revolution. But for that to happen I’ll need more money then I could ever get blackmailing rich bigots.

That’s where my project comes in. Using my 200 million dollars (and other future donations from my friends) I plan to build a company that will dominate the entertainment industry of the world.

 With my perfect memory I can remake any anime, TV show, movie, or song I know. Not only that but I know the names of hundreds of people who will become giants in their respective industries. The Weekend will start production in 2010, AOT 2019. I have the foreknowledge necessary to grab the best talents the world can offer. 

I’ve already begun to draw up my own search browser using code from the future. Once Sombra’s summoned I’ll be able to finish all these projects twice as quickly and get to producing content that will draw the populace to my company. 

To say that pretty soon I’ll be stepping on a lot of toes is an understatement. I’m going to propel myself to the top of an industry and knock aside any competition in my way.

It took me a long time to decide which industry I wanted to take over but I decided on entertainment for 2 reasons. One its plain, sure in my old world there were controversies but that was because the industry had been twisted and warped into something disgusting. With me at the forefront I won’t let anything like that happen. Two it's subtle. When watching movies or listening to songs everyone is different, some people just enjoy the sounds, others dive into the words the singer is saying, and some analyse the beat.

But at the end of the day they’ll all recall something from that song and if I’m careful I can control what that something is. It wouldn’t be something that would happen quickly but given enough time I can gradually use my company to get people to agree with my own ideals. 

Unfortunately, getting into movies and TV will be hard. Hollywood already has a monopoly over everything like that so it would normally take a long time to overcome them. I was planning on speaking to Xavier and getting him to support me by promising to use Mutant actors but even with his considerable backing I won’t be able to short cut my way to the top like I can in other industries. 

(AN: Just want to say I don’t know all that much about these industries. I did some research about when they were founded and net worth at the time when I wrote the chapter but other than that I’m kinda just saying whatever makes sense to me. Don’t think too hard about it.) 

Glancing at the time I notice it's about time for Genji to get back from his patrol. Me and Genji alternate between taking day and night shifts for patrolling. Of course I go out as Soldier so that SHIELD won’t become overly paranoid about all the Super people suddenly showing up. The week-long vacation I took at Mercy’s suggestion really helped me clear my head. 

Most of it was spent sleeping and slowly doing all the damage I did to my body by abusing my power. Mercy made me swear not to take any meds claiming that the Gene Serum would be enough for my body to recover from the damage I’d done just that I wasn’t giving it the chance. 

She was right too not that that surprises me but the serum was much better than I originally thought. The bruising was still visible on my body and I had to be careful how I distributed pressure when moving about but everything is hundreds of times better than it used to be. 

Walking into the bathroom to freshen up before leaving I pulled out my mobile (self made) and checked the feeds of Xavier’s house. Xavier really is stupidly optimistic. The whole estate and mansion are covered in camera’s and he barely has any type of anti-hack devices. There are at least 5 secret organisations watching the school constantly and those are the ones dumb enough not to cover their signal so I can trace it back to the source.

Thankfully, Xavier and the other teachers' mobile phones are much better protected, not enough to stop me but more than enough to keep out anyone else interested in what goes on in other areas of the house. Listening to Xavier as he not so subtly hints at his superhero team and how he wants Jessica’s help at the breakfast table I couldn’t stop a snort from escaping me while I brushed my teeth. 

Jessica’s reaction to the team was as bad as I was expecting. Jessica prided herself on being a realist and disliking companionship but she was soft inside. It’s why she couldn’t reject truly desperate clients in her show and why she won’t let herself be dragged into Xavier’s shit. (AN: Didn’t watch Jessica Jones)

He’d convince her eventually though, probably by having her monitor one of their missions. The X-Men have been active for a little over a year at this point but the team is really just Logan and Storm. The kids don’t yet know how to use their powers nor do they really understand the threats facing Mutantkind.

They still have the innate arrogance most Mutants have at being special compared to regular humans. Jessica knows intimately what that arrogance can lead to and it will serve to distract her further. Jessica doesn’t like to face her problems Xavier’s team presents the perfect distraction. 

Exiting the bathroom I watch Genji as he enters the room. It still makes me excited everytime I see him. I mean who wouldn’t get excited when they’re living with a badass cyborg ninja. Genji gave me a slight nod before he entered the bathroom after me. He could shower properly as it turns out his metallic body is made to allow him to wash himself as long as he’s careful.

Exiting my home as I transform I take a minute to enjoy the surreal feeling I always experience when my senses elevate to superhuman levels. Taking a deep breath I silently begin to move through the crowded streets allowing people to detect my presence as I speed through the city before jumping up onto the nearest roof and continuing my trip.

With most small-time gangs and criminals out of the picture these patrols are mostly for making sure that Fisk and the Hand know I’m still here. My mere presence intimidates them, it lets them know that whatever scheme they’re planning I will always be there to disrupt their plans.

Neither of them have made any direct moves against me most likely because they aren’t confident with the little knowledge there is available about me. But soon they won’t be able to allow me to roam freely. My presence piggybacking off the fear Reaper inspired in criminals is making organised crime in New York impossible. 

If they don’t make a move soon they’ll have to back out of the city entirely. Which is only really an option for Fisk. The Hand is running out of dragon bone and needs the entrance to Kung Lun that is in the city. It’s their move now and no matter which choice they make I’m prepared to end any conflict with the Hand or Fisk swiftly.

Once they’re out of the way the underworld will have a big enough power vacuum for me to introduce my own player, Doomfist. 

I’ve debated whether or not having a criminal organization under my command would be a good thing and after my break I’ve decided that it is a necessity. Wakanda’s isolation, the Avengers disunity, Xavier’s naviety, and SHEILD’s idiocy all of them need to go if Earth is to be ready for the numerous invasions we will face in the coming years.

Talon is the perfect group to force that change. Doomfist will force Wakanda out of hiding, Sombra will force SHIELD to face its corruption, Reaper will crush Xavier’s ideals, and together they’ll bring the Avengers together and turn them into a real team, instead of just numerous ego’s all constantly duking it out. 

But even with all these advantages I don’t know if I want to go through with that plan. The only way for any of these things to happen is if I make Talon a real threat. That means I’d have to kill innocent people, Xavier would call them sacrifices for the greater good but I’m not ready to sink to that level yet. 

“The lives of the many outweigh the lifes of the few.” It should be an easy decision. I know what's coming and I know how unprepared they will be without my help. Even still I won’t use that plan unless I find no other alternatives.

‘Tracer would have done it.’ A tratorous voice in the back of my mind spoke and it took a considerable amount of willpower to stop myself from agreeing mindlessly. That statement was wrong. The Tracer who’d lived through dozens of apocalypses would have taken this option without hesitation, in fact she did take this option. 

But as I’ve reflected on my admiration for Tracer I’ve come to realize everything I admire about her isn’t from the broken hero who made plans disregarding any consequences in favor of a better outcome. I admired the strong, brave, and brillant young hero who faced the apocalypse with a smile on her face even when she recognized a timeline as lost. 

The twisted hero she became at the end of her life isn’t who I want to be but the Marvel world is much more dangerous than the Overwatch world and I don’t know if I have enough power to follow Tracer’s ideals without following her path. But I will try my best and won’t allow myself to abandon the path I’ve chosen for myself. I will be the hero the Marvel Universe needs whether they want me to be or not.

20