Chapter 38 – Getting Closer
292 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

January 22nd 2006 3rd POV 

 

Releasing a sigh as he stood to his full height Makenzie double checked the unconscious HAND Ninja’s bonds, making sure she had no way of manoeuvring her body. Satisfied he stepped back and undid his transformation before making his way to the kitchen and beginning to make his lunch.

Opening his refrigerator Makenzie briefly considered his options before deciding to have a grilled cheese with as much lunch meat inside it as he could fit. Turning on his stove Makenzie took a moment to appreciate the vast improvements he’d made to his home over the course of the previous year. 

From the cramped humid single room he’d started with his home had evolved into a wide furnished main floor. The furnishing while simple were things Makenzie got after he finally decided that this wouldn’t be a temporary base but his HQ until he was ready to fully unveil OverWatch to the world.

Besides his main floor there was a gap in the floor at the far right of his home that led to his supercomputer. He had machines set up to constantly carve out more space as he and Sombra continued to update and improve its performance.

Torbjorn was definitely the Hero Makenzie wanted to unlock the most. The detailed schematics inside Torbjörn’s head for all kinds of marvellous machines would make Makenzie’s life infinitely easier. Unfortunately considering he’d yet to unlock him, Mackenzie believes he needs to create a sentient machine to unlock him.

Mackenzie didn’t expect anything he built to become some type of Skynet considering he’s already made the world's most advanced V.I but making a living mechanical creature is different. Not only would it be permanently in the real world but Makenzie would have to restrict it to his home, the masses have just really become aware of the supernatural world after Reaper and Soldiers fight.

If a robot were to suddenly appear in a major city Makenzie had no doubt it would be destroyed out of fear for what it ‘might’ be able to do. So until he could provide his creations with a world that would accept them - or at least not hunt them actively - Torbjörn would stay firmly out of his reach.

Flipping his sandwich over Makenzie took a moment to consider who he wanted to unlock next. He was going to resummon at some point within the next couple of days but he’s still trying to work out who he wants to be in this new reality and he doesn’t want to face Reaper again till he’s confident that he’s met Reaper’s expectations.

He needs another Hero who can act as a vigilante in the city, preferably someone with range who could avoid SHIELD’s radar for a little while. Mackenzie loved going out and helping people but he also knew that there were many more people who needed his help that he couldn’t reach right now.

 His time is better spent dedicated to increasing his budget and influence than stopping desperate people committing petty crimes. And lastly, he needed Doomfist; Makenzie had decided that no matter what decision he ultimately comes to regarding the need for a controlled constant threat to force the Avengers to improve, Wakanda couldn’t be allowed to stay hidden.

Doomfist is perfect for the role. He is the easy answer to all the annoying questions that hinder my actions now. How did he know of Wakanda? Why does he believe they need to come out into the open?

 A mad man from an alternate reality born in a city hidden from the world processing technology so far above the rest of the world yet they chose to selfishly keep it to themselves. Develops a disdain for his own people and their tribal customs, studies what made the modern world and reaches an insane conclusion. A perfect alibi. Doomfist would crush Wakanda under his heel and then walk away. Disappears as he begins to prepare the stage for his goal to be achieved. 

Finished making his lunch Makenzie turns off his stove and walks into the living/dining room and takes a seat at an old table he’d found at a nearby restaurant that was being closed down since Hell’s Kitchen was still a ghost town and they weren’t making enough to continue running. Mackenzie would have felt bad for the damage he was causing businesses like this if it wasn’t for the fact almost all of them were used to make drugs as well. 

Strapped to one of the support columns used to stop cave-ins is his current captive. Normally he would just kill her and be done with it but she still has her uses. Considering the HAND had assigned her to be the main assailant in their little assassination attempt she’s one of their higher level operatives. Or in other words she’s really fucking brainwashed.

Makenzie plans to use her as an experimental subject. In a universe as vast as Marvel there are hundreds of realities where the heroes become the villains, willingly or not and while immunity gear is important it’s just as important to know how to undo it. It makes him regret not leaving a few HYDRA agents alive so he could have started experimenting earlier.

He had a slight moral debate with himself on human experimentation but he’d ultimately reached the conclusion that the unfortunate people like the women in front of him weren’t really alive anymore. Stripped of anything but what was deemed essential, people like her have no chance of living a normal life. 

Even if the brainwashing is undone successfully the years upon years of being a mindless slave will leave irrepairable brain damage and endless amount of guilt that would drive most to suicide or homelessness. So Makenzie decided that he would sacrifice this woman so that he could in the future save more important people if he needed to.

Mackenzie wouldn’t justify what he was doing using the greater good. He’s perfectly aware that he was assigning value to human lifes right now but things like that just didn’t seem as important to him now. Mackenzie would never waver from his convictions and he’d work to save as many innocent people as he can but he also wasn’t going to be picky of his methods. No moral compass would stop him from protecting Earth and her people. 

 

1st POV Jessica Jones

Scratching at my hair I uncaringly tossed it over my shoulder allowing it to cascade onto the other side of my head as I went over all the information I had once again. Reaper appeared August 18 2005, he massacred the Russian gang before disappearing. The next morning he broke into the local police station and killed a cop and then fled the station without killing anyone else.

Why did he kill that cop specifically? What spurred him into action? Those two mysteries surrounded Reaper’s initial appearance. Knowing NYC like I do, the cop was probably dirty and working for the Russians. But why did he target them specially? I’ve investigated in the capacity I can while stuck in this mansion and I found a news report from earlier in the same day where the house of his partner Officer Walker was burned to the ground with him inside. The article mentioned his kid Makenzie Voldemort Walker -  Jessica snorted at the name - dying when the fire resparked later in the evening.

That same night Reaper destroys any person with any connection to their deaths. Coincidence? I think not! But what’s the connection? What about their deaths caused him to act? I don’t know but I intend to find out. Next, Reaper disappeared for 3 days before reappearing and beginning to systematically destroy all the criminal elements in the city. What happened within those three days? 

3 weeks after he began his massacre he killed Kilgrave and took me to help him deal with the Mutant criminal elements of the city. I’ve thought about why he chose to take me with him but none of my conclusions make any sense. He shouldn’t have had any way of knowing the full capacity of my abilities. Kilgrave kept a tight seal on them so that no one could prepare counters should they need to be dealt with.

Yet when Reaper arrived at that hotel he didn’t do anything to me. Barely fought back instead beelining for Kilgrave. Then he made it clear that I would be working for him from now on by threatening the only people I care about. People who he shouldn’t have known about. It didn’t add up, something was missing, but what? 

Temporarily ignoring the board filled with far too many questions with hardly any answers I turned to my left where a large map of the city is stapled to the wall covered in criss-crossing lines detailing Reaper’s movements. Knowing now that Reaper was being hunted during our time together makes our seemingly random movements look much more thought out.

My eyes bore into the map as I willed myself to find a pattern, anything that confirms Reaper knew we were being hunted. If I could just find a recurring theme amongst our movements that would be enough to support my conclusion. Reaper had been moving purposefully to avoid Morrison. Why? Didn’t he hate him? Weren’t they enemies? 

Pushing the hundreds of questions that bubbled up inside me to the back of my mind I focused again on the map. None of that mattered until I knew Reaper was aware beforehand. A knock on my door startled me out of my thoughts and I gave an annoyed huff as I made my way towards the door to my room.

  Charles really spoils these kids. I know some of them bunk together but even then these rooms are massive. Private washrooms, high speed internet, free game consoles, hell half of these kids dress better then she does. That’s ignoring how luxurious the facility is in and of itself. I already tossed all that useless garbage from my room so I could focus better but it was easily a couple thousand dollars.

Opening the door to my room I’m greeted by a stunning redhead with beautiful green eyes standing at about 5’6. Hmmm taking a closer look at her appearance I recognize her from the group of student’s on Xavier’s stupid X-team or whatever the fuck he called them.

Rolling my eyes I honestly questioned Xavier’s intelligence for a moment. Did he really think one of his brats could change my mind about helping train their little team? 

“I’m not here to convince you to help the team train. Honestly, I don’t understand why the professor insists you help Logan and Storm are more than enough to train us.” Yeah hell of a good that’s doing for you. You might as well go around with a pin detailing your powers on it. Ever heard of the element of surprise.

She had the decency to blush when I pointed out such an obvious fact she completely overlooked. Seriously what is Xavier doing trying to turn these kids into soldiers, mistakes as obvious as this will get people killed. 

“Excuse you bu…” 

“What do you want?” I cut her off by actually speaking aloud this time instead of in my mind like I normally do when having a private talk with Xaiver. Although they normally just consist of me cursing him out for not letting me leave the property. 

My bluntness must have caught her off guard as it took her a few seconds to recompose herself before she spoke once more. “The professor’s worried about how much you're obsessing over Reaper. He asked me to come over here and take you out of the mansion to distract you.”

I stood there for a minute blinking dumbly before it finally clicked. Xavier had finally gotten sick of me and this was his way of kicking me out. Finally, I’ve been purposefully acting like a drunk asshole since I got here - not that it's hard - and it seems Xavier has finally gotten sick of my antics and is kicking me out.

“The professor isn’t kicking you out. He just doesn’t want you to stay cooped up in your room all day obsessing over a dead man. It isn’t healthy. If you’d just let the professor look into your mind he could help you move past this obsession.” The girl's voice was tinged with annoyance as she spoke. Not that it surprised me most of these kids treated Xaiver like he was some kind of messiah for Mutantkind.

“Tell Xavier I have a better understanding of my mental state then he does no matter how many times he peeks into my head.” After I Finish, I turn around ready to get back to work when the girl surprises me by grabbing the door and preventing me from closing it. Raising an eyebrow I look at her questioningly.

“The professor asked me to help you and I’m not about to fail just because you're too cranky to leave your room.” Then she proceeded to strut into my room like she owned the place before taking a seat on my bed and looking at the massive wall of notes and questions on Reaper covering my room. 

A smirk played across my lips at her attitude and I decided I’d humour the girl if only to keep Xavier off my back about my mental health. Closing the door I walk back over to the city map and continue looking for patterns. I’d figure this out one day and when that day came I’d confront Reaper and learn what’s really going on.

16