Search Portal
557 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Sunny got busy with Production Studio work, Harris kept a close eye on the Rover Net and made sure the work started on schedule there.

"Hey, Benjamin! Why is your list already done?" Eero, one of the senior Finnish programmers asked the youngest and laziest programmer in the team.

Benjamin sleeps or just 'relaxes' and because he is the younger brother of another hard-working programmer, people generally ignore his behaviour.

"I am done! Hence Sleeping!" Benjamin replied and tried to go back to his dorm, but his ass was suddenly kicked out of the blue by Eero.

"Asshole! We all are dying here to finish the indexing and you have already done your task! Do you think I am a fool? My fingers are twisted like a broken twig because of constant manual typing work and you, asshole, you sleep the whole fucking day!" Eero started choking the life out of Benjamin (in good faith).

"Tap Out! Tap Out!" Benjamin started tapping the ground to admit defeat.

"I will go back. Okay. I will go back!" Benjamin admitted defeat and honestly went back to creating the index and listing the websites.

This was the most tedious and manually boring task because CODEX was built to provide search options and they have to do this manually and prepare a list of possible results.

Benjamin really hated this task and today he decided to find a better and smarter way of doing it. He started writing a bot, that would automate the process of visiting, and indexing, every link on every web page the bot comes across. He then decided to run the bot first on the small website list they have already indexed and check the performance.

Benjamin decided to hide his bot and launched it silently on January 15 1993.

On January 25, 10 days later, his bot actually ran out of things to visit. It had indexed 25,000 pages.

Benjamin was shocked and went crazy with happiness. He knew he had done something ... something truly amazing and showed his invention to the rest of the team.

"Amazing..."

"It's like ... so basic...why didn't I think of this!"

"I can't believe it! 25,000 Pages!"

"I think we will get another bonus!"

The team hurried together and shared different views. The four main leaders of the Rover Net - Kim, Teemu, Kati and Kari also went crazy with this new invention.

That day the team celebrated wildly. A little too wild considering someone called the cops because there were topless women dancing in front of the main gates!

---------------------

"What?" Sunny shouted after listening to the report from Harris.

"Yes Sir. But Police have been handled and there is no trouble with the employees!" Harris replied.

"Fuck Police! I am talking about this bot! They developed a bot that can automate the search thing!" Sunny questioned Harris.

"Yes... Yes... that's what they claim was the reason for partying!" Harris replied after confirming his notes.

"Fuck! Yes...Yes!" Sunny shouted so loudly that people thought he won some lottery or something. Surprisingly they were right.

Yeah, necessity is the mother of invention but what is the father of invention - Laziness!

A lazy guy solved his biggest hurdle and Sunny could not believe his luck!

"Harris find someone who can do the boring management task for us there and make sure the next time boys want to party, they get hookers and booze right inside their dorms. No need to make a scene and disturb the neighbours!" Sunny ordered seriously.

"Sir?" Harris thought he heard wrong but looking at Sunny who was drinking his favourite whiskey in joy, he knew Sunny exactly meant that.

Harris found it hard to wrap his head around the idea that there is a company where the boss wants a manager who can provide hookers to his employees!

However, considering Miss Alicia got the short roles in Need for Speed and is busy learning music, he really needed to find someone.

"Okay, Sir. I will look for someone. Someone from Hollywood then!" Harris replied and went to check for the possible agents that were recently fired from WMA or CAA. Only those people can do work and party and manage people at the same time.

The Search option, meanwhile, was silently updated on CODEX and now the team's main task was to find more websites for these bots to do the indexing. Thankfully, this was much easier and most of the time, a website would have multiple hyperlinks that allowed the bot to index those also in the process.

The growth of search engine finally picked the pace, and the boys finally had the closed door of creativity opened thanks to Benjamin, who won a bonus of 10,000 $ for his invention. The new search function was also listed as 'updated CODEX' on the NCSA site, under the title "What's New!"

This was the space where developers and programmers would list out their new internet creations and inventions and Sunny knew he must promote CODEX to gain the market before other search engines dominate this emerging field.

Benjamin became the head of the search engine team and he got to pick his own team of 10 coders who were handling the task of further optimisation of the search engine. Benjamin loved this new task.

Now, his job was to think of the laziest and simplest way of doing things online and he would push for automation in everything. The father of the search engine - Benjamin Järvinen, was on the path to becoming the laziest inventor in human history.

Benjamin was not only lucky, but he had a knack for discovering shortcuts. Besides, this new idea at the beginning of the year gave a big confidence boost to the entire team.

Sunny had to actually buy their own servers to make sure CODEX does not slow down or crash at the end of Jan 1993.

By February 1993, Rover Net filed another patent and this time, it was a search engine site-scoring algorithm. Sunny knew the importance of hyperlinks and he had forced the team to develop an algorithm to list the search results with the number and quality of their hyperlinks and thus find a "site quality".

Benjamin and Rover Net basically developed the first patent of hyperlink indexing that was three years earlier than history. Sadly, this also meant that the creator of Baidu, Robin Li in this life spent a lot more years developing his own algorithm.

Yes, this patent or algorithm was supposed to be Baidu's foundation, but Sunny unknowingly snatched that patent. Thankfully, Robin Li had more than one idea for developing algorithms and he still managed to design and develop Baidu later.

However, that is a different story for a different time.

8