Chapter 1: Home Early
1.5k 4 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1:

Home Early

If you told me I'd find myself in this situation, I'd call you crazy. Hell, anyone would. That is if anyone even would tell you this. Tell you that you'd be staring death in its face, and that death wore the face of your wife.

"Oh, hello dear," A sweet, silvery voice called out as if everything was just fine, "I didn't know you were going to be home today."

She smiled that beautiful smile. The one that made your knees weak, knowing it was a smile for you. A smile that could turn any gloomy day into the brightest, or for those like me who enjoyed those rainy, cloudy days, could make you feel warm and cozy.

Now, that bright smile was plastered with a brilliant crimson. Splashes of red along the left side of her cheek. I'd say it would complement the auburn in her ombre hair, but the red was too...vivid.

Her formfitting suit, made for business and dark as charcoal, stained maroon.

"How will that come out?" A thought that should have held no place in my mind.

I stood there, door ajar, staring. Her eyes were always mesmerizing. They reminded me of autumn. A beautiful orange mixed with a light brown. In this moment, I wished I could only look at them. Illuminated by the light in the hall, they seemed to glow.

Yet, I found my eyes drifting downwards. A man I once knew clung desperately to her skirt, yet wasn't moving. We weren't acquainted, and bathed in red as he was, I only knew who he was because I knew he was here. It's why I returned early.

"Is he..." My thoughts could barely keep up with the situation.

Even as I tried to form the thought of what I saw before me, it slipped away. She was saying something, but I couldn't hear her over the loud pounding sound. I realized the sound was coming from my heart. It was beating fast and hard. That's when the man moved. His hand clenching into her skirt.

"Tch, still alive?" Her voice sounded distant, "I'm trying to talk to my husband."

As if like swatting a fly, or squashing a bug, she grabbed his hand firmly. I heard his gurgled screams as a river of red spilled from his mouth. There was no emotion in her eyes save disgust. With a single twist, the snapping of bone could be heard. Lifting him up, his head lolled around weakly. He tried to look up at her, but barely managed.

Her free hand rose, and just as quickly was brought down. I heard the sickening snap as his neck gave way. His head hung loosely, his body dropped, squelching into the pool of his own blood. I felt my stomach begin to churn, doing my best to hold it down. Satisfied with her work, she seemed to glide over to me.

"Oh, my dear..." Tilting her head slightly, her face full of concern, "You weren't supposed to see this. Why are you home so early?"

Her hand reached up to touch my cheek gently. I could feel the wet, stickiness from her touch. Swallowing the small bit of bile in my mouth, my eyes slowly left the man. I met her eyes for a brief moment before shifting around. Eye contact was difficult for me. It always had been.

"I, uh," Piecing my thoughts together, I motioned towards the man awkwardly, "I heard another man entered this place, and, well..."

Her smile turned sympathetic, her hand becoming more tender on my cheek. Shadows danced across her sharp, yet youthful features. I wondered how one could look so beautiful, even plastered with blood as she was.

"Yes, he has made advances," She shrugged, but her eyes never left me, "But don't worry. I only have eyes for you."

Her words hit my heart, but I wasn't sure how to feel. Her face had been so cold when she looked at that man, the face of death. I could see no mercy in her eyes when I glanced at them. Gazing at her face and eyes now revealed only warmth.

"This isn't normal...is it?" It was a thought that should have been obvious.

This wasn't normal, but I found myself smiling slightly and giving two quick, small nods. I was happy at her words, but in this situation? My heart was still beating, but even her bloodied hand seemed to calm me down.

"Good," She gave a curt, satisfied nod, "Now then, come on in. I've gotten you dirty and we shouldn't just leave the door open."

"How...is she so calm?" It was a question I couldn't ask out loud.

She walked past me, letting her hand drop from my cheek. I could hear the door close and click behind me. The last light in the room disappearing with the closing of the door. Only darkness remained as my eyes attempted to adjust. As I waited, a hand touched my lower back. Jumping slightly, I realized it was her and just gave a weak smile.

"Can she even see that?" I berated myself.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to surprise you," Her voice in the dark felt like a hug, "Come, I'll guide you. We should get you cleaned up."

With her navigating me, we reached the bath in no time. With practiced motions, she undressed not only myself, but her as well. The bathroom was large, styled after the romans. A tub large enough for three sat in the center of the room, with a standing shower off in the corner.

Large windows looked out over a city at night. Trees and other plants grew among and along the buildings. Illuminated by neon signs and hologram advertising. New York City had long since been turned into an Eco-City. Converted many years ago like much of the rest of the world.

This high up, there was a no hover zone. Vehicles wouldn't fly this high, but below, the city was alive. Cars and hovercraft zoomed around. Distant sounds of the city could barely be heard. Even to this day, it was still the unsleeping city. .

My eyes turned from the gorgeous view of the city, to her. An even more stunning sight. Her body was well fit. Toned and curved in all the right places. Well taken care of, subtle, and yet with enough force to break a mans neck.

"No, she manhandled him," It was the only explanation.

He was from accounting. Some high-up manager. He was twice the size of her, though not in height, and definitely more muscular than me. She was completely unharmed. The water running over her body, every inch of her alluring.

Her body was like that out of fiction. Something you'd only ever seen online, but here she was in the flesh. Fair skin with warm undertones. Every movement confident and purposeful.

Glancing over her shoulder, that slight curve of her back twisting in just the right way got me flustered. The look in her eye was provocative. Even as the water turned red from the blood, something about it all screamed at me.

"Powerful," That was the word.

She was powerful, and in more ways than one. A six-foot three goddess in the flesh. I was convinced. What I wasn't convinced of is how, and why, someone like this chose me.

-----

26