Chapter 36: Colder than Ice
415 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 36:

Colder than Ice

With the holidays around the corner, we decided to return to where I call home. The Midwest in what used to be Minnesota. Though it still holds the name for the locals, it is collectively called the "Free Nations" with other states. Around the time of the Eco-Conversion a lot of land was given back to the natives.

That land encompassed The Midwest with the exception of the Eastern side of Michigan where Detroit was, the entirety of Ohio, and southern Illinois. In addition, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming were given back as well. This gave the United States two different maps. The original and one overlapping with the borders of the Free Nations.

The only stipulation was to remain part of the United States as a whole so as to not divide the nation entirely. To make sure that everything was upheld, a second presidential office was made. That of the Free Nations. A Native President was elected and has been that way ever since.

With two presidents, the United States flourished, but the transition, like most of the Eco-Conversion, was jarring and messy. It soon settled out, and now all was calm, but at the time there was great unrest. I grew up in the suburbs of the megatropolis that was the Twin Cities now. Each suburb now a district.

My family lived in one of the smaller districts. When we arrived, I felt relief at the familiar sights. This was where my life was until Cecelia took me away. Being back felt good, but strange. I was now seeing my home from a vantage I never thought possible.

The past few days I settled into just one of many penthouses that Cecelia owned. Cecelia and Yuriko kept me company. Snuggling by the fireplace, watching anime, and reading with hot chocolate next to us. Everything was good...at least for a while.

There was one thing that gave me anxiety. Something that wasn't going as well as I hoped. Julius sat across the table from me, eating his breakfast silently. Due to circumstances, we were placed together today. It was obvious he held no love for me as his sisters did.

"What can I expect? Some random guy of no rapport comes into their lives...I'd be suspicious too." Taking a bite of my eggs, the warm fluffiness mixed well with the melted cheese. "Of course, this situation is rather odd. I couldn't imagine if any of my siblings were so obsessed with someone..."

Glancing up, our eyes met and immediately I felt a shiver run through my body. A coldness that cut straight to my bones. His stern, stupidly handsome face was as frosty as ever.

"I guess there are people who like such a thing..." I recalled how popular he was at school due to his looks. I thought at first he was different when at school, but according to Yuriko he was always like this. Though I had my doubts on something she had said.

"Julius likes you," Yuriko laid on her back, her head hanging off the edge of the bed, "I've never seen him warm up to someone so quickly."

There was no way he liked me. That look he gives me was so cold I felt like I needed to bundle up anytime I was around him. Being in the same room always felt ten degrees cooler.

"Are you done?" Julius asked coolly.

Starting suddenly, I looked up to his frigid gaze. He stood from the table, looking down at me. Though he was younger than me, he was taller much like his sisters. His young face seemed chiseled from stone.

"Y-Yeah..." I nodded, looking down at my half-eaten eggs and one slice of bacon left.

"Finish eating," He ordered, pushing in his chair, "I'll be by the hovercar."

Turning before I could reply, he made his way out of the dining room. I was left alone with only my thoughts. Feeling a little dejected from him not liking me. It was difficult as he was family. I wanted Cecelia's family to like me.

"If this is his reaction...what about their mother?" It was a concern I had for a while. Ever since we got married, I heard nothing from her. We've received no notice, no message, nothing. Cecelia assured me everything was alright when I inquired, but I still worried.

My parents had sent their surprise, but love. My brother...he was doubtful of my marriage. He was married himself and worked hard to support his family. I, on the other hand, had found it difficult to work and ended up on disability. There was always a sourness between us, but one of love.

My sister, however, could care less about the family. I worried for my niece constantly, but I've heard nothing from them. "Perhaps...I should check in soon." I kept telling myself that, but always put it off.

Quickly finishing my food, I hurried out to Julius. I was surprised to see him wearing only a dark scarf around him and gloves. Besides that, he wore dark jeans and fleece jacket. Once again, I was hit with how stunning this family was.

He could be a model, and for all I knew he probably was. Meanwhile, there was me who was bundled up like some kind of marshmallow. I could only laugh to myself. His gaze looking me over made me even more aware of how I looked.

"...Did you eat?" He asked, "I don't want Cecelia or Yuriko mad at me if you didn't."

"A-Ah...yeah, I ate," I replied, feeling a bit dejected again, "Don't worry...they won't be mad at you."

There was a pause between us as I moved by him to the sleek black hovercar awaiting us on the platform.

"Let's go then," He made his way by me quickly, his longer gait making it easy for him to pass me by.

"...Yeah, let's go..." Sighing to myself, I got in and sat across from him.

-----

I hope you don't mind the worldbuilding I'm doing in some of these chapters. It doesn't hold much significance except to just add some background to the world as it is in this futuristic state. I also hope that the jump in locations isn't too jarring suddenly. Thank you for reading and your understanding. :)

9