Chapter 44: Pulling Through
345 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 44:

Pulling Through

"She's stable," Julius's words were a wave of relief over all of us.

My mother clung to my father who barely stood himself. They fell on the couch, holding each other. Even my brother lost his footing, Esmae easing him down next to her. Alana gripped me tightly, her eyes hopeful.

I felt a huge weight fall off of me. It had been a couple days since they began trying to save her. She had been teetering on the brink of life and death. In and out as her heart stopped several times. Her brain activity, thankfully, remained intact.

"C-Can I see her?" Alana's tiny voice cut through the room.

"You can, but..." Julius looked towards me, his ice-cold gaze seeming to be unsure.

"What is it?" I asked him directly.

"She's...not responsive at the moment," Julius admitted, leaning against the wall, "She was really badly hurt. The drugs in her system have been pumped out, and her heart has started again, but..."

"Is she in a coma?" I cut right to the chase.

Julius nodded, but Alana wasn't giving up.

"That's okay...I...Please, Uncle?" There was no way I could deny Alana when she gave me such puppy dog eyes.

"Now I know how Cecelia feels..." I looked towards my wife who gave me a sly smile, "Very well...If you want, I'll go with you."

Alana nodded, taking me by the hand as she pulled me along. It was just the two of us as everyone else gathered themselves in the other room. The door to Dolores's room seemed ominous. As we approached, it verified who we were and let us through.

The room was dimly lit, and the sound of medical equipment beeping could be heard. I held Alana back briefly.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked her quietly, worry in my voice.

"...Yeah," She nodded ever so slightly, "Please?"

Letting go, she led me into the room with her. My sister, her mother, was there. Laying in a hospital bed with bandages covering most of her body. Tubes went in and out of her, but she was alive. I had to steady myself, for it was even a shock to me.

You could barely see her face, but I knew it was her. This was my sister, Dolores. Looking down at Alana, I saw she was about to cry. She put on a brave face as she let go of my hand and made her way over to her mother.

"H-Hey mom..." Alana's voice was quiet, her hand trembling as she reached for her mother's bandaged hand, "I..."

She began to choke up, doing her best to take a breath. Making my way over to her, I placed my hand upon her shoulder in support. She was tense, but soon relaxed as she smiled appreciatively.

"Uncle is here, you know," She told her quietly, "We all are...I don't know what happened, but...I'm glad you made it through."

I listened carefully, quietly. This was Alana's time, and it seemed she had a lot pent up.

"I warned you about this," She continued, the sound of tears in her voice, "I told you it was a bad idea...that he didn't change. You know what he tried..."

She held her mother's hand firmly, but I could tell she was being careful.

"I love you mom, I really do," She was sobbing now, tears flowing freely down her face, "I hate you, but I love you. I don't want to lose you..."

The strings in my heart pulled at me. I understood her feelings well. Squeezing her shoulder firmly, I tried to comfort her the best I could. In response, she leaned back into me, giving me a tearful smile before looking back at her mom.

"I'm going to go stay with Uncle," She told her, swallowing her tears as best she could, "I'll probably withdraw for a bit, but...you need to pull through. I have to...I have a lot to say. To apologize for, but so do you. You can't leave just yet."

My heart ached at her words. Alana was so young but had been forced to mature faster than others. To be aware of the world. It was sad. She should be able to be a kid, but instead she had to think of life and death. She had to be aware of the darkness of the world.

"It's not fair..." I thought as I looked down at her. She was putting on such a brave face. She wasn't throwing a fit like a kid should but approached it with wisdom that came from hardships.

"Alana..." I called out to her softly, "It's alright, you can be mad...you're just a kid, you know."

"Heh, yeah..." Her words were melancholic, "I am upset, but at myself. At the situation. I can't..."

"You can't be upset at her?" I finished quietly, and she nodded, "I get it...Hey, Dolores. Your kid's waiting for you. So, you better pull through. Whatever happened to you...I'll get the gist of it, and they won't get away with it."

The last of my words held a bite to them. As I looked at Dolores, I knew more went down, and even I couldn't be upset anymore. Any anger I held towards Dolores vanished when I entered this room. There was only sadness and a burning desire for revenge.

"Uncle?" Alana questioned, looking up at me, "Are you okay?"

I felt her hand on my cheek, startling me as I looked at her. I realized my face had been rather tense. Placing my hand over hers, I nodded.

"Yeah, I'll be alright," I gave her my best smile, "We'll get those that did this. I promise."

"...Yeah," Alana nodded, but didn't understand what I meant, "The police should get them...."

"I can't tell her...She deserves to be a child for a little longer," Taking a breath, I agreed with her as she said some final words before we left the room. Letting Alana run to Yuriko, I pulled my brother aside. Heading outside, the air was crisp as we looked out over the city.

"George..." My tone was grave as I addressed him, "You said she was severely beaten, but...that's obvious."

"Yeah..." He gave me a wary eye, uncertainty in his voice, "She had really bad cuts, bruises, and other injuries."

"...What else?" I inquired quietly, "We have been here a couple days now, but...We never finished that conversation."

He paused for a second, shifting his weight a bit.

"What's this about?" He finally asked, "I've never seen you this...angry before."

"No?" I turned towards him, "They touched our sister. Our family, George. Does that not make you angry?"

Again, he paused for a moment. Taking me in. I was beyond angry. I was to the point where I felt calm, clear. I was not about to let this go, and the police won't do anything. They never did. Not for a case like this.

"Honestly, Alex?" George leaned against the railing, gazing out before him, his breath hanging in the air, "I'm furious."

"Then tell me," Walking over to him, my fear of heights kicked in, but I ignored it as I leaned next to him, "Do you know who did this? Was it actually Derek? What else did the doctors say?"

"...You won't like it," Looking towards me, he sighed as he saw the look on my face, "Very well. Our sister...she was used. A lot. There were severe signs of sexual abuse. Several teeth were broken, ribs, legs. In other words...she couldn't escape."

Closing my eyes, only the cold air of winter kept me cooled off. Taking a deep breath as the chill hit my lungs. With my suspicions confirmed, my path was set. I sent a message to Cecelia to meet us outside, and to bring Julius and Yuriko.

--On our way, dear.

--Thank you.

"I see..." My words calm, inside was a storm brewing, "So, Derek is our only lead..."

"Alex, the police-" George cautioned, but I cut him off.

"You and I both know they won't do anything," I looked him in the eyes, and I knew that he knew.

"...What can we do about it though?" He sounded defeated, slumping against the railing, "I don't even know where to start...."

"Don't worry about it," I placed a hand on his shoulder, "It's best you leave this to me."

"Alex?" Looking at me, he gave me a quizzical look, "You know...you've changed."

"Have I?" I gave a wry smile, "Maybe I have, but..."

"Your wife, who is she?" He asked suddenly, "I feel like I've seen her somewhere before."

"You saw the doctors, right?" I asked him back, "Plus...you work for her."

The doors to the outside opened, and out walked Cecelia and her siblings. They were stunning, even at this dour hour. My brothers seemed to recognize then. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath.

"Honestly, how did you even manage that?" There was an undertone of awe as his words came out softly, "No, I'm happy for you. Really, I am."

My brother was always one to keep a calm head under pressure, despite his earlier sourness towards me. It just goes to show how much everything got to him. Opening his eyes, he smiled. It was the most genuine smile I ever saw on his face. Pushing himself up, he placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"I don't even want to know what you plan," My brother spoke as if he already knew, "I'll leave you to talk, but...Make them pay. You don't mess with family."

His eyes held a steel to them, and in that moment my respect for him grew. Turning from me, he bowed his head to Cecelia and greeted her.

"Forgive me for not recognizing you before," He said, reverence in his voice, "Thank you for caring for my brother."

"Please, don't mention it," Cecelia wrapped her arms around me, kissing me on the cheek, "I should be the one grateful for him."

"I see," My brother smirked, giving me a certain look, "You have your hands full, brother."

"I guess I do," Laughing lightly, I watched as he turned to walk inside, "Stay warm, brother."

"I will!" He waved back at me, the door closing behind him.

-----

Alex is on the war path. Family is everything to them. Even as they fought, or the differences they had, he still loves his sister.

7