Chapter 57: Cross Country
338 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 57:

Cross Country

Alana was inseparable from me after a day of being back. I had one morning by myself where I talked with Sadia, and the next Alana was always nearby. I didn't mind, of course. I loved having her around, and it was something she needed.

"She's worried I'll disappear like her mother..." Smiling towards her, she was currently eating breakfast with Yuriko. Waffles, eggs, and a glass of milk. Blueberries and whipped cream piled on top of the waffles as she requested. I was happy to see her eating so heartily and without reservations.

Each bite she took was filled with gusto and enjoyment. Cecelia, as usual, had to head off to work. There were several things she still had to oversee with the purge of Euphoria. The early morning sun shone beautifully through the windows of the dining hall.

"Uncle..." Alana spoke up, "Do you...have plans for the day?"

"Hmm, only one," I thought for a moment, glancing towards Sadia, "But, if it's alright, you can come with."

"Of course," Sadia answered, taking a bite of her own poached eggs, "You are my employer. You do not have to ask me for permission."

"...Even so," I frowned, sighing as I looked towards Alana, "We are going to go pick up her daughter. Do you want to come along?"

Alana looked between the two of us, seeming a bit dejected. Looking towards Yuriko, Alana seemed to be asking for guidance. Yuriko, who propped her head up with both hands as she smiled without a care in the world, simply shrugged. Seemingly conflicted, Alana took another bite of her food before answer.

"Yeah..." Glancing up at Sadia, Alana seemed to be weighing something, "You said I could ask for anything, right, Uncle?"

"Of course," It was without question that I answered, "As long as it is something I'm capable of...and well, I guess I'm capable of anything now."

Looking towards Yuriko, I recalled just who I was. Alexander Ishikawa-Alden. Yuriko beamed at me knowingly, moving side to side happily.

"Yuriko will go with too," She stated, and that was that.

As breakfast finished, we all got into the hovercar and headed off to pick up Rosa. Alana clung to my left arm protectively, giving Sadia suspicious looks. "I guess she still isn't sure about her..." I smiled to myself, touched at her worry, but concerned they'd never get along.

Yuriko sat on my other side, lazily hung around my right arm. Sadia sat across from us, alone. I felt a bit bad at her isolation, but as I met her gaze, she simply smiled as if to tell me it was alright. "Am I that easy to read?"

Sadia's mother lived in a small district on the west coast, near California. After my kidnapping, Sadia had returned there until Cecelia found her. With transportation in the current age, it was easier to get over long distances easily. She left Rosa there while she traveled here for work.

Now, we would be heading there to pick her up. It would be the first time I ever went to the west coast, though we wouldn't stay long.

-----

It took a little over an hour to get from the Twin Cities to the terminal at the Ishikawa-Alden Corps headquarters in San Francisco. The ride was surprisingly comfortable, as we took a luxury hovercar instead of a regular one this time. Plenty of room to stand and even stretch your legs.

As we arrived, the entire place was in an uproar. With the hovercar being flagged and known as the Ishikawa-Alden's personal vehicle, the welcome committee was waiting. Men and women in prim and proper grey suits with white accents. Their pristine appearance a stark contrast to my own, which while well-kept, was not as professional as theirs.

Wearing sweatpants, tennis shoes, and a baggy sweater, I was a bit out of place. Alana, however, was in the same position as me as she wore Yuriko's clothes. She had not wanted to leave the house until I returned, and even then, she was terrified to leave. I couldn't blame her.

"Alana...stay close," I whispered, smiling down at her, "It's a bit overwhelming, isn't it?"

"Mhm," She nodded, pressing herself closer against me as we exited the vehicle.

The employees all bowed, greeting us.

"We welcome the Ishikawa-Alden Family!"

Their voices rose in unison, though I saw their secret looks. I was good at perceiving certain things, as I've had to be aware of body language ever since I was young. I may not always understand what it meant, but I saw it.

Yuriko strode ahead of us, leading the way in that carefree manner. Sweatpants, sneakers, a crop-top, and an oversized windbreaker. Smiling after her, I walked with my head held as high as I could. Sadia stayed close, watching over us like a hawk, her gaze passing over the employees.

"W-We weren't expecting you...?" A middle-aged man approached us with a young-looking woman in tow.

Yuriko came to a halt before him, her demeanor changing. Her carefree smile dimmed as her eyes took on a certain clarity.

"You know our biometrics," She told him, tilting her head, "Do you not believe them?"

"Yuriko? Is everything alright?" I asked, walking up beside her.

The man had short cut, dark hair slicked back. The sides were greying. His face looked like it was carved from stone. A strong jaw, his grey-green eyes passed over us behind spectacles that hung delicately on his nose. Fair skin, though sun kissed.

"Apologies, but our scans..." His gaze passed to me, scrutinizing, "I have not heard that Ms. Ishi-"

"Lewis," Yuriko's upbeat voice held a bit of ice to it, "Everyone has received a notice. My sister is married now. Your scans did not lie. Just what has the West Coast Division been up to that they deny the notices? Perhaps you have shirked your duties?"

"N-No, Ms. Ishi-" Lewis, which was apparently his name, stammered only to be cut off once more.

"Sir," The lady behind him interrupted, leaning down to whisper in his ear.

She wore a tight-fitting business suit, with dark brown hair tied tightly back in a high ponytail. Her tan skin seemed well taken care of. Eyes like the forest passed over us as she whispered to Lewis. As she did, his expression changed from concerned to straight fear.

"I-I see..." Lewis's gaze shifted downwards as he bowed before us, "I apologize...I have been out due to sickness the last couple of months. I only just now returned."

"I did hear about that..." Yuriko's eyes narrowed slightly at him before taking my arm in hers, "Just remember it from now on. Make sure to keep up on those memos."

"Of course, Miss Yuriko," Lewis bowed deeply.

"Please accept our humblest of apologies," The lady next to him, her voice light, yet professional, "It is my oversight that I did not inform him. We have been preoccupied with several other projects."

"I-It's alright," I finally spoke up, taking a deep breath, "I understand that one can become distracted. I'm not offended."

"Thank you, Mr. Ishikawa-Alden," Lewis smiled, much more relaxed now.

As the confusion was settled, we were able to leave without further incident.

-----

People don't read their memos...

5