Chapter 61: A Fated Meeting
288 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 61:

A Fated Meeting

Washing up, I waited for Alana to return with Padma. Yuriko and Sadia would be a while, as they had to not only wash their bodies, but change into clean clothes. As I waited, the door to the back door opened.

"Grandma! I'm back," A familiar, prim and proper voice called, "Grandma?"

"...Rosa," Smiling to myself, my heart grew anxious as I was alone. I was grateful, however, that she came in the back door. The front was still in a mess. I had done what Cecelia always asked me to, and called in some agents to clean it up. "They're still a couple minutes away..."

I watched the timer floating before me, along with a map of the route they were taking. Swiping it away, I looked towards the sound where Rosa was. Her footsteps getting closer.

"I'm in the bedroom!" Padma's voice called from another room, "Go to the sitting room! I'll be right out!"

"Okay!" Rosa's voice responded from beyond the door.

The door to the sitting room opened, and I was met face to face with Rosa. Our eyes locking on to each other as she stopped dead in her tracks. I was finally able to get a full look at her. The last time I saw her was in a dimly lit room, and her mother was half-blocking her.

"...Hey," I greeted her awkwardly, waving with two fingers.

She looked just like her mother, except younger. Her features were a bit softer, but I could tell she was her mother's daughter. Her eyes were hazel-green, unlike her mother's emerald green, but both were just as brilliant. Her dark hair was styled in a beautiful side braid that hung over her left side. She wore traditional clothing like her grandmother, but in more muted, dark brown colors.

"...You," Her eyes narrowed in on me, taking an instinctive step back, "What are you doing here?"

"Ah...well," Looking around, the atmosphere grew even more awkward, "I came here with your mother...she's, uhm...washing up now."

Cautiously, Rosa stepped into the room, but gave me a wide birth. Her eyes never left me as she made her way around the room. I was sat on a couch of flowered design. It was rather comfortable and could fit about three to four people, depending.

"My mother?" Rosa asked cautiously, "She's safe?"

"Of course," I nodded, trying to reassure her with a smile, "I mean no ill-will towards you or her. I promise."

"...So why are you here?" She asked again, not sitting down.

"Ah, well-" Before I could explain, I was grateful to hear the other door to the sitting room open.

Standing instinctively, I was met with Padma walking in.

"Rosa, what are you doing standing?" She questioned, "Sit, sit. You too, Alex."

"But Grandma-!" Rosa tried to protest, motioning towards me.

"No buts!" Padma waved her hand towards Rosa, "Don't be rude to our guests. Sit."

"Padma...Where's Alana?" I asked, not seeing my niece anywhere.

"Huh? She's right...Oh, that girl," Turning towards the open door, she laughed lightly to herself, "Alana, dear. Come on. There's nothing to be shy about. You look lovely."

Following her gaze, I watched as Alana cautiously made her way into the room. I was quickly stunned to see Alana wearing the traditional clothing that Padma wore. A deep blue saree, trimmed and embroidered with gold. The blouse and petticoats underneath matched well. It was a perfect fit for her.

"...I'm going to have to really watch out for people," I was overwhelmed by how cute my niece was. Even her hair had been braided by Padma into a similar style as Rosa, but hung over her right shoulder instead. A light pink to her cheeks, she smiled over at me.

"H-How does it look?" She asked quietly, "I feel like I'm wearing something I shouldn't...It's so nice."

"Nonsense!" Padma exclaimed, throwing her hands up, "Come, come! Well, Alex. Your niece asked you a question."

Padma presented Alana to me, proud of her work.

"It suits you quite well, Alana," I answered honestly, "Do you like it?"

"...Yeah," Alana answered quietly, smiling happily to herself.

"Of course!" Padma touted, "I have an eye for these things. They're going to have to fight the boys off of you! Wouldn't you say, Rosa?"

"I-I'm not interested in that..." Alana blushed, but there was a sadness in her eyes that hit me deeply.

"I don't blame her for not being interested...her mother never had the best track record." I felt the pain in my heart as I hoped Alana would be able to find happiness one day, at the very least. Even if she never found anyone, that would be fine as long as she was happy.

"Rosa?" Padma called, slightly annoyed, "What do you think? You haven't answered."

Looking towards Rosa, I immediately realized why she had not answered. Her face was completely dumbfounded as she stared at Alana. I knew that look anywhere, even someone like me wasn't that oblivious. "Well...unless it's aimed at me, but that...is love at first sight." Smiling to myself, I was amused at this development. "It seems Alana is already winning hearts..."

Catching my eye, Rosa immediately composed herself as she cleared her throat. For some reason, while I was definitely cautious, I wasn't too opposed. "At the very least...I hope they get along."

"I...uhm, yeah," She stated, nodding, "It suits her well."

"What's gotten into you, girl?" Padma asked Rosa as she saw Alana seated, "You've never been this out of it. Did the shrine visit go well?"

"...Yes, Grandma," Rosa nodded, averting her eyes from Alana.

"Good, good," Padma sat at the head of the table, looking among us, "Now...we just have to wait for that odd girl and my daughter."

------

Ah, young crushes. That aside, I need to edit the upcoming chapters, and once that is done they will also be released. Thanks for your patience and understanding. :)

4