Chapter 63: Hospitality
288 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 63:

Hospitality

Sat around the table, Padma served us all Chai Tea and some snacks. I sipped it slowly, savoring its gingerbread taste. It was honestly the first time I ever had it. I was glad to have been able to try it.

Sadia sat next to her daughter who seemed near attached to her. I was happy to see them close. It was obvious that Rosa had missed her mother. What was also obvious was the occasional glances over at Alana. For now, I kept my thoughts to myself.

"As long as she doesn't hurt Alana...Maybe they can start out as friends," I found myself comforted by that thought. It would be nice for Alana to have a good friend. "Perhaps I'm looking too much into it...she could just want to be Alana's friend, but I'm pretty sure of that look I saw."

Dismissing it for now, I focused on the task at hand.

"Mother..." Sadia called gravely, "Those men...What were they after? They said something about a relic of fathers."

Padma looked into her tea quietly, her brow furrowed.

"It's just an old story," Padma sighed, shaking her head, "It's a pendant your father had. It's been passed down in his family for generations. Made of the purest jade, it is said that it once belonged to the great Buddha himself."

"But...Didn't Buddha live in poverty?" Sadia asked.

"Yes," Padma nodded, smiling, "But that wasn't always the case. They say he was born into wealth, and had many things before he gave it up. The pendant is said to have been gifted to a follower of his. That follower is believed to be an ancestor of your fathers."

"Why do the Yakuza want it?" I asked, curious myself.

"I can only fathom," Padma shrugged, sighing, "They say it would bring their boss great respect. There's a war going on right now. Territorial disputes. The Yakuza and other gangs are very religious, unlike in the past. To hold something of the Buddhist Faith...I would assume it would pull people to their side."

"That does make sense..." Sadia nodded, thinking a moment, "But is this Jade Pendant really that important? The Yakuza don't even follow Buddhism."

"You know how it is, my child," Padma sighed, glancing over at a small shrine placed nearby, "The new faiths have overtaken the old. They don't care one way or the other which is which. What matters is the meaning behind it, and that pendant has meaning."

There was a silence that fell over us then. We talked no more on it for now, as Padma did not wish to spoil our appetites. She served us a meal of chicken tikka masala, which was absolutely delicious. Eating our fill, we found ourselves staying the night. Padma insisted.

--Cecelia, love. We've ended up staying over. We ran into some issues.

--I know, my love. Yuriko informed me. I'm on my way.

--Are you sure? I don't want to burden you.

--Alex, you are no burden. I know you wouldn't just be able to leave this be.

--......>_>

--Heh, Cat got your tongue?

--No, Yuriko is currently asleep. As is my arm.

--She always did have that habit. Adjust your arm, love. She'll quickly fall back asleep.

--But, you're right. I wouldn't. Is that okay?

--All you need is to say the word, and they will all be purged.

--Heh, thanks love. We'll discuss it when you're here...I miss you.

--I miss you too, my dear. Get some sleep, love. xoxo

Smiling to myself, I closed the messages to Cecelia. Yuriko curled up against me, my arm pinned underneath her. To my right, Alana slept soundly. She didn't want to leave our side, and so we all shared the same guest room. Sadia and Rosa shared Sadia's bedroom that Padma always kept ready and waiting. Before long, I was able to drift off to sleep myself.

-----

Morning came quicker than I expected. Breakfast was served, which was some kind of crepe-like sweet. It was delicious, and I was grateful for Padma making them. I received a text from Cecelia, mentioning that she had arrived last night, and was on her way this morning.

Waiting for Cecelia outside, Padma was sad to see us go. Approaching Sadia, she pulled from the folds of her clothes a small box.

"Sadia, my child..." Padma addressed her solemnly, "This is the pendant your father had. It is yours to take with you..."

"Mother, I can't take that," Sadia told her, attempting to dissuade her.

"You can, and you will," Padma insisted, opening the box, "It is to be handed down through the generations. We had no sons, and you are our only daughter. Therefore, it falls to you...and in turn, Rosa."

Pulling from the box was a leather cord, most likely replaced over the years, but well taken care of. Attached to it was a beautifully carved and pristine Jade pendant. Shaped into a circle with a hole in it, there were small carvings on its face. They looked intricate, but I couldn't tell from this far. "For something so important, it looks a bit normal, albeit beautifully made."

"It is humble, but do you know what it's meaning is?" Padma asked, smiling up at her daughter, "It means faith. Buddha is said to have given this to one of his followers as a show of good faith. For being by his side. It serves as a reminder to always remember where you come from, and to remind you to stay true to what you believe in. For your father...it was family."

Sadia smiled warmly, leaning down so her mother could place the pendant around her neck. Holding it in her hand, Sadia examined it carefully and fondly.

"I'll take good care of it," Sadia told her, to which her mother shook her head.

"Whatever happens to it, happens," She told her, "What matters is that you take care of yourself. Please."

"I will, mother," Sadia hugged her tightly.

As she finished saying her goodbyes, a hovercar flew overhead, landing in the road. I already felt the sense of relief. As the door opened, my wife, as beautiful as ever, stepped out.

-----

Cecelia has entered the stage! You can be sure things will get a bit...dicey now. I am in the middle of writing the other chapters, and will update once I am finished. ^_^ Thank you for enjoying the story and sticking around.

4