Chapter 74: A Family Dinner with a Side of Murder
282 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 74:

A Family Dinner with a Side of Murder

I introduced Sadia and Rosa to my parents as well. They greeted them kindly, with my mother doting on Rosa a little as she talked to both her and Alana. My mother was happy to see that Alana had made a friend.

Sadia watched over us, but though she was my attendant, she was also relaxing for the night. I wanted both her and her daughter to feel comfortable. I didn't know what I felt for them, but I knew I was attracted to Sadia. She was a beautiful woman, and a kind mother. Attractive in her own right with an intelligence and strength to match.

"I think it's the love she shows Rosa the most, however..." I smiled warmly as I watched Sadia fuss over Rosa, making sure her hair was just right. The bickered playfully, their smiles showing they loved each other.

Then, just as things were beginning to settle down, the doors opened once more to my brother and his family. George strode with Esmae at his side. He wore a prim and proper suit, his hair as always well-kept and swept back. His coat hung over his arm, he handed it off to the server when they asked, as did Esmae with hers.

She wore a beautiful, sleek dark green dress with lace sleeves. Her hair framing her face like a doll. A golden necklace hung around her neck. It was my brother's anniversary gift to her. She wore it almost all the time. A treasure in her eyes, she once told me. It wasn't the fanciest, and only plated in gold, but George had worked hard and given it from his heart.

"I once thought she was too good for my brother...but I'm happy they have each other," Smiling to greet them, they gave a warm smile and hug in return. My brother, however, was the first to reach me. His hug was tight, his mouth close to my ear.

"It's good to see you safe, Alex," He whispered, holding me dearly, "I was worried when I heard nothing..."

"Ah...Sorry about that," I apologized, patted him on the back as I returned the hug, "It's all taken care of. They won't harm anyone again."

"...Good," He said, releasing me as he smiled in relief, "Now then...John the Second...Say hi to your uncle."

Stepping to the side, George revealed my nephew, John the Second who looked around in awe at the surrounding area. His short blonde hair poking out from beneath his beanie cap. He wore casual, yet neat clothing. Just a t-shirt and jeans, but that was fine.

He was 10-years old, last I recalled. Four years younger than Alana. Looking towards me, his eyes took me in with a frown. "...I hate to say it, but Alana is right. He's a brat."

"Do I have to?" He asked, tutting his tongue.

"John..." George warned, his voice growing hard, "Behave."

"...Yes, Father," John sighed, nodding his head towards me, "Hey, Uncle."

"Hey, John," I smiled, attempting to reach for a hug.

Rolling his eyes, he came in for the hug, but it was quick as he pulled away. His eyes passing over everyone but lingering on Alana and Rosa.

"Is that Alana?" He asked, unsure, "She looks different...not dirty."

My eyebrow twitched as I resisted the urge to smack him. Luckily, I didn't have to as his mother was on the case. Esmae's hand came up so quick, even I flinched as it smacked him in the back of the head.

"John!" Esmae exclaimed, threatening, "We will bring you home."

Holding the back of his head, he apologized, but I could see in his eyes he wasn't sorry. "...How did he grow to be such a kid?" Shaking my head, I smiled my thanks to Esmae before turning to my brother.

"It's the first time I've seen you snap at him so quickly," I said as I showed them to their seats. They would be sitting across from us with Sadia and Rosa.

"...I've realized I've been too lenient," He said, dismissing the server about to pull Esmae's chair out as he did it himself, "It'll take work, but...I hope to break him of his snobbish attitude."

Looking towards John, he was staring out the window with wide eyes. His hands pressed to the glass. He had no manners, and even I who had trouble in social situations knew that what he was doing was impolite.

"You'll get there," I gave him a comforting pat on the back, and a nod to Esmae.

With everyone gathered, the dinner began. John finally sat between his parents, with Rosa between Esmae and her mother. George sat near our parents, and I sat between Alana and Cecelia, with Yuriko next to Alana.

Despite the rocky start with John, we were able to have a peaceful meal. He was only reprimanded a few times as he made crude jokes at Alana's expense. Asking her where her "dirty bear" was. The one I got her all those years ago. The only toy she ever had.

With my hand over hers reassuringly, she pushed through his jabs, much to his annoyance. Rosa gave him subtle death glares from around Esmae. He was lucky that Alana was across from her, so her attention was mostly drawn elsewhere. I felt like Rosa would have said something if not for that. "I'm glad my instincts were right...Rosa will be a good friend for her."

Rosa knew about Alana's past, or at least most of it. In the time that they've known each other, we've informed her of most things. She held a strong protective instinct over Alana, who was a very kind and sweet girl in Rosa's eyes. "She isn't wrong...Alana is a sweet girl. If anyone is going to be with her, or even be friends...then they had to be willing to do anything for her."

I laughed to myself as I realized that perhaps my standards were raised quite high, and the culprit was happily chewing her food next to me, her hand on my thigh underneath the table. "Cecelia....You've really changed my perspective. I have a long way to go, but...Thank you." Having to use the restroom, I excused myself. Giving her a soft kiss on the cheek before leaving.

-----

Finishing in the restroom, I was feeling very content. Leaving to head back, I was passing by a hallway when I overheard a conversation that piqued my interest.

"...Honestly," A man's voice complained, "Did you see how filthy they were? Wearing such basic clothing here?"

"I don't know, it's not our business," Another spoke up as I peeked around the corner.

There were four servers standing together, most likely on break. Three men and one woman.

"It's just disgusting," The first one spoke again, "Even if they dress up, they're still filth."

"Aren't you the same?" The woman asked, laughing as the other two joined in.

"Shut up!" The man who complained said, he had short dark hair and tan skin, "I worked my ass off to get where I am."

"Yet, you still dress like you're higher than you are," One of the other men teased.

"You're no better, I saw you looking at those girls," My blood grew cold as the man said this.

They were all young, maybe in their early twenties.

"Perverts," The woman shook her head.

"What? At least the girls are cute," One of the three men chimed up, "It's not like you weren't looking. I know you took a picture when the one in the white dress bent over."

"Ha, you know it," The woman produced the photo, projecting it for them to see.

My feeling of content disappeared. My face immediately went dead as I sent a message. As they joked around, insulting my family and flaunting Alana's picture, Cecelia arrived in short order. She understood immediately, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Go return," She smiled warmly, though her eyes held that look that made me weak in the knees, "I'll clean up the trash."

Taking a calming breath, I cupped her cheek affectionately, her eyes closing as she seemed to savor my touch. As they opened, the look of focus almost dropped me as my heart raced quickly. As she made her way past me, I couldn't help but watch. Her hips swaying, as if she knew I was looking. Sure enough, a smirk over her shoulder at me sent me blushing. "She definitely knows..."

Reaching behind her back to a bow tied to the back of her dress, she pulled from it a thin piece of cloth. A simple flick, and the entire thing straightened, hardening and thrumming to life.

"Good evening," Cecelia's voice called out, "I'm going to need your phone."

"W-What the fu-" They exclaimed, but their words cut off as Cecelia swung her blade.

Averting my eyes, but not before that familiar splash of red arced across the air, splattering the wall. Composing myself, the screams of horror were not my concern. They grew more distant, and soon silenced completely with each step I took and each soft whistle of Cecelia's blade.

I returned without incident, Yuriko smiling knowingly at me. "She's so perceptive..." Placing a loving hand on her shoulder, I kissed the top of her head. Smiling to everyone, I reseated, awaiting Cecelia's return. It didn't take long, and I was pleased to see her wiping her cheek carefully as she entered.

With a hand on my lower back, she leaned into my ear as she sat down.

"We'll not be dealing with trash anymore tonight," She said, kissing my cheek.

Smiling gratefully, I felt my anger subside. "Yes...they'd have to be willing to do anything for her." Patting Alana's hand, I asked if she was enjoying her food. With a brilliant smile, she nodded enthusiastically. "I will protect that smile."

Though I was still soft of heart, I'd let no one talk badly about those I love. Gripping Cecelia's hand, I held it affectionately. Staring lovingly up at her. As she locked eyes with me, a light blush came to her cheeks.

"...That's quite the look," She whispered, smiling back.

"Of course, I'm looking at you," I said smoothly.

The smirk appearing on her face told me I was in danger later, of which I looked forward to, but for now she returned to her food. The rest of the dinner uneventful.

-----

There's no end to the trash of the world...And to talk about it so blatantly in the open. No shame at all. It's all set for plot purposes, of course, but...who doesn't like to see their Yandere wife kill for them? Alex sure has embraced it, choosing to ignore certain things in lieu of keeping his sanity, but...what's sane, anyways? :P

4