Chapter 78: The Strength of a Bond
267 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 78:

The Strength of a Bond

Yuriko's eyes widened as I presented her and Cecelia the matching bracelets I had got for them. Immediately, she placed it upon her wrist, lifting her hand up as she examined it excitedly. Cecelia's smile was pleasant as she held hers tenderly. Her fingers lightly running over its surface.

"Thank you, dear," She said, "It's a lovely gift, and after you gave me this as well..."

Cecelia held the pendant out, holding it fondly between her fingers. I rarely ever saw her without it. "I'm glad she likes it...I'm glad they both do." Yuriko pounced on me playfully, her arms wrapping around me as she snuggled her face against mine.

"Yuriko likes!" Exclaiming happily, she made more happily noises as she totted back and forth while hugging me, examining the bracelet.

I could only smile uncontrollably as I was pleased. The only thing I had left to do was give Yuriko her necklace, but I wanted to give it at the right time. A time that felt right, like when I gave Cecelia her necklace. "I hope that time comes soon. I wonder what kind of smile she'll give me then?"

Tightening my own bracelet upon my wrist, I chose the left. A shimmer catching my eye. "Ah...I rarely think on it, as it became so normal." On my left ring finger was the ring Cecelia placed upon me on that autumn day so long ago. A band of platinum with three diamond shaped diamonds imbedded in a row.

My fingers found the surface of the ring, running along it. The gems didn't stand out, but almost ran flush with the surface. Only small bumps could be felt as I ran my fingers over them. "I really just put this on every day...never thinking twice about it."

I caught Cecelia's eye, and as I took her in my heart became overwhelmed. "I'm married to that woman..." There was a similar ring on her left hand. She followed my gaze, taking in my fidgeting with the ring. A warm, loving smile of understanding and affection spread over her face. If I was not already sitting, I would have fell from the weakness in my knees.

Averting my gaze, I found Alana watching me. Her calm gaze passing between me and Cecelia. She didn't say a word, but I swear I could see the corner of her lips curl upwards.

-----

Alana seemed to be much calmer after her outburst. I don't know what happened between Cecelia and Alana, but they seemed much closer than before. As I read my books, with Yuriko curled up beside me, they would be looking at something on a tablet. Every so often looking up at me, with Alana giggling and Cecelia smiling.

"I don't know if that's a good thing or not..." Shivering, Yuriko lifted her head towards me.

"Alex cold?" She asked, lifting her blanket up, "Share?"

Looking at her peaceful, hopeful face, I couldn't saw no. Throwing her blanket over the both of us, she snuggled even closer. Throwing one leg over mine, she held to me tightly. "This is...surprisingly comfortable." With her arms around me, I was perfectly content in my reading, though concerned about whatever Alana and Cecelia were planning over there.

This went on for the next several days. The small bit of animosity that had always been there just seemed to disappear. It wasn't that I wasn't happy they were finally getting along, but rather I was concerned with what that meant for me. "Those two...Cecelia was dangerous already, but if Alana is feeding her information...."

A chill went up my spine as I walked the halls several times in a day. There was something brewing, a wind that I couldn't quite catch. It wasn't until I woke up one morning and found myself alone in bed that I felt something was truly off.

The feeling of emptiness washed over me as I took in the silence. "I...Haven't felt like this in a while." Neither Yuriko nor Cecelia were anywhere to be found. No servant in sight, and no Sadia to be found. Rosa was nowhere, and even Alana had disappeared.

A panic was setting in when the entire place went dark. My breathing went heavy as my mind began to race. "W-What's going on?" Attempting to reach the wall, my hand found something not solid, but soft. A familiar giggle sounded.

"Y-Yuriko?" I asked, fear in my voice.

Soft, gently hands grabbed mine. They held a tenderness that washed the fear away. I was pulled in close, feeling a warmth against me. The feel of a body. A woman's body. The soft scent of lavender, and a hint of a sea breeze. It smelled clean, relaxing.

"Shh," It was Yuriko's voice, whispering in my ear, "I'll guide you..."

Her words were comforting as she spoke with a serene grace. As calm as an oasis. Leading me through the dark, I held tight to her hand. I had no idea what was going on, but I trust Yuriko. She was odd, but the most calming presence I've ever felt.

With my vision obscured, I let myself be guided. Taking in all my other senses. The soft sound of her bare feet on the marble floor. The light scent of drifting off her body. It was in that moment I realized...I trusted her. truly trusted her. Wherever she was taking me, I was sure to enjoy.

-----

Alex has a lot going on in his head. While he believes and trusts in those around him, he sometimes realizes just how much in moments like these.

6