Chapter 86: Consequences of Worry
285 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 86:

Consequences of Worry

Finally, we crested the hill where I last left everyone. There were bodies everywhere, the blood steeping into the ground. My eyes instantly found them. They were there, waiting. My eyes focused in on Alana. With Cecelia letting me go, I ran to her, my legs still heavy from my earlier actions.

"Alana!" I shouted, causing her to turn towards me.

She was resting against Scarlett, Sadia and Rosa nearby. An immense amount of guilt washed over me as she looked towards me, her tearstained face lighting up as she ran towards me.

"Uncle!" Embracing me, her hold was like iron, "Where the hell did you go? I was so scared, and...and..."

The tears began again as I held her to me. As I went to caress her hair, I noticed the blood on my hands...and the blood on her. "So much for keeping her from all of this..." My hand found purchase on her hair as I caressed her head as comfortingly as I could.

"I'm so sorry...I left you, and I..." I felt the tears well up in me as well, "I just ran...Cecelia was all alone, and I-"

"No!" Alana beat her fists against me, "That's not it! It's not that you left me..."

"Wh-What?" Confused, I looked around for any help.

All of them, including Cecelia, simply shook their heads in astonishment. "Did I...Miss something?"

"I was safe...but you!" She railed against me, her tiny fists actually finding purchase as I felt their heft through my clothing, "You left Sadia! You could have been hurt! What if you had gotten injured? Bled out? Died!?"

She screamed, tears streaming down her face. Finally, I understood. "Ah...I made her worry for me. I worried them all..."

"I'm sorry...I worried you," I whispered, holding her close, "I simply acted out of fear...I was worried myself. No matter how strong any of you are...it just takes one mistake, but that mistake could also take me from you..."

"I-If you know that..." Alana hiccupped, slamming a final, weaker fist against me before gripping onto my clothing tightly, "Then don't do something so stupid again...we take precautions. You act so impulsively...we know this...we...Please..."

"Ah...they're not wrong." Passing my eyes over everyone, they seemed all in agreement with what Alana said.

"I...can't promise I won't simply act," I answered honestly, "I care for you all...and if I see someone who needs help, I just..."

I found my words failing me, leaving it unsaid. They knew perfectly well what I do. Cecelia stepped forward, hand on Alana's head. Looking up at Cecelia, Alana smiled a grateful smile.

"That's why, my love," She said sweetly, "You leave it to us...We had this."

"So...you knew about this?" I felt my heart sink, "Why didn't you tell me?"

They all looked a bit sheepish, and I felt a little betrayed.

"Even you...Alana?" I asked, her eyes avoiding mine as she nodded guiltily, "Why? If I had known then-"

"You'd have worried endlessly," Cecelia answered, cutting my words off, "Or cancelled these plans. We wanted you to enjoy yourself, and even I didn't know for sure. Not until I got the call."

"You could have told me then!" I exclaimed, feeling slightly angry, "You're upset at me, but you..."

Taking a breath, I lowered my voice as I saw they were all feeling a little bad. "Damn this bleeding heart...can't be made when they all look like that, and I should be mad, but they're also right...Ugh."

"Love...everyone," I took them in one by one, "Just...please, next time tell me. Tell me so I don't do anything foolish and make you all worry needlessly...and so I don't worry about you."

"Alright, my love," Cecelia's hand found my cheek once more, "I promise you...I'm sorry. However, you're still in trouble."

"Heh...that's alright," I laughed lightly, pulling Cecelia into the embrace with Alana, "I'm just glad you're all safe..."

-----

The following days saw me confined to the house once more, but this time under severe watch. Scarlett peaked over the sofa at me, her eyes unwavering. Slowing rising next to her were the eyes of Alana, followed by Rosa.

"I'm just reading!" I exclaimed, laughing at the ridiculous of this situation.

"Are you sure?" Scarlett asked, reaching over and poking my leg, "You're not going to run off again?"

"Haha, no, I'm not going to run off," Closing my book, I simply shook my head amusingly.

That whole plot was a trap. Everyone knew about it since Henry's infiltration. They had done investigating and found remnants of the war from years ago. Factions left over from their father's time. They were resurfacing, and Cecelia wanted to crush them in one fell swoop.

Lewis and Hannah were a part of it. They knew our itinerary because we had met with them. Knowing when we returned, Henry was placed to spy. The memos sent to everyone allowed people to know who I was and allowed them to target me and my family. Thankfully, Cecelia ensured their protection.

That only left us. They held nothing back. Staging the whole thing as a terrorist attack. The coming days since had the news reports stating: Terrorist Attack on New Year's Eve. Ishikawa-Alden Corp Responded, Purging the Terrorists and Saving the Festival Goers.

The call Cecelia got was her informant. They failed to stop the attack before it happened, and so she had to act. Her own trap sprung and all those involved were purged. Now, I was not to go anywhere without guards. Thus, the situation I found myself in now. Sadia sat nearby, a watchful eye while the other three peaked over the couch. "A small price to pay for peace of mind...I just hope this is all over."

Cecelia was nearby, going over some documents. She is hard on herself, this I knew. Every time she comes home from work, I reinforced my love and appreciation for her. It was the only time I didn't have guards around, but Cecelia was so I didn't need any others. Our bodies speaking for us as I hoped to ease her burdens just a little.

"I'm alright, love," Cecelia looked up from the other chair in the room, "You worry too much. What I did, I did for you and to ensure that no one else harms us. I am only sorry that I upset you."

"I know," I laughed lightly, nodding, "I just worry, you know that..."

They all shared a knowing look, and I felt rather hurt I was that seen through, but also comforted with that fact. I could be myself, and they still all cared for or loved me in some way. With them all making sure I didn't do anything foolish, I returned to my reading. "Truly...a small price to pay."

----

A bit of context for this situation. There are always people trying to topple Cecelia. Security isn't foolproof. It was all staged, and Cecelia stomped it out in one fell swoop. It was a risk, and the few bystanders that died were a small price to pay in her eyes for the future safety of Alex.

Expect some fluffy chapters to come.

3