Chapter 26: Infiltration Part IV
413 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arc 2: Chimera

Chapter 26: Infiltration Part IV

 

The next day at the appointed time set for the emergency meeting, the moment of reckoning was close at hand.

Paul couldn't help but shiver as he, Avon, Raven and the Mind-Controlled Darwin were being led to a hidden room in the basement of the White Chrysanthemum Inn. For the few years he spent on this establishment, he didn't have even the slightest idea that such a space existed, not to mention it was concealed so discreetly. Some kind of Magic-operated mechanism kept the entire door invisible, making the former employee once again doubt the true face of his workplace.

Nevertheless, Paul did not shy away from entering the room together with his compatriots. And so three people and one bird - Raven insisted on remaining in her other form for contingency purposes - saw a sparse room with walls of delicate white and gold colors.  No decorations and furniture could be seen, except for a round ivory-made table that seated three conspicuous figures - a bald middle-aged man in leather armor, a glasses-adorned handsome youth in a green cloak and a familiar fat but elegantly aged woman.

"Welcome, dear guests," said a widely smiling Martha, the proprietress of the White Chrysanthemum Inn.

"Martha?!" The shock in Paul's face was real, though deep inside he had already expected that his benefactor had ties with the Shifting Sand. "Does this mean you're 'Mead'?"

"Yes, but it's merely my identity in the guild," replied Martha in a good-natured manner, not even blinking at the face of Paul's incredulity. "My real name is of course still Martha, so there's no reason to be so upset, my dear boy."

Paul clenched his fists, his chuckling full of self-deprecation. "So, all those things I did and excuses I made to hide my participation in the guild? It was just me foolishly dancing to your tune, huh?"

"My boy, if someone should be disappointed, it should be me, right?" The look of helplessness in the innkeeper's face was akin to a mother seeing the troubles brought by his prodigal son. "Out of all the people in the guild, you were the last person I thought would betray me."

However, this appeal to pity was merely rebuffed by a scoff. "If you thought otherwise then why am I stuck at the bottom rung all this time? Bet I'm not useful enough to warrant a promotion from the 'boss'."

Martha's consistently amiable expression cracked, but she was quick to shift gears. "Then I guess these 'guests' have offered you quite the place? Otherwise, how else would you be so keen to jump ship?"

"I'd leave that to your imagination," remarked Paul in a high-handed manner, so done with his former employer's subtle manipulations. Compared to Lord Haruki who had shown him compassion and an opportunity to prove himself, these Humans were so dead set in their greed for glory and superiority.

Enduring with a reddening for the entirety of the discussion, the bald armored man exploded. "How dare you take that tone at us?!"

"Keep your voice down, Newton," reprimanded Martha in a stern manner, making the man almost twice her size cower in response. She then turned to Avon in a milder and kinder demeanor.

"Now then, would our guest like to introduce herself? I am very interested why such an esteemed Mage such as yourself would capture one of our own. After all, we are only a middling small guild out here in the wastelands, surely it's not large enough to warrant your attention."

For the entirety of the discussion, Avon had uncharacteristically fallen still and silent, as if a bystander merely watching and eating popcorn from the background. Yet, her upturned eyes were sharp as a blade, catching every movement made and every word uttered.

This time, the spotlight was turned over to her, so Avon accepted with a graceful smile. "How true, such a small guild is definitely unwarranted, especially so that it belongs to the Varuna Theocracy."

The tranquility that covered the entire room was far from peaceful, edged with slightly shifting waves that would sooner or later take form as a tsunami.

The glasses-wearing man in his early twenties looked visibly shaken, a far cry from the confident and haughty look he wore from beginning to end.

"Wh-what are you talking about? Do we lo-look like Varunai to you? Don't you know the Theocracy explicitly prohibits illegal acts such as prostitution and blackmailing? You're making absurd, baseless accusations!"

The other male boss, Newton, looked more convincingly confused. "Why're you so shaken up, Young? Of course, we aren't affiliated to Varuna, that self-righteous nation of zealots."

However, Young seemed to have lost it, growling like a feral dog and making the other more irritable. "Shut up, you insufferable insect!"

Paul watched with shock as the two bosses of Shifting Sand came close to blows. He was equally astounded at Avon's outrageously far-fetched conjecture, but seeing their reactions then it wasn't completely off the mark.

Even Martha had a hard time regaining her composure. "Calm down, the two of you! There's no need for this argument, she is trying to sow discord amongst us!"

In response to the accusation, the Succubus merely giggled. "Sow discord? Are you trying to make me laugh? Your entire organization is built upon so many lies, it's falling apart at the seams."

"Lies?" Newton grew wide-eyed at the implication. As expected of someone at the top in an information guild, he was quick to piece the puzzle. "So, all these Enchanted items and the bucket-loads of cash, it all came from Varuna?"

The man's face turned ugly with a deep shade of crimson, grabbing the collar of the nearby-seated Young. "You guys are in cahoots, right? Making a toy out of our Shifting Sand, who the hell are you?!"

"I said SHUT UP!" A flash of brilliant light came from Martha's right hand, throwing it out to her noisy partner in a fit of anger.

A dying scream resounded in the room, coming from Newton, whose entire body was soon charred by lightning. Some residual electricity hurt the close Young, who shrieked and dived to the floor in pain, crying for mercy.

Paul gasped at the sudden turn of events, on how easily a man's life had been snuffed out without remorse. He turned gratefully at Avon, who swiftly moved and stood before him at the slightest presence of danger, all done to cover him from harm.

"Ah…" Martha's distorted face was devoid of any gentleness and kindness, the disdain for the dead man was clear on her expression.

"I was hoping to get some more use out of him, but what a shame he had to die like that."

"For knowing too much, I presume," drawled Avon lazily, but her figure was primed for action. "Not the first to be 'erased', I'm sure. Those that still had some use could be sent to the Chimeras for Mind Wiping."

As if taking off the mask, Martha took on a frank and perceiving manner. "You are very well-acquainted with our proceedings. You're making me doubly curious about your identity."

"Don't you have any theories?"

"The presence of a Familiar points to the Nit Magedom. Not to mention, you are also especially adept at Wood and Psychic Magic. However, your past behavior…"

Martha looked meaningfully at Paul in this juncture, making the boy uncomfortable at the cruel eyes of what was once a kind and motherly boss. She really hid herself well, even knowing a lot of things including his complex relationship with the Demon Hero, truly worthy of one sitting at the top of an illegal information guild.

"Your past behavior…" Martha continued, speaking slowly and measuredly. "The promiscuity does not fit any Scholar of repute."

"There are as many Scholars as there are stars in the sky." Avon neither confirmed nor rejected the other woman's suspicions, but one thing was clear for her.

Martha and her men from the Varuna Theocracy did not know they were demons.

There were many hints as to this fact. First off, the Theocracy were vicious Demon slayers and would never consider negotiating with them once their identities were revealed. Next, Avon made great strides to ensure that the secret was kept - for one, Raven never showed her Human form ever since they left the White Chrysanthemum Inn after capturing Darwin. The Hero had long since instructed the young Succubus to act like a Familiar, to serve as both a precaution and a diversion. Finally, all the hidden armaments inside the room were designed to drain Magic power, but not to restrain those with Demonic constitutions.

Yes, that was right, Avon had long since figured out that this "negotiation" was indeed a trap. Particularly, a trap designed for Humans who specialize in various forms of arcane Magic. Such an arrangement was duly expected; after all, Avon and Raven steered a lot of their recent discussions to focus more on their Magic-inclined Abilities. Although Lord Haruki had been mentioned several times, there was no mention of his role as the Demon King of Lust.

It was easy to see that Martha had already dug a hole for herself, probably mistaking their identities as some rogue small-time Mages who were after their guild and the Chimeras. How else could they be so unprepared when Avon laid out their connection to the Varuna Theocracy? They even let someone who was not in the know - the unfortunate boss Newton - enter the room. And so, one careless mistake would lead to another.

Martha wore a winning smile as she opened her arms. "Well, whoever you are, this will be your grave!"

A sharp red light covered the entire room, particularly on Avon's side near the door. She dropped on her knees, pretending to shake uncontrollably. "N-no, my M-magic…"

"Avon!" Paul yelled out in alarm, completely oblivious of Avon's control of the situation. His sudden movement startled Raven into flying away, but the bird did not share his concern. He moved to rush to her side, but he was easily stopped by an unexpected figure.

"Good job, Darwin," praised Martha soothingly, watching as the man took hold of Paul's thin arm. "The Mind Control Spell had been lifted, I see."

The horrified boy struggled, but he was no match for a grown man. "Get off me!"

Darwin didn't reply, quickly taking both the boy's arms and holding them behind his back. Instead, he turned to Martha with a questioning look on his face.

The Inn boss was quick to redeem herself, unhurriedly trying to fix the situation while ignoring Avon's frail look; after all, she had already won.

"Don't look so sad, Darwin. The secrets were kept for your own good. You yourself know the perils of knowing too much. Besides, weren't our arrangements noteworthy? You've been under the Mind Control Spell but kept your consciousness the entire time because of our intervention."

Darwin's unusually placid face showed some emotion. "You were the one who did… That?"

"Yes, yes, it's a Skill called Mind's Eye." Martha was so keen on pulling Darwin back to her servitude that she didn't dare hide anything. "You know the Dharma Monks of the Varuna Theocracy? It's a basic Skill they teach to their apprentices. Very handy when you don't want nasties sneaking in and taking Control of your own people. We also have a device that notifies us if someone activates it, even shares vision and sound! That's how we know you are in trouble. Why else would we do so much except for trying to rescue you?"

While Darwin stood expressionless at the revelation, Paul turned aghast. "What? You mean to say that you guys aren't in cahoots with the Hundred-Eyed Alchemist?!"

Disgust marred Martha's face and tone; the name's very mention turned her mouth reckless. "That immoral Scholar? Who would want to work with him? If not for his presence, we would have long destroyed the Chimeras and completed our mission!"

"Destroy the Chimeras?" Paul was terrified at the fact that they misinterpreted the enemy's intentions. If this was the case, Lord Haruki was in grave danger!

The boy was so worried about his idol that he had forgotten that he was still in said enemy's clutches. He was so out of it until Martha barked out a cruel order.

"Darwin, dispose of the traitor!"

Before anyone could do anything however, a multitude of vines suddenly erupted from the ground, cutting off Darwin and releasing Paul from his grasp. This time, the plants were gentle with Paul, caressing him like he was on a cradle instead of a mantrap. The hovering Raven took this chance to perch back on the boy's shoulder.

"Calm down," whispered Raven, calming Paul's pumping adrenaline somewhat. "Lady Avon has everything under control."

As if to prove her right, Martha screamed out loud. "What in God's name? Why isn't the Mana Draining Device working?"

"Oh, it's working just fine," replied Avon, shedding her fragile appearance and looking playfully smug. "Just that this specific Ability of mine doesn't count as Magic~"

"What?" Martha's eyes were as wide as saucers. "Don't tell me you're a Hero Candidate?"

Both Paul and Raven heard the term for the first time in their lives. "A Hero what now?"

"Now, now, my dear child, there's time for interrogation later~"

In contrast, Avon was in a relaxed and satisfied mood, watching as her Motherly Embrace Ability imprisoned the despondent Darwin, unconscious Young and struggling Martha in an impenetrable cage of green. There were some shrieks and shouts outside the door, no doubt the guild members waiting in ambush outside were caught off guard.

"Reinforcements, I believe? Really, everything screams of 'his' handiwork, that of my dear wayward youngest son of old."

The Demon Hero shook her head with a nostalgic look on her face. Then, she turned to the dumbfounded boy and the bird on his shoulder. "I'll leave outside for you to take care of, Raven."

"Understood, Lady Avon."

As Raven moved to do her bidding, Avon stepped into the fray, the plants making way for a queen's runway. She gave the innkeeper a bloodthirsty glare, silencing her in an instant.

"Now as for you, trying to hurt my darling son, you will pay quite the steep price."

Revelations abound in this chapter!

As to how Avon figured out that the Varuna Theocracy is behind the plot, we will have to wait on that for a bit.

For the next update, we will be finally back to Haruki's side of things. Can our favorite Demon King of Lust save the Chimeras from destruction?

See you in the next chapter!

7