B1: Ch 5: Stasia and Dolsk
37 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Light brown hair framed a square jawed face, with a heavy stubble. The male pattern of cursed eyes framed by eyeliner that some maid had applied to him earlier in the day and was starting to need a touch up. His stocky muscular form was stuck in a suit and tie the same color as a corpse's blood. His hair was slicked back and tucked beneath his trademark top hat, slightly askew from being pushed against the back of his fancy velvet upholstered chair. He swirled the whiskey in his glass watching the single ice cube swirl in the vortex. 

The door to his study opened and an elderly butler strode in. "Lord Dolsk. Good evening."

"Good evening to you as well, Nottingham. For what do you visit me at such an hour?"

"An invitation to the capital of Davil to meet with the heirs and Prime Minister."

Dolsk sipped whiskey, savoring the taste. "Is that so? And this invitation. Is it confirmed to be legitimate?"

"From the information that our spies have gathered it is legitimate- if not a bit hastily sent."

"So, it is not a joke by my sister?"

"Lady Stasia? No, no."

"Or those two?"

"You mean Dowsrohe and..."

"Yes, her little assets."

"Then, no. You know Dows, their pranks are more obvious."

"Yes, for someone with their Curse, they are awful at subtlety." He replied pouring more whiskey into his glass.

"My lord, are you planning to go?"

"Is Stasia?"

"I would expect that she is."

"Then, yes. Go compose the letter announcing it."

"Yes, my lord." Nottingham bowed and backed out of the study.

Dolsk looked at his glass. The brownish yellow liquid reflected back at him. It was going to be annoying to deal with Stasia, such an untrustworthy woman. He'd rather she had not been coming- after all, she was only passingly interested in the crown. In fact she had only announced herself as a heir after he had spread rumors about himself. It was fucking annoying.

He should pack. Probably some armor with the whole family in town.

--

Stasia walked out onto her balcony and looked at the crowd below. She had become responsible for a few villages worth of citizens, so her leave would need a speech to explain. She sometimes wished Dowsrohe was here, but they were needed to ensure... she thought her final name would be Quercia as her oracle had mentioned once or twice but at the moment her codename of Apera would be the best way to refer to her for now.... Apera was able to do her job. Apera and Palomine. Would it be better to refer to both by codename? Dowsrohe was attached to their name, even though it was just a jumble of the familial middle name for children who were decided to be male when born. They had claimed it just felt "gender" when ever Stasia asked them about- oh, right. The crowd. She could consider her siblings names later, for now...

She took a deep breath and began:

"My beloved citizens! A lovely day to you all. I am your Princess Stasia Eleanor Valsk."

The crowd cheered.

"Tell me, what does one do when the cubs of a bear invites the young of the prey their parents killed to dine with them in their den? Would they dine or would they leave it alone, expecting the invitation to be a trap. But what if that only lead to the bears not seeing them as equals to be respected but prey to be devoured? What if only by going against instinct would the bears and prey be able to live in some sort of harmony? I am that prey, and I intended to accept the invitation. The mad king's heirs have summoned me and my brother to discuss things in the den of their colonial machine. I, by right should refuse. I have no love lost for the city, nor the country- though I also hold the heirs no ill-will for what their father did to my entire family. Families to be more precise. I do not even fault them for them killing my step-mother, since that is a sin for them as well- ah, but such things are meaningless to you. I am blathering on and on about such nonsense that even the fools of the court would call out my blabbering and demand I stop for want of their jobs. Let me put it simple. I will negotiate a return to sovereignty in exchange for taking back as many immigrants and refugees as we can- even if I have to succeed borderlands. I will return our motherland to it's rightful place as an independent kingdom. I will soon no longer be your princess, I will be your Queen, and you will be able to hold your heads high as proud Hustarians once again. As such, I will be leaving you for a time. I hope my absence will not cause any hardship, and in my steed I have left my Knight's Captain Ourana to lead the area. I hope she will be treated as well as you have treated me."

The crowd cheered as she turned around and went back inside and made her way into her bed chambers and lay back. She cut her finger upon a knife and stuck it in her ear, the familiar unearthly buzzing overwhelmed her as her cursed eye began to faintly glow. And then she could hear a very tired voice- not exactly as the speaker would sound out loud as the voice in ones head was always different from the ones others heard. It was always a surprise when she heard a new person though her curse's communication.

"Apera. Are you awake still?"

"I am now, Stasia. What is it? Couldn't you have borrowed the brain of Dowsrohe, or would the echoes in it be too much for you."

"I am to arrive in a few days at the Davil capital. I need the plan to kick into gear faster."

"And the terrorists?"

"They will act if things start happening. That is what those types are want to do."

"Fine. I will inform Dows in the morning. For now, can I sleep? I was having such a lovely dream."

"Really? What was it?"

"Oh, I was with my friends. That is all."

"Well, goodbye for now and remember: be a stranger."

Stasia poured the finger out and poured water from a pitcher into her ear and used a towel to clean it out. She hated the way that felt.

Tomorrow she would set off, to the capital. To where Kia was, and her two adorable little idiot siblings were as well.

4