Chapter 38: The Prince is straight!
139 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The scene they are filming right now is for an earlier episode. They are filming in a scattered way. The actors must’ve been real bad huh…

“Mother empress… I come seeking advice,” says Ryouta (played by Sho). He goes on one knee and bows his head. The empress gestures for the servants to leave them alone.

“What is the matter my son?” says empress Sabina (played by Saori).

“While training with the soldiers when guiding a certain… soldier, my chest tightens.”

“My son! Are you overworking yourself? It must be stress! It is affecting you!”

“Is it really the stress?”

“Come. Come. Drink some of my herbal tea and I order you to relax for a while. Goodness, our land is peaceful. You don’t need to be hard on yourself.”

“So it really is stress? Thank you for your advice, mother empress. I feel better already.”

Ryouta breathes a sigh of relief. He sits down with the empress and they chat and enjoy cups of herbal tea.

It’s a magnificent scene. Saori and Sho are like a mother and son pair. Saori’s acting has improved so much. I guess her high potential is showing.

“Cut, that was perfect! Let’s all take a quick break before filming the next scene,” says Director Otis.

Saori walks towards me. A smile plastered on her face.

“Did I do well, manager?” says Saori.

“You were excellent,” I say.

“The other scenes must go smoothly. Wait here.”

Saori then walks towards Brook. He’s in the next scene they will film after this quick break. When Brook alongside the others near him notice Saori move closer, they blush.

I don’t understand why, but I get an annoying feeling all over my body. Calm down, me.

Saori then moves in to whisper something in Brooks’ ears. His entire body burns bright.

I’m annoyed right now. They’re co-workers… What am I even going through right now? Am I the possessive type? Do I have a disorder or something?

While battling my inner thoughts. Saori pokes me on the side. I look at both of them. His body seems to have lost its color.

“Manager, what happened? Your face looked dark,” says Saori.

“Nothing. I was just thinking about our taxes,” I say.

“Oh. I understand why you looked like that.”

“Yeah, so what did you talk about?”

Saori looks around and whispers in my ear.

“I told him the first male lead might have feelings for him.”

“What? Why would you do that?”

“It worked with Kara, so it might work here.”

“How would that even work?”

“Watch. I told the male lead earlier to smile if the second male lead looks at him.”

Just as she said. Brook looks at Sho and Sho smiles at Brook. Brook’s skin turns even paler from that. Sho walks towards Brook. Sho puts a hand on Brook’s shoulder and says some motivation words to Brook. I imagine that made things worse.

“That’s pretty devious,” I say.

“We can clear it up later,” says Saori.

The break ends and the next scene plays. Two people, Ryouta and Akio (played by Brook), are playing an ancient board game ‘generals’. It’s a complicated war game with that was popular during ancient times.

Ryouta holds a piece and places it on the board.

“Akio. You and me go way back ever since we were kids. You are one the only one I can honestly talk to.”

Akio also grabs a piece and places it on the board.

“You can talk to me about anything. What seems to be the problem?”

“I need you to take this seriously.”

“I will. What do you take me for?”

Ryouta holds a game piece and starts playing with it in his hands.

“Be honest. Have you ever dreamed about another man’s nape?”

Ryouta places the game piece with force on the table.

“Can you say that again?” says Akio.

“Dreams about another man’s neck and back,” says Ryouta.

“So I wasn’t hearing things?”

Akio grabs a game piece. His hands are shaking, but he places it on the board. Akio speaks to Ryouta.

Image

[collapse]

“You’re not testing me or something, right?”

“I’m not.”

Ryouta grabs another piece and plays his move. His eyes focus on Akio’s face.

“Uh… Well, I dream of battles and I see the backs of soldiers, whether they be enemy or foe!” says Akio.

“I’m talking about a different sort of dream,” says Ryouta.

“What kind of dream exactly?”

Ryouta raises an eyebrow at him and holds his hands in front of his face. Ryouta then gives a small nod.

“Oh, Author above! The stiff ones?” says Akio.

Ryouta nods.

“It’s probably the stress!” says Akio.

“Mother empress told me that too…” says Ryouta.

“Mother knows best!”

There’s a brief pause in their conversation.

“It’s been your turn for a while now,” says Ryouta.

“Uh… Alright, here’s my move,” says Akio.

Akio plays his move and Ryouta counters.

“I won. Let’s play another round.”

“Excuse me, your majesty Ryouta. I have some tasks to do.”

“Why are you calling me your majesty? I don’t remember you having any tasks left today?”

“You memorized my schedule?”

“Why not? I should know what my retainers do. That’s part of being a prince.”

“Of course you are a noble prince, after all! Well, I still have to go. It’s a family matter.”

“What is it? Can I not know?”

“Well, you know I’m the only heir of my family. Similar to how you’re the only heir to our empire.”

“I know.”

“So, as a dutiful son, I have to meet with prospective partners. Women partners.”

“I understand. It’ll be boring without you, but I understand how important that is.”

“Thank you, friend.”

Ryouta leaves the prince’s room. Once he’s alone and a distance away, he talks to himself. He kneels and prays towards the sky.

“Author above! Don’t let this happen to our empire! Or at least not to me! Please, not me!”

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to find MISTAKES. The art is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the MISTAKES will go over a typical reader’s head. 

There’s also FIXES' nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. 

The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate how to find MISTAKES and FIX them, to realise that they’re not just FIXES—they say something deep about MISTAKES

As a consequence people who can't appreciate MISTAKES truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Author's existential catchphrase “I'm a stupid retard why do I keep making typos!,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. 

I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as MISTAKES unfolds itself on their reading screens.

6