Chapter 11: Huntresses Hunted
492 7 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sipriotes

It took Heracles months to capture the Ceryneian hind, and even then, it was only because she grew tired of the chase. Here we were, about to try and capture another member of her herd in a single night.

I like a challenge.

I was a hunter before Artemis found me, and my skill only grew with her blessings and guidance. Aipserokeleuthos was blessed too though, and she’d been journeying with Artemis even longer than I had. Every trap and snare I knew, she did too, every trick I had to hide myself, she had seen and countered countless times. She was a sacred animal of the goddess of the hunt, so naturally, it would be impossible to truly hunt her.

She was lying there in the grass, taunting us. I was under no illusions, she knew we were here. She’d chosen to go to bed anyways because she was confident we couldn’t catch her. We’d just have to see. Even against an opponent like her, three thousand years of hunting had to mean something, right?

Sophia

I tried to calm my breathing as I crouched in the brush. I really hoped Sipriotes was right about this, it’d be a damn short hunt if she wasn’t. I clutched my spear tight as I tried not to think too hard about the massive, supposedly fire breathing, deer less than a hundred feet away. Eventually, after an agonizingly long wait, I felt a familiar presence in my mind.

3…

Sipriotes. Guess we were doing this.

2…

I really didn’t want to die tonight.

1…

Fuck it.

Now!

I charged out of cover, feeling the spear’s enchantment ripple through my body. I flew through the grass faster than any olympic sprinter could ever dream of, but it still wasn’t fast enough. Aipserokeleuthos shot to her feet, taking just a fraction of a second to analyze her surroundings before she bolted.

Sipriotes wasn’t kidding. She’d known we were here the whole time. She smelled all three of us, regardless of the wind. We’d only gotten this far because she’d let us. When I startled her, she’d taken a single sniff, picking out the scents of Sipriotes and Chloe, and chose to take her chances with the latter.

I almost smiled. Wrong choice.

We couldn’t hide from her. She’d smell us no matter how well we hid, but that didn’t mean we couldn’t trick her. It was apparently a simple spell, and it was almost never used, so it might be something that Aipserokeleuthos hadn’t planned for.

Instead of trying to conceal our scents entirely, Chloe and Sipriotes had swapped scents through a bit of basic magic. Now Chloe smelled like a three thousand year old minor goddess, and Sipriotes smelled like her. In other words, the scent that Aipserolkeleuthos was running towards was…

Sipriotes suddenly materialized before the deer, tangling the chain of some kind of medallion in her antlers before suddenly vanishing once again. The medallion began to glow and so did Chloe, as she sprinted from her hiding place in the forest to stand behind me. Aipserokeleuthos turned to face us, murder in her eyes as a tether of silvery light stretched between her and Chloe.

And with that, you’re bound. Aipserokeleuthos can no longer travel further than a hundred meters from you Chloe. She can’t run. I felt her smile inside our heads. Good luck, you two. I’m rooting for you! Sophia still owes me, after all. She winked at us telepathically, a slightly unnerving experience, and then she was gone.

Round two, it was time to do this.

Chloe

When we’d planned our ambush out, Sipriotes had been very clear about one thing. You can’t hunt the goddess of the hunt’s sacred animal. Nobody who isn’t a ridiculously powerful demigod like Heracles would even have a chance. It seemed natural at the time to suggest making her hunt me instead. Staring down a mythical megafauna that was definitely snorting fire now, I started to question the logic of that decision.

A bit too late for regrets now, isn’t it Chloe?

I laughed nervously at that.

Yeah, I guess it is.

Without warning, Aipserokeleuthos charged, far faster than she’d ever been when we’d first met. I barely had time to gasp before Sophia scooped me up and spun us both out of the way. She smiled as she set me down, keeping one eye on the deer that was now cautiously pacing around us, flames puffing from her nostrils with each breath.

They were both blurs, Sophia and Aipserokeleuthos. They were both faster than I could track, but it was obvious that Aipserokeleuthos was slightly faster. We needed a plan, and soon, or we’d just exhaust ourselves. I might not be able to fight, not against something this fast, but I could still think. I just needed some time to-

A gout of flame erupted from our foe, and I once again found myself being whisked away by Sophia. We needed an advantage, or at least a level playing field, but what?

Aipserokeleuthos charged through the flames, catching Sophia off guard and clipping her in the shoulder, tearing a nasty gash into it. Oh gods. We needed to finish this. Sophie needed to get somewhere safe so she could clean that and take care of it and-

Well that was an idea.

Sophie, can you get us to the coast?

Before she even began her response, she was already sprinting westward.

I bet I can. Why? I assume you’ve got a plan?

I leaned over her uninjured shoulder as she ran, firing shot after shot at the pursuing hind. I wasn’t expecting to hit her, but if I could slow her down even a little, that’d be enough.

I think I do, yeah. Just get me to a boat and out on the water.

I felt her smile within my mind.

Oh. I like the way you think, Chloe.

Sophia ran. She ran and ran and ran and ran and ran. For almost an hour, she just kept tearing through the forest at breakneck speed, and I just kept shooting. A few times, Aipserokeleuthos caught up to us, and each time, Sophia found some new way to avoid her, but it could only last so long. With the adrenaline and the magic of her spear, she likely didn’t notice, but her shoulder was bleeding badly. I was worried for her, but right now, the only way to get her help was to get Aipserokeleuthos away.

Eventually, after what felt like an eternity, the village of Brauron appeared before us, and with it, the coast.

Sipriotes said no ship would bear us. She never said the same about boats! Get me in one, and I can probably row faster than she can swim. I just have to get far enough out that she can’t reach land anymore with the tether, and we wait till she surrenders.

Sophia chuckled softly as she darted through the deserted streets of Brauron, charging towards the coast. It’s a good thing it was night time, I’d have hated for someone to get caught up in this.

You’re a pretty devious lady. You know that, Chloe?

I gave her a tight smile in return.

I try.

With that, I was unceremoniously tossed in some random fisherman’s trehantiri and shoved out onto the water. A massive gout of flame washed over the water behind me, just barely licking the rear end of the boat. I scrambled into the back, calling to Sophia aloud.

“I might be stuck out here a while, Sophie! Once I’m far enough out, it should be safe enough to deliver food and fresh water as long as you’re careful! We just have to outlast her!”

Something strange happened after I said that. Instead of trying to pursue me further into the water, Aipserokeleuthos turned towards Sophia, and she kneeled. A strange voice, guttural and inhuman, smashed into my mind.

Congratulations… You’ve won.

I grabbed an oar and started digging into the water, slowing myself down.

Wait, what?

She turned to look at me, and it almost seemed like she was smiling.

Your plan. It would have worked. I’m not in the mood for a lengthy swim right now, so why not just skip the in between? Take what you need, remove the binding placed upon me, and ready yourselves to be on your way. I swear on the RIver Styx I have no intention of tricking you. Come back to shore, Chloe. Shave my antlers, Sophia. You did well for a pair of mortals.

She looked towards Sophia again.

That trick from Sipriotes was impressive as well. Not that I’d fall for it again. I’ll have to pay her back sometime.

Sophia dropped to her knees before Aipserokeleuthos, and gently began chipping off a few pieces of her antlers with her spear. By the time I made my way back to shore, Sophia had nearly finished untangling Sipriotes’ chain, and a crowd of curious onlookers had gathered. I really hoped none of them had heard me shouting

I weaved my way quickly through the crowd, my silver bow and glowing eyes carving a path through the crowd more easily than words ever could. I helped Sophia to her feet, and Aipserokeleuthos stood as well, bowing her head slightly at the both of us before vanishing into the night.

“Now,” Sophia said, clutching her wounded shoulder. “I’d really fuckin’ appreciate it if y’all could get us on a ship bound for Crete… tomorrow. Or the day after. Or maybe next week. I am in so much pain right now…”

And then she collapsed.

Deer defeated, but Sophia's down for the count. The journey on the mainland is coming to a close, all that's left is the return to Crete. Should be simple, right?

Time for your Ancient Greek fun fact of the day! Since we're starting the journey to Crete soon, let's talk about one of the most famous heroes to visit that island. Theseus! Everyone knows the story of the minotaur, but Theseus had plenty of other adventures too! Theseus once slew a giant son of Poseidon who would trick travelers into helping him bend down a pine tree, letting go unexpectedly and flinging them to their deaths. Theseus also defeated Periphetes, a son of Hephaestus, the wrestler Cercyon, and the murderer Procrustes, who would force people to fit a bed, either by stretching them or cutting bits off. My personal favorite though, is Sciron, a trickster who fed people to his giant turtle. I don't know why, I just like that he had a giant turtle. Turtles can have a little human flesh, as a treat.

43