Comfortable Travels
86 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Warrior of the Oni Clan, you've gained my respect for trying to help.  What brings you so far from the capital?" The lioness asked.

"...Uhhh…I was sent to deliver a message." He lied.

Shu had decided to play the part in order to garner less attention. It was better than revealing his true race. Tessvulin frowned.

"A message this far out? I find that hard to believe."

"Ah…well it's actually a subtle way for them to get rid of me."

"Really? This is the first I've heard of an Oni being disowned. I always thought they took care of their kin." She commented. The young samurai sweatdropped.

"...It's all just a front they put on in public. Behind closed doors, things are much different." He bullshitted.

The fierce woman rubbed her chin for a moment. It seemed like she was taking his words at face value. Her ears moved slightly. As she pondered over this new information, her gaze happened to land on his horns.

"The tip of your horns are glowing!" She exclaimed.

"Mnn." He nodded.

"Interesting. Are you some type of rare breed?"

"Something like that. I was born like this. Anyways, I'll be going now." He spoke before walking off. Tessulvin watched his back profile for a moment.

"You were kind enough to assist our battle even though it was unneeded. I can't let you just walk. Where are you headed? Maybe we're going the same way." She called out. Shu paused before turning around. A yawn escaped his lips.

"...Croydon."

"What?! You're going to the slums?"

"...Mnn."

"I won't ask why, but I'm headed to the capital. You should ride with me since they're nearby. Maybe we can exchange a few pointers!" She exclaimed while looking at his katana.

"Tessvulin-"

"Just call me Tess."

"Tess, are you sure you want a stranger riding with you?" He asked while gesturing to the remaining soldiers.

They were watching him with suspicion. It didn't seem like he was welcome here. The looks on their faces showed contempt. Did the races not get along with each other? The armored woman smiled, showing her canines.

"Stranger huh? What's your name, warrior?" Tess responded.

"Shu."

"Well then, Shu. You aren't a stranger anymore. Now you are Shu, an exile of the Oni Clan. Let's go." She concluded. Hearing her words, a soldier spoke up.

"But milady-" His words stopped upon seeing her glare. There was no place for him to question her authority. If he continued, his job would be at risk.

The young samurai followed the lioness back to her carriage. He sat across from her and placed the sheathed katana on his lap. The caravan started moving once more. It was time to enter The Veldhoven. Shu didn't have any identification that showed his origins. If he didn't choose to travel with Tess, things may have been much more difficult.

The patrol team at the border didn't even think twice upon seeing her. A respectful bow was the only action they made, allowing the caravan to enter unquestioned. Offending a noble clan would be a surefire way to ruin their life.

As the carriage rolled on, the surroundings went from rocks and gravel to fields and plains. Citizens could be seen everywhere. Demihumans and beastkin alike were tending to crops and cutting down trees. The majority of people were all Bronze, with a few Silvers every now and then.

"Your sword is incredibly thin. Do you really expect it to help you in a time of need? You should get something like this baby." Tess exclaimed while displaying her hilt. Shu leaned against the window and closed his eyes.

"...It gets the job done. That's all that matters." He responded. There were some things she didn't need to know about his katana.

"I guess. You know Shu, it's been a long time since I've spoken with another person who didn't care about my status."

"Were you locked away in your home or something?" He joked.

"If only. My father sent me to Stormfeldt, a battle school in the capital. I hate it there. Everyone is so stuck up! Ugh…luckily we're on break. Do you know how exhausting it is to wake up everyday and…" Tess ranted.

Her complaints went on for an incredibly long time, making Shu fall asleep. He was already out for the count when she finally turned back to him. The fierce woman raised an eyebrow.

" - and they suck up to me whenever I…Shu?"

Tessulvin watched his sleeping figure. The young samurai looked harmless in his current position. The way he hugged his katana like a pillow was adorable. It was a breath of fresh air. He didn't talk much either. Shu seemed to be a good listener, which was what she needed. She knew at this moment that she would befriend him.

A few hours passed and the sun made its descent. When the lazy swordsman opened his eyes, he realized that he was alone in the carriage. He looked out the window to see a bonfire. A huge lake surrounded by trees could be seen in the distance. The moonlight shimmered over the calm water. Shu casually exited the structure and approached the bonfire.

The crackles of the flame reverberated through the area. Its luminosity revealed a plethora of soldiers. They were all gathered around the warm fire. Tess wasn't there. Not finding her, he decided to check the lake.

His guess was correct. She was there alright. Her silhouette could be found in the water, and it was slowly approaching. When the moonlight shined onto her, Shu realized that she was naked. Her curves were on full display.

"Looking to catch me without clothing? I didn't take you for a perv." She exclaimed in a calm tone. The young samurai looked away.

"...Sorry." He grumbled.

He could hear all of her movements, from exiting the lake, to drying off and wearing her clothes. The sleepy man began to ponder over what he'd do upon reaching Croydon. As he fell into his thoughts, Tess spoke up.

"Shu."

"Hmm?"

Shu turned around to see her holding the hilt of her weapon in a backhand grip. Her armored gown truly gave her the aura of a powerful knight. The weapon transformed, quickly changing into the massive greatsword.

"Shall we have a spar?" She asked.

3