Chapter 3: Mock Battles
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was the last one to enter class, but it wasn’t too noticeable. The next class was a decent sized room, but when I observed things further, students were heading towards another door. Catching up to them, I went through the door, being greeted by an area called outside. 

An open field.

Huh, I guess this means this class will probably be sparring. Not that I dislike that, however can’t that wait? Or are they expecting us to immediately start training? It’s the first day, aren’t we supposed to take it easy? 

Oh, well. I should probably start stretching my limbs. Though before I could start two instructors appeared out of nowhere. 

“Everyone, I’ll be keeping things short and sweet. Each student will spar with another fellow student. The two of us will be observing your matches. We’ll make sure to keenly evaluate each of you,” he said, smiling.

I don’t know if you should be smiling at the fact students are going to fight each other. But that’s just me, feel free to do whatever you like. The more I heard the instructor call names, the more I wished I had stayed during whatever my teacher wanted to lecture me about. I wouldn’t say I hate fighting, the problem is that I’m not in the mood for it.

I know it sounds strange, but I decided to chill for the first day here to gauge how I’ll do. An immediate battle ruins my plans for the day. I won’t complain though it is pretty annoying to have your plans crushed like that. Once names were called, the two students separated from the group to have a sparing battle. Multiple battles were happening so while it would take time for it to finish, it wasn’t anything unbearable.

While waiting for my turn I witnessed Mitsugi get his ass beat, not literally, by a female student. He was being overwhelmed, barely being able to defend himself. I sort of feel bad for him, being paired with such a strong opponent. The girl gracefully delivered a strike to his face, rendering him unconscious. Taking a closer look at the girl's appearance made it apparent why Mitsugi lost. 

Her platinum color hair, paired with cerulean blue eyes gave it away. This isn’t even mentioning the air of nobility she emitted. 

Princess Ortlinde Azalea Amidonia.

Or Princess Ortlinde for short. From the looks of it she isn’t the only one as then she’ll probably be in Class A, but that’s besides the point. To think a princess would be placed in this class. How laughable, it’s as if something wants me to stay. There I go with my imagination, I probably just got lucky to be in the same class. 

And since she’s a princess, various gazes were sent her way, varying in emotions. In an aloof expression she went out to do whatever because I couldn’t see anything due to the other students forming groups to watch her. As such I quickly went to pick up Mitsugi so he wouldn't get run over by the crowd, he was quite heavy so I mostly dragged him away.

Keep in mind I still have a match going on. A few seconds later he woke up, staring at the sky with an ashamed expression. 

“I really lost…”

“Well, it is the princess. At least you didn’t get one-shotted.”

“—!” Hearing my voice, his body jumped. Startled, he barely registered my face. 

“Taetel?”

Oh, he remembered my name. That’s surprising.

“How's it going, Mitsugi? Did the beating feel good? She’s quite the beauty,” I joked, sitting down on the grass.

“Hell no! I’m not a masochist. Even if she’s the princess, I cannot believe I lost,” he clicked his tongue, clenching his fist.

“Are you really confident in your strength? Well, I’m the same, though I still can’t picture yself beating her.”

“Yeah, I know. But you can’t really doubt yourself like that. No matter how small the chances are I’ll still take it. Because even if I lose I’ll get experience for the next battle,” he exclaimed.

“You’re right about that,” I chuckled.

“Abigail Basset and Taetel Chaim,” shouted the instructions due to the sounds of the mock battles.

“Looks like I’ll be next. I’ll put on a good show. I’m not going down without a fight,” I grinned, getting up.

“Good luck,” he gave me a thumbs up.

My time has come, I had finished my stretching long ago, and was ready to begin fighting. I don’t know who my opponent is, but I’ll be sure to win this match. Though I will say the surname Basset sounds familiar. Unfortunately, I can’t remember where.

Both of us were given a wooden sword, swinging it around. I tested the speed and weight of it. I was so preoccupied doing that I almost forgot to see who my opponent was. Who I was matched against.

A girl? A female student with maroon red hair tied into a ponytail. Her cyber yellow eyes made eye contact with hers, I didn’t look away as there was no reason for it. 

Red hair, yellow eyes, last name Basset…

Then is she the daughter of that Baron? So that’s why I wasn’t able to recognize her immediately. Heh, this should be a good match. I slightly smirked, making her furrow her eyebrows in confusion. 

“Why are you smirking?” she asked, annoyed.

“Oh, was I? My bad, it’s been a while since I had a good match,” I explained, wiping my smirk off my face.

“So you’re saying we’re on the same level…” she muttered, not even offended.

“That’s not it, but think what you want.”

It seems she got confused by my words. If being completely honest, I’m weaker than her. Nonetheless, as Mitsugi said it’ll be good experience because no matter the winner I still get something out of it.

Hm. The teachers are watching though…

I gripped on the sword, getting into a battle stance. She did the same as we waited for the signal to begin. 

“Begin!” 

With that shout the match had begun. 

1