Prologue
19 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Perhaps it was her punishment.

“If you leave now, you may never be able to come back.” Her mother had warned her.

“That’s fine.” She had replied.

And now she crouched in an abandoned building with a half caved-in roof, labor pains wracking her sweaty, shaking body; no mother and no husband to hold her hand.

“Hiryana, for your sake and the sake of our child, leave now.”

“I’m not leaving you behind.”

“They are after me. Let me lead them away, I promise I’ll come get you when it’s safe.”

The last promise he ever made to her. The first promise he ever broke. A pained, breathless scream tore out of her lungs; at least soon the baby would be out and she wouldn’t be alone anymore...

...Except when, hours later, the baby finally came he didn’t cry... he didn’t breathe.

It had to be her punishment for getting on that boat and leaving her home behind. She sat on a dusty floor in an almost roofless building as fat water droplets began to fall. Blood soaked the dirt underneath her and in her arms was a blue-faced baby that refused to take a breath no matter how much she rubbed his chest and back. Her vision began to blur and the adrenaline drained out of her. Her arms became shaky and weak until, finally, she gave up and closed her eyes.

She remembered the last time she was this weak and feverish. A cool hand slid under her neck and raised her head to help her drink medicine. She frowned when lukewarm, bitter liquid hit her tongue. “Please swallow, it’ll make you feel better.” A gentle voice told her. She forced her eyes open to see a handsome Takkorik man smiling down at her, his eyes gold like glittering treasure and warm like the late morning sun. She loved those eyes instantly, unaware of how others cursed and despised them. “You are strong enough to overcome this, I know you are.”

She opened her eyes and pressed a hand against the stone wall beside her, clawing herself up to her feet. She refused to give up on his child.

Soon she was running through the streets, pushing past her exhaustion and screaming out for anyone who would listen, “Please help me! Save my son, I’ll do anything!” She knocked on the door of every clinic she came across but none would open up for her. As time marched forward and the rain fell heavier and heavier she gave up on counting on human compassion and decided to turn to the gods.

She knew very little about the gods of Takkorik- her husband never seemed to worship them- but the Sea was so far away and the Sky was hidden by rain clouds so she had no choice but to go to the temples of gods she couldn’t name. She swore to pledge herself completely to whatever god would save her son. Save her from being alone.

Finally she found a small shrine, abandoned and broken down. She fell to her knees, unable to take another step. She spoke her plea hoarsely, one last time, “I have been abandoned by humanity and the gods. I know not your name or domain but if you help my son, his son, to live then I will dedicate my life to your service. I-” her voice cracked painfully, “may not look like one of your people but my son’s father was of Takkam, please do not abandon him because of my foreign blood.” She lowered her head to the floor, too tired to think of any more pleas or promises. Too tired to do anything but let the tears in her eyes fall to the floor.

But then she heard her baby’s cry.

2