Chapter 6 – A Connection Error
94 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Here's the double upload as promised, and with this the introductory arc is also drawing to a close. For the next couple of weeks I will be uploading some side stories, which although have a different POV are still related to the main story. Hope ya'll enjoy the chapter as always <3

I tried to stand up, but the connection to the leg was truly severed, I couldn't even feel it anymore, it was as if it had been torn off from my body.

Fortunately, falling down two stories did not go unnoticed by the people in the estate; I was quickly aided by some guards, and servants who saw me lying on the ground injured. 

The news quickly traveled through the entire Grand Duchy; it had become widely known that I had become injured, and to be frank it's not something I can deny, I was indeed injured, it was surprising, I never thought that I could ever be damaged in any way, I hadn't even felt real pain before, other than perhaps emotional one due to this whole time loop thing.

Surprisingly though, not only did my brother Viktor come and check on me, but even my parents, who are usually apathetic, also came to look at how I was doing. My mother looked surprised, my would-be killer was in front, but I couldn't really do anything about it; killing her would simply bring inconveniences and would make me an actual enemy of the Grand Duchy. My father was specially uninterested, he mostly just came to see if I was still alive, the only one that looked mildly worried was Nadia, but she was still as emotionless as ever.

Some days went by with me trying to figure what to do now, to be honest moving around was difficult now, not being able to move my leg properly led to me falling repeatedly, and walking very slowly, but the main objective remained the same, obtaining my revenge was paramount; but I also noticed that things were different.

Being attacked so soon, without even being able to start my plan properly is not only an inconvenience, but it also is showing some holes in my planning.

The story itself never even mentioned that Lilith was attacked as a child, but it is possible that I may have changed certain things about the story; quickly becoming an important member of the Edeltraud Grand Duchy is something that was bound to draw attention sooner rather than later. Perhaps it was my mistake for not preparing for something like this sooner. I must also think about the book in general, perhaps it is not something that is factual, but rather suggestive, perhaps this is a world based around the book, but not the book itself. This has left me with many more doubts than before…

Regardless, it was easy to see that my family didn't really care about the attempt, they only cared that I survived, I still do not understand why my mother would try to murder me, it was somewhat ilogical, perhaps she doesn't want me to become the heir, or perhaps this was another test of hers. It feels as if she is being more wary of me for some reason.

I understand now that I need some protection, someone whom I can trust with my life; in the end I knew that I would be foolish to trust mere humans, I needed something better than that, something with no connection to this world.

It was then that a memory came to mind… I had made something before, hundreds of millions of years ago, one could say it was an experiment, or a toy; a useful toy that follows my orders perfectly.

When I was done, it just looked at me with dead eyes, no emotions or thoughts going through its mind, as if it was a husk, or a shell of something. One could say it's a parody of a human, as if making a joke out of the very humanity in a person.

For me, it's nothing but a creation of mine, something to satisfy my boredom, a being I made for nothing but my amusement.

I didn't even give it a name; why would I honestly give a name to something as worthless as this. That thing was nothing more than a cheap toy, something that I would use until it broke and then make another, just like a paper plane.

When I became Lilith I had but one thing in mind, revenge…

Revenge no matter the cost, that was the only thing that mattered, the whole reason for this endeavor; but slowly but surely I noticed a single mistake in this whole plan.

I overestimated myself, I overestimated the body I was possessing…

I've never before had a physical body, there simply was no need for one, I never knew the problems that came with one, I was never in danger of being stabbed, I had no need to feel fear, for nothing could damage me.

Someone guarding me is just downright convenient, but I of course will try to keep him hidden most of the time, if the need arises I will even fight myself, but for now he shall just stick to my shadow, and come out only when explicitly told to, if I were to run into a priest with him out and about I would only be asking for trouble.

It had been some hours since no one came into my room, and given that not even a doctor had come, I think I now fully understood the ideology of the Grand Duchy, it was summarized in a single phrase, Survival of the Fittest…

The fact that I was left mostly alone to see if I would survive was some relaxing time, without even Nadia going to my room I had enough time to prepare some other eldritch horrors and abominations that would be useful later.

I slowly but surely started to walk once again with just some slight difficulty; as I had started to make use of the hobbies I had recently acquired once I became Lilith, carpentry and smithing were truly interesting to say the least, regardless, the cane was a piece I was very proud of it.

I started by summoning materials and transforming them into what would ultimately become a cane, I chose to make it out of silver ironwood and with some ebony carvings and an ornamented handle made out of silver, and a dark hammered steel rapier blade hidden within the cane which also has my own personal rune, with my true name in the Old Runes, it had some fun side effects, but I don't really think I will use the rune's effects too much.

I named it Mardochaois, and unlike the abomination I had created to protect me from the shadows, which was nothing but a simple experiment; to say that this cane is a masterpiece is a complete understatement, as it was not only made by me, but it was truly a beautiful piece.

After some days and with the help of the cane, I started to walk once again around the estate, and surprisingly, it was only then that my family started to care about me a bit more, perhaps the fact that I actually survived was what made them more interested in me, either way the would be assassin was still close, closer than I would like to be honest.

I have understood that I may have taken this whole situation way too lightly, they may be humans, but they are still able to at least damage my body, so I need to be better prepared for the assassination attempts that will surely come in the future.

4