Chapter 9 – Days in the Academy
79 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I am happy to inform that my back pain is gone, it's finally gone; Im so happy :D In other news, theres no news, hope yall enjoy the chapter <3 I added a poll at the end of the chapter just for funsies

Another day, another migraine in this hellish place…

Nadia had changed a little bit after my work; she seemed to be more in touch with her emotions, perhaps erasing most of her memory was even good for her. Memory manipulation has never been my cup of tea, but once in a while it proves to be interesting.

She was a real piece of work, the fact that I had to do so much, even after removing her memories, was surprising to me, it even made me think on how harsh her training must have been, regardless, now she has undying loyalty towards me, exactly what I needed from an insect that is supposed to follow me unconditionally.

I honestly thought of transforming her into an abomination, but I honestly felt bad for her; which is weird, given that I barely feel anything for humans ever.

Regardless, Nadia's once severe eyes had become blurry and unfocused, she is somewhat weird right now; but I'm sure she should start feeling better soon enough. Fortunately though, her skills were not affected after the ordeal.

This may have been one of the only chances I have had to use memory manipulation, so I had to be satisfied with the results.

I could see people staring at me, for some weird reason people are curious about me; it may be because the Edeltraud family usually never leaves their territory, but either way I find it extremely annoying… 

Some were at least brave enough to try to talk to me, but most tried to keep some distance; some would even try to approach Nadia, but well, she would just direct them to me, but surprisingly I was suddenly invited to a tea party.

When I arrived though there was only one other person there. I first thought of it as a joke, but I could see the seriousness in her eyes, so I just went with it.

"Ahh, Lady Edeltraud, a pleasure."

"Hello there, Lady Ernaline I presume?"

"Ahh, I apologize, indeed, my name is Ernaline Ponitsk."

"So, tell me, why would you invite me, and only me apparently."

"Well I hate the academy and it seems you do too."

I left out a small giggle and said, "I see that we will probably get along."

Ernaline Ponitsk, seventh daughter of the Bredanberg Duchy, even if she was a human she has a somewhat strong will, I remember seeing her in the story, she was helped by the worm, she was apparently abandoned by her family, and as such she ended up becoming her maid; she tried as hard as possible to fight her brothers and her family for the right of succession since she was a small child, she may not be sharpest tool in the shed, she's incompetent at magic and fighting, but she is quick-witted and most importantly loyal.

"Let's go and sit down, Lady Edeltraud, we have much to discuss…"

"Do we?"

"Oh yes, I wanted to talk about you, no, rather about us, Lady Edeltraud."

"Were you now? Tell me, what is it that you have to say, and please, stop it with the lady, aren't we acquaintances already?"

"Thanks, Lilith. Well, you see, we are not the most popular bunch in the Academy, in my case it's because these people are fake, they just want to be with me due to me being from a high ranking duchy, but I know how easily they can turn their backs and betray me; but in your case though, it's more interesting; they don't try to associate with you, because they fear you, they fear the Lady of the Gallows."

I smirked at being called my nickname, almost no one even dared to call me by that name, "I applaud your bravery, Ernaline, calling me that is something only the most foolish, or bravest dare to say in my face." 

She looked normal, still as cordial and calm as ever, but she couldn't hide a streak of cold sweat dripping from her forehead, of course she was afraid of me too, but then again, why would she bring it up?

"Lilith, I… no we are not welcomed here you know, they may treat us both with respect, but we both know how they truly see us. I know you don't care, your use of magic and weapons may be the best in the whole empire; but your reputation precedes you."

"And what reputation do I have?"

"As if you don't know, you are extremely strong and easily the best magician, not only in the empire, but perhaps in the whole continent; one could even say that you are a genius, but there is one thing… People also say that you are a psychopath, a bloodthirsty maniac."

"Well, I do have to say that murder, torturing and the like are among my favorite pastimes, but I don't see why that would be a problem for me. To be honest, I want to be mostly ignored by people around me, until the time comes of course…"

"Well, that would be a problem."

"Why?"

"The rumors floating around are drawing too much attention to you; perhaps you should be more careful with the reputation you are building."

"And what is it that you gain by telling me this?"

"An ally, or a friend maybe? I could help you improve your reputation."

"Do you really know who you are dealing with, have you ever even seen a corpse? My reputation is something that comes from reality, and trust me, most of the rumors are leaving out the best parts."

"I bet you have a plan. You honestly remind me of my older brother Stanislow, always planning something, but unlike him you have the guts to carry those plans out."

"And what could I be planning right now, Ernaline?"

"There is one that is your main objective, of course; but there is a more pressing one right now."

"Ohh, is there?"

"You are trying to figure out if you should kill me or not, am I right?"

"What could you even provide to me?"

"I can help you fix your reputation, get expendable pawns for you to use and help you be more inconspicuous…"

"Well, it seems you are somewhat more useful than what I thought, perhaps we could be allies."

"Thanks Lilith."

"But listen to me well, Ernaline; I don't react well to arrogant idiots with no real power; so if you suddenly become one, remember to have the power to back up your arrogance."

"So you don't care if someone is arrogant, Lilith?"

"As long as you can handle it on your own…"

"Well then, let's get along from today onwards Lilith."

"Indeed, Ernaline. And don't worry, as long as you are loyal to me, you won't go through what happened to Nadia…"

She just responded with a curious, but scared silence after I told her that, she then bid me farewell and went on her way.

This is the first time in all of my life I have gotten any kind of friend or ally, most of the other gods are part of my family, so this feels kinda new, I hope though that she can be useful to me… Actually, she better be useful to me.

¿Which one is better?
  • Beef Jerky Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Assorted Nuts Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 3
1