Chapter 16
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The inside of Louis Black's office was comfortable. A large desk was in front of a floor-to-ceiling bookcase. The furniture was made of deeply colored oak with a couple of cushy leather chairs positioned in front of the desk. 

“Please. Sit.” Louis rounded the desk, taking a seat in the roller chair there. “We can get some privacy here at least.” 

Fletcher sat. “Why do we need privacy, Louis?” He swallowed, uneasily.

The room smelled like leather and Lyfe crystals, that distinct hot scent lingering in the air. 

“Fletcher, does she know about-.” He trailed off, watching Hazel. If Fletcher’s eyes were the amber of a tamed wolf, Louis's were that of a fox. Sly and knowing.

Seeing the two of them next to each other, their differences were made much more obvious. The way they carried themselves, the way they dressed, the look in their eyes. The office was welcoming and pleasant, but Hazel still couldn’t bring themself to lower their guard under Louis's astute gaze.

Fletcher glanced at Hazel. “ No.”

“Of course.” Louis left it at that. Instead, he turned to Hazel, smiling sharply. “What brings you to Ringcomb? Surely not just a visit?”

“Louis,” Fletcher growled in warning. 

   

“Don’t bare your teeth at me,” Louis laughed.”Everyone here is so boring. My shut-in brother brings a beautiful woman to my front door. This is the most interesting thing to happen to me in months.”

He turned back to Hazel. “Are you two courting or just friends?”

Hazel immediately turned their head, a fierce blush flooding over them. “I...um…,” they stammered. Louis had an analytical gaze, and they felt as if they were on the table of Garth’s Scholar again.

“You’re a rude twat aren’t you?” The insult came out sharply from Fletcher. 

“I’m not allowed to ask about my brother? Don’t be so dull, Fletcher,” Louis waved a hand. He did not look away from Hazel, smiling widely. “I’m just trying to understand. But I think I do now.” 

Sitting back in his seat, Louis folded his hands over his lap. “If you do not have a place to stay I have a guest room in my quarters. It’s within the monastery but it’s comfortable.”

Fletcher had not seemed to hear. His hand had found its way to Hazel’s own. 

The comfort of Fletcher’s grip jolted them out of their frazzled stupor. “I owe Fletcher my life.” They matched Fletcher’s smile, looking back to Louis. “I am traveling with him for the time being. Your brother has been most kind to me.”

“I’m happy to hear that.” Louis's eyes softened. Without the mischief, he could have passed for Fletcher’s twin. “Fletcher has always been quite the gentleman.” The sharp expression was back. 

Fletcher cleared his throat. “We would like to take you up on your offer for the room.” 

“Fantastic!” Louis stood up suddenly, shuffling through his desk drawers. The desk was already messy. Diagrams of beasts and creatures were scattered about, primarily that of werewolves. “I have a spare key somewhere around here.”

Fletcher took the opportunity to lean close to Hazel. “I apologize. He is a bit much, I know.”

Hazel shook their head, reassuring Fletcher. To be honest, Louis was not much different from other clients Hazel had served. Fletcher’s gentleness had spoiled them.

“It will be ok. I will just endure as I always do.” They smiled. “You haven’t seen your brother in some time, right? You should make the most of this.”

“I’m starting to remember why I hadn’t.”

“Ah!” Louis beamed, holding a large brass key aloft. “Here we are! I thought I had misplaced it.” He passed it over the disheveled desk toward them. “My quarters are on the west wing. House 301.”

Fletcher straightened up and pocketed it. “Thank you, Lou.”

“You’re welcome, of course.” Louis stood, hands folded behind his back. 

Fletcher did the same, pulling himself from the plush armchair. “We should drop our bags off and get something to eat. We’ve been traveling all morning.”

“Of course,” Louis agreed, walking around the desk to meet them. “It was lovely meeting you, Hazel.”

Rising alongside Fletcher, Hazel bowed politely. “And you as well, Louis.” 

He bowed at his waist. But his hand was once again gripping Fletcher’s arm like a vice. “Fletcher, can you please stay behind for a moment? Just a moment.”

Hazel looked back and forth between the two brothers and the key on the table, unsure how to respond to Louis's request.

Louis's gaze did not leave Fletcher's face. “Don’t worry, Hazel. I’ll only keep him for a moment. There is a bench next to the door you are free to wait at.”

   

Fletcher grimaced. “It’ll be alright, Hazel. Decide on where you’d like to eat.”

Hazel sighed. “Very well. As you wish Fletcher. I’ll try to think of something to suit your tastes.” Standing upright, they took their bag with both hands and slid out the door. The bench was as Louis said. Hazel placed their bag between their legs and took the seat. 

Fletcher was on his own with Louis. Hopefully, he would emerge with his sanity.

2