Chapter 3 : The bloody game of politics
146 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

----------------------

Crimea Peninsula_ August 17,1991

-----------------------------------------------------

A special plane flew from Moscow to the Crimea. Not knowing about the earthquakes in Kremlin. 

The identities of the delegation would have raised eyeballs to anyone. 

                    It included almost all the the top leaders of the Soviet Union's party, government and military.

 It included Secretary of the Central Committee Oleg Simonovich Schenin, Deputy Minister of Defense and Commander-in-Chief of the Army General Varennikov, Secretary of the Secretariat of the CPSU Central Committee and Assistant to Gorbachev, Borgin, and Director of the Ninth Bureau of the KGB, Yuri Sergeyevich Plekhanov. 

It was an impressive lineup, what brought these often bickering high-level leaders together was Gorbachev's 'New Alliance Treaty'. 

                           But the mood wasn't right. Many of them close their eyes, or cross their hands in prayer, because they knew that what they were going to do next would likely change the history of the Soviet Union.

Whether they will become the heroes, or be the wicked villian, is to be determined. But at this time, in everyone's heart was the same, that is, not to let the Soviet Union fall apart.

And there is only one destination for them, and that is the  resort at the southernmost tip of Crimea th edacha in Foros, Crimea.

                  Gorbachev bypassed the Politburo Committee ny the new alliance treaty, which was originally a violation of the constitution. Otherwise,  Gorbachev will not hide in this villa for more than ten days to avoid members of the Politburo. So now they are going to beg Gorbachev, is it useful? That was a big question in everyone's heart .

The Red Empire is like an old giant ship full of dangerous munitions drifting aimlessly in the vast sea. The captain at the helm has lost his way, while the anxious crew is eager to take over the captain's position and lead the empire out of the way. Dilemma.

...... 

Seemingly aware of Baklanov's unease, Varennikov patted him on the shoulder and reassured, "It's okay, everything will be fine as long as we see President Gorbachev."

               "I hope so." Baklanov forced a smile. To be honest, he didn't have much hope for Gorbachev.

The plane passed through the lush mountains and vast plains, and finally reached the sky above a red villa. Through the glass windows, you could see from the sky that the Foros villa was surrounded by elite soldiers. Plekhanov, who was in charge of Gorbachev's security work, knew very well that this was just a part of the guards. There were still many snipers ambushing at the commanding heights of the nearby mountains, and there were dozens of special patrol boats within five nautical miles. Patrol, and fifty kilometers away is the Black Sea Fleet, one of the four major Soviet fleets. The arming here can be said to be watertight.

  Now no one is in the mood to enjoy the beautiful scenery near the villa, and they are anxiously waiting for the plane to stop.

                       The plane stopped at the end of the private runway of Foros Villa. After getting off the plane, led by ninth bureau of the KGB led by Plekhanov ,the group walked towards the Presidential Villa.

At this time, Gorbachev was about to take a nap in the bedroom, when he heard the noise outside suddenly, he couldn't help but put on his clothes and walked out to find out what happened.

Gorbachev said angrily to the delegation, "Who let you in without my approval? Get out."

"It's my order, President Gorbachev. I put all the delegation in here, please forgive me." Plekhanov spoke in a humble tone. The angry Gorbachev said, 

"Damn you. Do what you want. But report my opinion!"

                      Borgin, secretary of the CPSU Central Committee, took out the emergency committee signing order from his pocket and put it in front of Gorbachev. He said solemnly, "Comrade Gorbachev, we must not let the New Alliance Treaty, This will destroy the foundation of the Soviets . I hope that from this moment the country will enter a state of emergency until the Soviets restore order."

            Gorbachev sneered and threw aside the signed order handed him, saying, "Signing order? Emergency committee? Who gave you the right? Without my approval, the emergency committee is illegal. Existence, you are a coup! A betrayal of the party! A betrayal of the highest order!"

Baklanov handed over the pen: "This is not a request, even if you don't agree, it's useless." According to the original plan, Vice President Yanayev will announce that Gorbachev is due to health reasons tomorrow morning. Suspend the general secretary and perform his duties. "

"Criticize my reforms, you don't have the qualifications, since Stalin began to reform, we had problems. What do you know about communism, just open a sentence of "Das Kapital" and who can recite it? Out of context? I can!" Gorbachev pushed the him away, it seemed that this coup was more serious than ever, he never lost against Romanov or Shcherbitsky back then, but this time it was Really encountered a tough stubble.

"You really think that the coup was successful and you will rise to the top. Then I tell you, you will only be the second Zhukov. If you are used up, you will be kicked aside. After you look at Yanayev and Boris..."

                        "You're running out of time, do whatever you want. You'll be escorted back to Moscow in a short time." Valennikov didn't bother to watch them gossip, so he simply interrupted the speech.

"Shut up, what do you know? You are just a soldier, so you take it for granted, and the duty of a soldier is to obey orders, not to participate in a coup." Gorbachev yelled at him rudely. 

               Though Gorbachev was at a disadvantage, but his struborn attitude demoralized the politburo committee. In this tongue battle, despite the odds serious maper Gorvy was winning over the old coffins of the politburo. 

At this crucial moment a guard who was in charge of protecting Gorbachev suddenly rushed up. Just before everyone could react,he pointed his gun at Gorbachev. 

"Be careful." Borkin, the assistant to the Gorbachev, exclaimed. 

Bang! Bang! 

Two buletshots rang out as the room descended into chaos. 

------------------------------------------------------

           Gorbachev collapsed to the ground, and he pressed his hand over his right shoulder and screamed. Ahhhhh...... 

Assassinating the president in front of all the top Soviet leaders, the attacker wasn't a normal person. 

The surrounding guards were not vegetarians either. Although they were one step slower than the attacker, they quickly controlled him. 

"Hurry up and call the doctor, hurry up!"  Valennikov said angrily.

In a rage, Chenin punched the attacker's still immature face and said angrily, "Who ordered you?"

       "Yeltsin! For the sake of Ukraine, Gorbachev must die!" The attacker said that with justice and awe. He did not hesitate to call out the name of the mastermind, which made everyone present flabbergasted. 

              However, what everyone did not notice was that the director of the KGB Technical Bureau, Vacheslav Genolanov, who finally entered the door to witness this scene, used a small camera to covertly record the assassin's actions and words.

Like all conspiracies at the beginning, if anyone had been willing to pay attention, they would have found that Yanayev had commented on  Genolanov in public for last two months, calling him a loyal, brave, and big-picture man. The two are said to have had a secret meeting in private, and as for what they said, only the parties and God know.

                The assassin have been taken down and guarded. When the doctor arrived in the living room.

 Although he received emergency treatment as soon as possible, and planned to send it directly to the nearest hospital by special plane, Gorbachev's private The doctor still revealed to the senior leaders present that Gorbachev is hanging by a thred and quick recovery is impossible. Everyone here should make  plans.

Everyone looked at each other in dismay, such a sudden change was not within their scope of consideration. Baklanov even asked a stupid question to the people present, "What should we do now?"

  "What can be done, the plan will be implemented normally."  Genolanov began to lead the group's voice, and while everyone was at a loss.

"We originally wanted to To make President Gorbachev unable to hold the presidency due to health problems, all rights will be handed over to Vice President Yanayev. At this time, President Gorbachev was assassinated, isn't it just in line with this? "

         Genolanov basically said what everyone dared not say, "Gorbachev is out of action, and our biggest resistance to the implementation of the emergency committee has disappeared. To put it bluntly even if Gorbachev isn't dead, and it will be a month before he is rescued. We can use this month to completely dismantle his faction."

           Everyone is silent, which is equivalent to tacitly acquiescing to Genolanov's point of view, and at this moment all everyone has to do is to rush back to Moscow to declare a state of emergency, instead of staying here and worrying about Gorbachev's life in danger. These people wished that Gorbachev would never wake up again?

Bolkin looked out the window. At this time, the Crimea Peninsula had been quiet for forty-seven years, and the sky above was shrouded in suspicion of political conspiracy, and whether Gorbachev's downfall would ignite the Soviet Union like a powder keg in the Balkans. Internal wars, and conflicts between the allied nations?

The members of the Emergency Committee immediately borded the plane to the Kremlin. 

-----------------------------------------------------

"Yes. I got it. Make sure they completely understood it. ((Chang))"

                Andrei put down the phone after hearing the good news. 

"This batch of lists needs to be expedited." He sat in the office and handed the list one by one to Lukashenko and Natalia.

"Commander of the Airborne Army Yevgeny Shaposhnikov, his confidants are the Gorbachev's cronies are all here. One by one, don't let it go. Those who are stubborn and persuaded can take some extraordinary measures."

In addition, some other people were mixed into the list. Most of them are Westernized, well-known, independent elements. As for the inclusion of some of my  Andrei's opponents, it is not harmful. Which coup did not have a wrongful conviction? 

He has been planning this major cleaning operation .The details are basically perfect. 

         Lukashenko said excitedly: "I will not let the commander down ! I will defend Moscow with arms!"

( If this is really successful, I will also be regarded as a major contributor in the future.) He thought 

" That's the sprit! " Andrei patted him on the shoulder, looked at the other young carders "If there is any difficulty, remember don't hesitate."

"Yes, sir!" A  dozen of youthfull voice answard collectively. 

                  Then  Andrei looked towards the old coffins , the politburo members. 

"Let's go comrades! Let's welcome our compatriots ! "

8