Chapter 8: Facts are often not the same as truth.
74 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

August 18, 1991 .------------

On the road more than ten kilometers away from the center of Moscow, hordes of T72 tanks are walking on the road in an orderly manner. These steel blades from the Manta Division are heading to the center of Moscow to prepare for martial law. Entering Moscow at four o'clock in the morning is to consider that the next emergency committee's announcement on TV may plunge Moscow into disorder and chaos. 

  Andrei is sitting on the cold roof of the T72 tank numbered 100. The cool night wind blows his hair. The reason why he chooses to ride in the tank is not a show, but a full demonstration of Andre's tough attitude and determination. In history, Yeltsin stood on this tank and delivered that provocative speech, which eventually led to the vacillating Moscow garrison completely throwing itself into the embrace of the liberal camp.

  At this time, Andrei’s mood is not much easier than when he assassinated Yeltsin, because what he will face next is the people of Moscow. 

He knew here is a certain gap between ideals and reality. Without iron and blood, it is difficult to rule this vast red empire.

  An imperial executioner? Andrei smiled wryly and shook his head. It is destined that these people will not understand his painstaking efforts. Maybe he will be labeled as a tyrant, and those intellectuals who have lost their country will compare him to Hitler. Perhaps someone will shout and rectify his name decades later, but it is a pity that he will never hear it again.

  The tank commander climbed out of the turret and said to Andrei, "Your Excellency, the Vice President, we are almost there. The center of Moscow is ahead."

Beside him was Yanayev, the new 'official' genaral secratary of the Soviet union.

  Yanayev nodded to him, then turned his head to Andrei,

"Will it be alright?"

Andrei look at the crowded street full of protesters , and said slowly, "Someone has to wake up the Soviet with blood and violence, so now, let me be the captain of this dilapidated ship." The helmsman is ready."

__________________

When the citizens of Moscow got up in the morning and turned on the TV as usual, they were surprised to find that no matter which station they switched to, the ballet "Swan Lake" was playing without exception.

 The repeating melody made them think that the TV station Is something wrong. However, some Moscow citizens with a little bit of media experience speculated that there might be some new changes within the Soviet government.

  In fact, if they had turned on the TV half an hour earlier, they would have seen the "Report to the Citizens of the Soviet Union" played by the Moscow TV host, and the Soviet Central Television and the radio station officially announced the order of the Soviet Vice President Yanayev: Gorbachev was unable to perform the duties of the president due to health reasons. According to Article 127 of the Soviet Constitution, Vice President Yanayev acted as president.

 A little bit different from history, only Prime Minister Pavlov and First Vice Chairman of the National Defense Council Baklanov jointly signed the "Statement of the Soviet Leadership", announcing that from 4:00 on August 18, 1991, in the Soviet Union A six-month state of emergency was implemented in individual places, and the Soviet State Emergency Committee was established. Yanayev and Anderi followed the Taman Division tank unit to the White House.

  Pavlov also received news this morning that a convoy of Yeltsin's guards was ambushed outside Moscow last night. All the agents protecting Yeltsin were killed, while Yeltsin's whereabouts are unknown. Pavlov also roughly guessed the cause and effect from the report, but he still sweated secretly. Andrei's methods were so clean and neat. For them, is this a good thing or a bad thing.

  Pavlov couldn't help looking at the sky outside the Kremlin office window with a gloomy face, sighed helplessly, and said to the secretary beside him, "We have done our best in many things, and the way the Soviet will go next depends on God's will." 

  The prime minister's secretary next to Pavlov looked embarrassed, not knowing how to answer the prime minister's words

__________________

This time Anderi wanted to completely breaking the image of the savior of democracy and freedom that Yeltsin had painstakingly created. When the tank advanced to the intersection near the White House, the crowd of onlookers gradually increased, and no one seemed to realize that the middle-aged man sitting abruptly on the tank was their vice president and would be godfather. 

Most of the onlookers were young people. They looked at Yanayev standing still on top of the tank with malicious eyes, and watched every move of the Taman Division vigilantly. He smiled towards Anderi. Anderi had a bitter smile in the other tank.

  These people are probably Yeltsin's supporters, Andrei thought secretly in his heart. He analyzed the current situation and found that these people did not take any further actions. 

Presumably they did not receive instructions from the top officials of the White House. Andrei still doesn't know the specific situation in the White House. He hopes that when the tanks arrive at the square, they can hear the news of Yeltsin's suicide.

  At eight o'clock in the morning on the 19th, twenty-six tanks surrounded the White House tightly. The artillery was aimed at this building, which symbolized the supreme power of the Soviet nation, and the nearby intersection was also blocked by the secret police of the Ministry of the Interior to prohibit vehicles from passing.

  The originally roudy Moscow citizens finally began to gather in the square curiously, only to find that these tank soldiers were hurriedly building a curtain like an open-air movie, and then moved out the projector and placed it in front of the curtain. At this time, the Yeltsin supporters who originally wanted to step forward to stop them also stopped their small movements. They were curiously watching what these soldiers were going to do.

  Not only the White House, but also the Red Square and other important public places have set up curtains to play open-air movies in the same way, and the passing Moscow citizens also stopped because of curiosity.

On the square, Andrei personally pressed the start button, the film began to rotate, and a piece of blurry but still clearly visible video material was projected on the screen. When Gorbachev's attention-grabbing face appeared on the screen, the silent crowd suddenly exploded.

  The expression of Gorbachev in the film looks a little angry, but because of the light, many people can only see the outline of the picture and the sound transmitted from the stereo to everyone's ears.

  "Shut up, what do you know, Varennikov. You are just a soldier, so you take it for granted, and the vocation of a soldier is to obey orders, not to participate in a coup d'état."

  The citizens were surprised to see that the general secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, who seemed never to lose his temper, turned out to have a frantic expression at this time, showing Gorbachev's rude side to the Moscow citizens. Then the screen suddenly vibrated, and in full view of everyone, the segment of Gorbachev's assassination was played.

  The crowd exploded when they heard the last sentence, "Long live President Yeltsin", the people's fury was instantly ignited. KGB agents hiding among the citizens fanned the flames and shouted, "Yeltsin is hiding in the White House!" "Let's go and catch that executioner!" "Avenge President Gorbachev! Long live the protection of the Soviets!"

  The bewitched crowd chanted slogans against Yeltsin and rushed to the White House. Those who originally supported Yeltsin's riots looked at each other in blank dismay. The plot did not follow their script at all, and they didn't know what to do for a while.

  A large group of people filled with righteous indignation has gathered in front of the White House. It is ridiculous that the Taman division who originally arrested Yeltsin has now turned into a steel barrier to protect the White House in order to stop the emotional people. The ever-gathering Moscow citizens tried to storm the barricades and pour into the White House, but were stopped by soldiers.

Not only that top reporters from all over the world were directly filliming the entire moment. They broadcasting fanatically, knowing that they are in front of a crucial moment of history.

Because of Gorvochov's liberal politics, foreign journalists were finally able to operate in Soviet union freely.

Emergency council originally wanted to ban them again but Andrei stopped them, he wanted the whole world to witness the his glory.

And he wasn't wrong every leader of every country on earth was watching it on tv.

The BBC's journalist enthusiasticly broadcasted every information he could find. Then his shap eyes caught,Yanave on a tank and reported, " Gentleman look at Yanayav ! He's on a tank! Soviet general secretary is on a tank!"

  Yanayev, who was sitting on the tank, saw the scene, looked at Andrei for a moment who gave him a look,  patted his clothes and stood up, picked up the loudspeaker beside him, and prepared the speech.

  "Citizens of Moscow, please calm down. I am the Vice President of the Soviet Union, General Secretary Gennady Ivanovich Yanayev." Yanayev's voice was steady.

But the moment Yanayev revealed his identity, the bustling crowd slowly became quiet. This may be the unique appeal of politicians.

  Yanayev ignored the angry eyes of the crowd, and continued on his own, "I regret that the government deceived everyone. Gorbachev was not unable to take up the post of general secretary because of health problems, but because of the shameless traitors. Assassination! As you can see, the despicable Yeltsin betrayed the people. He deceived everyone with the slogan of democracy and freedom. He is an out-and-out shady villain. Fortunately, those who fight for justice and truth will not be succumbed to his little tricks.

However, if someone tries to attack the White House, then I will regard him as an accomplice who wants to rescue Yeltsin out of the chaos, and a coward who betrayed the Russian people and the country." Speaking of this, Yanayev picked up the AKS74U at the feet said coldly, "We will send him to see God!"

(Ou go  Yanayav! I swear i will give you a Oscar award after this.) Andrei was genuinely surprised.

  Yanayev's speech drew thunderous applause from the crowd. He raised his hand to express his gratitude and gratitude to the crowd. Suddenly, he noticed a guy in the crowd with a peaked cap quickly passing through the crowd and walking towards him. . 

Yanayev instinctively sensed a hint of threat, and took a few steps back. He was about to speak to the soldier beside him, but the soldier had already walked only ten steps away from him, and then he pretended to raise his hands to applaud, when the small pistol hidden in his palm suddenly fired at him.

  Because the flame arrester was installed, the weak gunshots were immediately drowned out by waves of applause. Yanayev fell slowly in front of everyone. He only felt the burning pain from the wound, and the pain of covering the wound The palm of his hand was a shocking dark red.

  When the murderer fled, he ignored the crowds around him and shouted loudly, "Long live Yeltsin, long live Russia! long live democracy." Realizing that something was wrong, the guard hurriedly chased after the assailant.

"Protect the general secretary!"Anderi was the first one who rushed to Yanayav. 

The entire scene is captured by the camera and thus Anderi makes his debut in in the public eye for the first time, heroicly defending the Soviet leader.

  "This guy, it's really... a bit ruthless!" Yanayev looked at the figure that was fading away, his consciousness gradually blurred. When the guards around him rushed up, he only felt that the whole world was absorbed by a sponge It became quiet like a tone, and then closed its eyelids heavily. The busy guards around him didn't notice Yanayev's smile after his plot succeeded

Politics is a wonderful show of lying. No one will question Yeltsin's motives for assassinating Gorbachev, and no one will wonder why the guards brought toxins into the Foros villa. Perhaps someone will consider this after the turmoil has passed, and the only thing people believe at this time is that the assassin they saw with their own eyes was sent by Yeltsin.

  Facts are often not the same as truth.

5