| V1 | Chapter 2: A Friend?
545 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was early in the morning as I ran alongside the riverbank, filling my lungs with fresh air. I stopped by the bridge. Naturally, it’s where I’d always stop.

Why? You may ask?

Well… Let me tell you!

There are cats here, and they enjoy my company! I mean… it would be pretty sad if that wasn’t the case after all these years….

So…

Playing with them has sort of become a routine. I honestly want to feed them some food~ but I was taught not to feed stray animals… cuz, you know? It can lead to issues. At least, that’s what Mom said.

‘Ahem…’

It’s not like I’m feeding them or anything—okay, I totally am!

Just a little, though… so keep this a secret, okay?

And after stopping by and playing with the cats, I’d head back home. But before that, I had to wake up my neighbour too.

Why?

Well… she lives next door, and we’ve known one another since being tiny small rascals. But that’s beside the point. She’s now a college student, yet she needs someone to wake her up!

Like…!

Seriously!

Well, her parents can’t wake her up since they work very early in the morning, They tried to make her wake up earlier in the past, but she’d end up falling asleep again.

So…

Guess what? It’s up to me!

Well… I wake up earlier than her, and we usually head out at the same time—it was bound to happen….

And usually, when you visit someone, even if you know them. You’d still need to knock or ring the bell, right?

Nope! I’ll just enter!

Mahahaha!

Though, I do have permission. And her parents gave me a spare key. Of course, it initially felt a little strange, and it was quite the hurdle.

But as I got used to it, welp…

“Hey, Lisa, get up,” I complained as I pulled the blanket away from her.

“Luke… it’s you again…” she softly said with sleepy eyes.

Seriously? This again?

“Yes, it’s me again for like the: ‘too many times to count’!”  

After waking her up, we head over to my place to eat breakfast with my family. And all that was left was to head out. Both our schools were within walking distance. But we’d part ways relatively soon as we head in different directions.

And as I was making my way to school. I spotted a delinquent group, our eyes met, and they’d just click their tongue.

Hey, that’s a bit rude!

Well, I wouldn’t say that aloud since it’d be a pain to deal with, as trouble would just fly my way.  

Many people were walking in the same direction and would occasionally glance at them, but most tended to ignore them to stay out of trouble.

I can somewhat relate….

And… seeing people walk side by side to school did make me feel slightly jealous, maybe? Perhaps?

Yes okay! I am jealous!

‘Sigh’

well… I’ll make a friend eventually, right?  

I know that I can’t just mop around, but! I want friends without any effort, you know!? Some that I really click well with!  

Welp, I know it’s a silly thought, though~.

— :::: —

During lunch break, I headed to the backside of the school building. I’ll get to heal my heart with some Shu, I guess…

But as I turned around the corner, I saw a blond boy.

He seemed to be injured, and Shu was sort of annoying toward him, trying to lick the wounds on his arm,

Aww… that’s so cute~! Although… it’s not good at all, Shu, don’t do that!  

“Hey Shu, you shouldn’t lick his wounds like that.” I stepped in between them, getting Shu away from the blond boy.

Meow?’ Shu replied, tilting its head as it looked at me, picking him up.  

Cats usually hate these things, but Shu lets me pick him up like this, which is adorable! He’d meow and lick my palms.

Geez…

I’ll feed you only a little later, okay?

“Sorry bout that. He was being an annoyance, wasn’t he?” I asked the boy.

Ha? Well, yes, the cat was an annoyance… so, what are you doing here?” he replied with a sharp glare.

“Oh? Sorry, I was about to have some lunch, and you?” I answered.

He had an annoyed look and huffed at me, saying, “I wanted some peace and quiet. That’s all,” while he tried to get up. But for some reason, he sat back down again.

“Injured?” I asked in a soft tone.

He turned and glared at me. “What? What does it look like, moron?”

Well… I wasn’t trying to provoke him or anything. And pretty much anyone could tell he was injured. And some people would deny that they’re hurt at all, so, you know? Perhaps he was one of them? I don’t want to just assume, you know?

“…you look injured?”

Haa? What the hell then!? Why’d ya ask!?” he asked, sounding all mad and stuff.

“I have some bandaids if that helps? Oh! But the infirmary is nearby, so we could also get some sanitisers!”

No,” he strongly disagreed.  

— :::: — 

After treating the boy, he finally began to open up to me, aka, speaking to me since he was giving me the silent treatment after I dragged him all the way to the infirmary.

“…what’s your name?” he asked.

Hm? I didn’t tell you? My name is Luke. This is Shu, and what’s yours?

“...the name’s Kayle. You’re a guy, right?”

Hahaha… what a question thrown my way….

“Huh? Well, of course, I am! How rude!” I puffed my cheeks, showing him my dissatisfaction.

Pffts, Ahahaha, right~ sooo, not a guy reaciton~. But looking closely, I don’t think I’ve seen girls wear a guy’s uniform before.”

…really now?

You…

‘Sigh’

I agree that I may have a girlish look, but I don’t act like one though?

Dropping the subject, I decided to ask how he was doing. “Anyhow, why were you injured in the first place,” I asked while tilting my head ever so slightly.

“Got into a fight, that’s all,” Kayle replied.

“That so?”  

“Well, you don’t seem very surprised. C’mon, be at least a little.”  

“I could tell just by looking,” I nonchalantly replied.

He glared at me, asking, “Are you picking a fight?”

“No, please don’t hurt me,” I monotonously replied.

It was a joke, of course. I hope he doesn’t take it personally.

He let out a sigh, asking me another question. “are you here often?”

I tilted my head. “Yeah? Practically every school day?

“I see… in that case, can I also come?” Kayle asked while scratching his cheek.

This guy’s making me a little confused. He… wanna be friends!?

“Hm? Sure? Why not?” I replied with a soft smile.

“…are you sure you’re not a girl?” Kayle asked with a blank and serious expression.

“……”

Mom, Dad, I think I just made a delinquent friend.

10